Florida fishing

Bkimble

FNG
I will be heading to treasure island area of Florida at the end of March for family vacation.. I’ve been here once in the past but it was in June and we caught a ton of fish surf fishing.. last year we went to Destin area first week of March and it was a lot cooler temps and water temp was a lot cooler fishing was very slow.. so I was just wondering if anyone from to area could let me know what to target and what’s best tactic/bait to use that time of year surf fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
I can't help with that area, but been going to Destin for past 5 years or so. Always targeting the Pomp run March-May. Sounded like the cool Spring held things up a bit later last year. We had good fishing last week in April. Lots of Pomps, few Drums, and plenty of junk fish. (Hardtails, Lady Fish) Biggest thing I look forward too after the hunting seasons close at the first of the year.
Good luck!

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG
Yea the pomp run is what I look forward to also.. but we plan this trip around my sons spring break each year and for whatever reason last year it was first week of March so it put us earlier than usual.. I’m hoping this year with it being end of March and further south we will be right on time

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
I would think that combo would be in your favor. I've had good luck with Salty's Pompano Rigs. I use the double drop with sand fleas and fish bites. One corner of my garage is filled with ice fishing gear, and the other is all the random surf fishing crap I start ordering this time of year for an annual trip:rolleyes:

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG
Same exact set up I use

OXN939

WKR
I would rent a kayak and hit some inshore stuff too, right around the passes.

This, big time. SST is in the high 40s along the panhandle right now, but the inshore bite is still excellent with the right presentation. Key is staying niiiice and slow. If I could only take one bait, it'd be a Mirrolure 17MR

Screenshot_20240124_130433_Gallery.jpg