Florida FNG

1234AveA

Lil-Rokslider
Until last year, I had mainly just gone dove and duck with an occasional hog hunt (from Texas). Last year I went to Wyoming for my first west hunt, filling my antelope tag on public land. This year I was lucky enough to draw an elk tag in Idaho. This forum has a great community. I have been training for the Idaho trip this summer and I am going to start carrying a 50 pound sand bag today in my pack and hiking shoes I plan on wearing.

Any other training ideas people use?

Fowler530

WKR
Welcome from NorCal!! Sounds like you’re off to a good start. Good luck with your elk hunt this year!

Loper

WKR
Until last year, I had mainly just gone dove and duck with an occasional hog hunt (from Texas). Last year I went to Wyoming for my first west hunt, filling my antelope tag on public land. This year I was lucky enough to draw an elk tag in Idaho. This forum has a great community. I have been training for the Idaho trip this summer and I am going to start carrying a 50 pound sand bag today in my pack and hiking shoes I plan on wearing.

Any other training ideas people use?

Welcome 1234AveA. Good luck on your Idaho elk hunt. Train hard and hunt harder.

Being from Florida and Texas, you are probably going to be susceptible to the cold. The best recommendation I can give you is to layer up and hunt even if the conditions suck. A hot shower back at the hotel only lasts a few minutes, but the memories of challenging hunt resulting in a nice trophy lasts a lifetime,

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
You got this, did my first out west mountain hunt a few years ago. Learned so much. From clothing to the right mind set as well as the thermals . I hunted with someone who was in better shape and much younger, yet he just could not keep putting one foot in front of the other.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
Glad you found your way here. You should be able to find an answer to just about any question you might have about hunting out west.

Waidmannsheil from Germany!