Fly reel suggestions

OP
Bbell12

Bbell12

WKR
Just bought a Lamson Liquid on sale at Sportsman’s Warehouse for $70 with free shipping. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowTrout

FNG
Another vote for the Orvis Battenkill. I've had mine for about 12 years and still going strong. It's beat up but still works great.

sndmn11

WKR
Not all fly lines are created equal, get yourself a decent line and ill see you down the rabbit hole somewhere,it goes deep..........the tug is the drug.

This is way more important the the reel. I am partial to AirFlo lines because they do not use PVC, and they should last significantly longer than the other brands that do. They also have a good mix of tapers so that you can match your typical conditions and be best set up for a quality result.

Never understood paying big bucks for a reel on a 5wt rod. It holds line only in my opinion. I have used a 30 dollar medalist for 30+ years. Never lost a fish because of my reel.

Reactions: GG9
It depends on what rod you are using and what type of fishing you are using your outfit for. For some techniques the drag isn't important, for others it is.

In general you will want something that matches the wt # on your rod to get you in the ballpark then use a fly fishing rod balancers to balance out your rig for best performance.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve got a Lamson Liquid and a Guru. If you can find a Guru on sale go that route. They are a little more stout. The liquid is really nice but if you drop one in rocks the frame can bend pretty easily. This is just my personal experience with a little bit older one, looks like the newer Liquids look like my Guru so maybe that’s not an issue anymore?
I’ve also got a nice little 3wt reel from Headwaters called the St. Joe. It was not very expensive and does the job. Also have a 4wt Battenkill that I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
I have an Orvis Encounter rod and reel set, cost me something like $160, have been using it without issue for 7-8 years now. No broken tips or any other issues and I fish with it all winter long. I don’t know about anywhere else but any fishing you do in Colorado the reel is just a line holder. I wouldn’t spend any more than I had to but I get it, there are those guys out there that have to have the $1k rods and $300 reels just like any other sport.