Flying to Canada: Best Practices

Bones24

FNG
Make sure to get your rifle re-importation paperwork done early and keep 2 copies in waterproof bags.

Bring spare locks for your gun case in your carry on; I’ve had my locks cut off on 2 trips to Canada. It was very disconcerting to claim my case in Edmonton and Calgary with cut locks inside along with a TSA tag, but there was nothing missing either time.
Great idea on back up locks. I think as of now you still have to show proof of vaccination status. Hoping by Aug. all the Covid hassles are clear.

I avoid Air Canada if at all possible. West Jet is a friendlier airline in my experience. Calgary and Edmonton airports are used to hunters. The small airlines that fly north out of Edmonton (and Winnipeg) are great for hunters, just be prepared for potential weather delays!

Bones24

FNG
Anybody traveling on these trips buying travel insurance? Any suggestions appreciated. I got a quote the other day from Global Rescue for a "cancel for any reason" policy and it was shockingly expensive. I'm a little leery of paying up for insurance and then not being able to collect in the event that weather or covid issues cause a problem. Not sure that is covered on a basic policy.

tuffcity

WKR
I'd check with your credit card company to see what sort of travel insurance they might provide. I travel to the US a bit and my card covers me quite well for trip cancellation/interruption as well as medical and auto rental.

Bones24

FNG
Make sure to get your rifle re-importation paperwork done early and keep 2 copies in waterproof bags.

Bring spare locks for your gun case in your carry on; I’ve had my locks cut off on 2 trips to Canada. It was very disconcerting to claim my case in Edmonton and Calgary with cut locks inside along with a TSA tag, but there was nothing missing either time.
Where did you get your CBP Form 4457 taken care of before flying? Do you go to the US Customs office before checking in for flight or can you do it weeks ahead of time at local Customs office? Leaving for Canada 7/31. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Bones24

FNG
Thanks, I was able to take care of Form 4457 this morning at local Customs office. Is there also paperwork that needs to be arranged ahead of time to transport wild sheep meat, cape and head back into the US? I researched US Fish & Wildlife website and it just wasn't that clear to me. Just looking for standard protocol.

MattB

WKR
Those who intimated that they travelled with their rifle bolt in their carry-on, that is a no-no. From the TSA website.
  • Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.

Not sure about the specific rules for international travel, but domestically you can use TSA-recognized locks although I understand that many wouldn’t want to.

OMB

WKR
Thanks, I was able to take care of Form 4457 this morning at local Customs office. Is there also paperwork that needs to be arranged ahead of time to transport wild sheep meat, cape and head back into the US? I researched US Fish & Wildlife website and it just wasn't that clear to me. Just looking for standard protocol.

Good that you were able to take care of away quickly. I'm working through the same so thought I'd reply: I called the local customs number for our international aiprort/port, the officer working asked when I was planning on being in just so nobody was freaked out by somebody walking into the office with a gun case. Otherwise, it was on a drop in basis, but it may very by airport. Customs & Border Patrol should have a list by state available online on what airports that they have presence.

If I didn't live close by an office, I would have dedicated a day to getting to the nearest one with how backed up everything is at the airports right now, especially for something like a sheep hunt in Canada.

And as someone that's crossed into Canada with firearms before, I can't recommend enough having all of your paperwork neatly arranged in a folder. They'll appreciate it and it will go so much more smoothly, especially if you have less than a 3 hour connection. Air Canada's published times for connections in Canadian airports are running minimum 2 hours right now if you have to go through customs, not worth getting stressed out on the front end of a major hunt.

HoneyDew

WKR
Fly Alaska Air. They are hands down the the most hunter capable major airline in North America. While not every employee is competent I have flown multiple times with guns and ammo and they are easy and consistent. Just read their section on firearms and follow it.

KU_Geo

WKR
Anyone have experience bring horns/cape back with them as checked baggage? Seems like many outfits us a local business to crate/ship post season, but I’d prefer to bring it back with me as baggage if at all possible.

Trial153

WKR
Anyone have experience bring horns/cape back with them as checked baggage? Seems like many outfits us a local business to crate/ship post season, but I’d prefer to bring it back with me as baggage if at all possible.

I have brought horns, capes and meat back from Ca as checked baggage with no issues. Several times.
30dcb74c40318e49a30d5b74c570b039.jpg

KU_Geo

WKR
I have brought horns, capes and meat back from Ca as checked baggage with no issues. Several times.
30dcb74c40318e49a30d5b74c570b039.jpg
Besides getting horns plug and having your hunting licenses/guide paperwork, anything specific need for importing? Google hasn’t brought me to a real clear answer

Trial153

WKR
Besides getting horns plug and having your hunting licenses/guide paperwork, anything specific need for importing? Google hasn’t brought me to a real clear answer

Customs will have a exportation form for you fill out, I always have my license, tags and outfitter information available at that time as well. I have never had any issues and process has always been pleasant for the most part.

OMB

WKR
I just came through Edmonton yesterday with a cooler of checked meat and my horns/cape in a duffel with my gear. It was super simple filling out the paperwork, they actually told me the export tags you get when you check your trophies in Canada didn't actually matter and isn't something they require to bring back stuff into the US, but YMMV.

I felt like a total Boomer when I do this, but going up and coming back, I had everything from itinerary to gun permits printed out in a folder, and as I got more forms, kept those handy in there. I got some ribbing about it from other younger hunters my age, but having my printed itinerary and receipt sure came in handy when the check in lady at Canadian North told me she didn't have any record of my booking on the way up.

WCB

WKR
I just came through Edmonton yesterday with a cooler of checked meat and my horns/cape in a duffel with my gear. It was super simple filling out the paperwork, they actually told me the export tags you get when you check your trophies in Canada didn't actually matter and isn't something they require to bring back stuff into the US, but YMMV.

I felt like a total Boomer when I do this, but going up and coming back, I had everything from itinerary to gun permits printed out in a folder, and as I got more forms, kept those handy in there. I got some ribbing about it from other younger hunters my age, but having my printed itinerary and receipt sure came in handy when the check in lady at Canadian North told me she didn't have any record of my booking on the way up.
When ever I fly with firearms I have everything in a small zip up planner and a copy of any firearm import permits in my gun case. I also have 3 keys. 1 on my person, 1 in my planner, and 1 in my carry on. I've seen the shit show that ensues when people are digging for documents or scrolling through their phone for information or digging for a key.

I have been greeted a few times with a sigh of relief and more cordial conversation than the people go through the lines around me when they see organization and competence.

Reactions: OMB

DaHardy

FNG
I understand ammo can't be in gun case going into Canada. AirCanada. What about something like a bipod shooting stick?

OMB

WKR
I understand ammo can't be in gun case going into Canada. AirCanada. What about something like a bipod shooting stick?
Definitely fine in the gun case. I know trekking poles have gotten guys in trouble trying to carry them on because of the points, so if your shooting sticks have the footed ends that can rotate into a point, fly them with the gun or in checked baggage.

Hey guys, I know the topic of logistics for sheep hunts in Canada has been discussed many times, and I've probably read every thread, but the world of commercial air travel between the US and Canada has changed over the last couple years. I'm looking for advice/best practices from the post-COVID era, I know thats really only one hunting season. Background, I was incredibly fortunate and won a Huntin Fool raffle for a stone sheep hunt in BC that was originally scheduled August 2021. But, with the shortened season and the clients that rolled over from the cancelled 2020 season, my hunt was pushed to August 2022.

I'm currently looking in to commercial flights from Virginia to Whitehorse. My options are to fly on Air Canada through either Toronto or Montreal, on to Vancouver, and then on to Whitehorse, or, fly on Alaska Air to Seattle, on to Vancouver and then hop on Air North to Whitehorse. Prices and times are similar enough that it isn't a determining factor. I'm wondering if anyone has found it easier to fly with a rifle on Alaska Air vs Air Canada or if there is any advantages to connect through Montreal vs Toronto?

Another factor in logistics is that I'm planning on bringing the meat home, if I am lucky enough to tag a ram. I'll have a soft cooler as a carry on bag that I'll transport optics in prior to the hunt. I've discussed this with my outfitter and he has told me that there shouldn't be a problem with getting everything back to Whitehorse after the hunt...again, if I am so fortunate.

Sorry for the long winded post, this will be my first time hunting in Canada. Thank you in advance.
Feel free to leave any other advice from your experiences with the logistics of getting to and from with all of your gear intact.
Hey Tommy,
How did your sheep hunt go?

Any advice you would give to others now that you have done it?

Reactions: OMB