FNG - Houston Tx

kv2004

FNG
Evening Gang,

Just wanted to throw a post here in the FNG spot, I saw a pair of binos in the classifieds that I seem interesting, but realized I need a post history before I can respond. Usually more of a reader than a participant in these type things. Just wish I wasn't quite so much of a "buy once cry once" type. Stuff gets expensive. However, the 2k I spent on the rifle and scope can probably be at least 80% recovered if I sell it, my wife can't say the same for those overstuffed chairs from Ethan Allen.

Anyway, I'm Houston based, getting back into the hobby after a 20 year break. College, marriage, kids, career all that pulled me away and kept me pretty close to home most of the time. Also used to always hunt with my grandpa and since he left the world that was one less reason to get out. Some family just had a falling out with some lease mates after a handful of them were at the lease nearly 24/7 being drunk yahoos. So those guys are gone and family invited me to join up and try to make it more of a family place, so I'm giving it a go this year. Bought a new rifle and have been slowly adding some gear each week to get myself ready for the season in early November.

Honestly the "shoot the deer" part is personally the least interesting part of the whole experience, but I've always loved getting outdoors, roughing it a little bit, and enjoying good company around the campfire. The hunting we do down here is only slightly more strenuous than watching a Sunday afternoon football game from a recliner, so I'm sure we seem like a bunch of weenies to many of you western hunters, but it beats a day in the office 99.9% of the time.

Well that's my 2 cents. Cheers.

Always glad to have another Texan.

I’m from Magnolia, Tx and did some of my growing up in Houston and Spring. Dad and sister are still in Magnolia and I’ve moved up to central Arkansas.

This is a pretty good place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
K

kv2004

FNG
Always glad to have another Texan.

I’m from Magnolia, Tx and did some of my growing up in Houston and Spring. Dad and sister are still in Magnolia and I’ve moved up to central Arkansas.

This is a pretty good place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We took a long weekend up to central Arkansas a few years back. Stayed at a state park about an hour NW of Little Rock. Was a surprisingly beautiful place. Wife keeps wanting to seriously consider getting a place somewhere in the area, somewhere with some elevation to use as an escape from the Houston heat. I'm not sold yet, I think I'm honestly just prejudiced against the image of methy Arkansas folks that's probably completely inaccurate. Plus it just felt a little too far to really use as a gettaway.