Houston, TX

Mosby

WKR
My daughter has to move to the Houston area in the next few months for a 1 year pharmacy residency and I need to find an apartment for her in a nice area. The employer is located off the toll road in NW Houston. She'll being working remote part of the time but I don't want to put her on the wrong side of town. I don't know Houston at all. Any specific towns/areas on that side of the city to look into or areas to avoid?

Looking for a starting place. Thanks.

schmalzy

WKR
My daughter has to move to the Houston area in the next few months for a 1 year pharmacy residency and I need to find an apartment for her in a nice area. The employer is located off the toll road in NW Houston. She'll being working remote part of the time but I don't want to put her on the wrong side of town. I don't know Houston at all. Any specific towns/areas on that side of the city to look into or areas to avoid?

Looking for a starting place. Thanks.

NW Houston a pretty big area; by toll road do you mean 99, 249 or 8?

Some nice places off 249/99 area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
NW Houston a pretty big area; by toll road do you mean 99, 249 or 8?

Some nice places off 249/99 area.

Company is off of 8 just south of 290, if that helps.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I’ll do some looking see what I can find. There are definitely some shit hole areas around here but there are some good parts as well. Same as any of the othe metro area in Texas.
I've lived in DC, Dallas and Kansas City. I'm very familiar with shit hole areas....lol.

Hoping to keep her commute within an hour one way, if I can. Appreciate the help.

schmalzy

WKR
Company is off of 8 just south of 290, if that helps.

There’s some complexes off of West rd that aren’t too bad. The further out of town you get generally the better. I’d try to get closer to 99 if possible.

TxLite

WKR
I’d look at Cypress, Tomball, Magnolia, & Woodlands.

Avoid Greenspoint area like the plague. It’s been dubbed “Gunspoint” for a reason.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I've lived in DC, Dallas and Kansas City. I'm very familiar with shit hole areas....lol.

Hoping to keep her commute within an hour one way, if I can. Appreciate the help.

This gives a lot of options. There's area's not too bad right in the 8/290 area but I'm not familiar enough to pin it down for you. If she's willing to drive then that makes things easier; Tomball or anything 30 minute's out of town on 290.

Look at the Hockley, Waller to Hempstead area's. That's within 25 miles of 8 and 290.

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I would look further north to around 99 and 290 as there are better areas.

I stay just north of Tomball and it takes roughly 25 minutes with traffic to get from 290 and beltway. With an 1 hr radius there are plenty of nice places.

TJfromTX

FNG
Check into Bridgeland, its a relatively new development on the Grand Parkway, South of 290.
I've lived in Tomball (previously) and Sugarland (currently), and wouldn't recommend either.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Appreciate all the help guys. All this information gives us a good starting point. Thanks.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Not sure of the “area” however my step kid was looking at going to school at Ocean Corporation…
Luckily he went elsewhere . Stay far away if you pull it up on maps.

That WHOLE area was eye openingly bad
In the one weekend we were there witnessed a high speed chase and subsequent accident with the locals running on foot away like something out of a movie.. They literally just missed our jeep and hit the phone pole beside us… would have killed us if we had been hit.

Then the hotel the SCHOOL recommended was literally crawling with bed bugs … homeless out the ass .. every parking lot had used syringes and hookers

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Our office is located in Sugar Land, which is in the SW part just off 59 and is nice, but would be a bit of a drive. Katy, which is closer to where you’re talking about, is really nice. But Houston and all its surrounding areas is HUGE and traffic is terrible. I’d live as close to my work as possible without being in any bad parts.

Last edited:
I’m from Magnolia. Magnolia, Cypress, Tomball, Woodlands and even Hockely and Hempstead are all good. Stay outside of the grand parkway (99).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One of my company offices is very close to your daughter’s new office area.

If she is making decent money I would strongly suggest moving to the Heights (it can be pricey). This is a great area for young people with restaurants, bars, gyms, young person oriented churches , things to do, etc. I’ll go against the other posters and say the suburbs (woodlands, spring, cypress, Katy, etc) can be extremely boring unless you have a family and are needing a bigger home.

Also do not advise her to live near work or further down the beltway towards Greenspount/Gunspoint. These areas are good for industry but terrible/dangerous to live in.

Last edited:
Also if you are coming to visit, you need to go to Gordy and Sons (between Heights and River Oaks).

Gordy and Sons is the absolute nicest gun, hunting and fly fishing store you will ever visit. It’s a hunting store/ museum.

They even have their own fly casting pond as well as an old bank vault full of $100-200k+ shotguns and Africa safari guns they will let you check out.

That being said they do have more attainable items as well. I bought an SBE 3 shotgun from them last year. Good guys there and worth a visit.

Last edited: