FNG In Texas from Utah

Hello everyone,

I just moved to Texas(DFW) from Utah. I'm completely lost here. I'm curious if any native/long time Texans would have a rundown for me on the big picture of hunting in Texas.
For example, I'd say, about Utah: The hirearchy goes, 1) It's all about Elk, you apply to all Elk hunts, buy OTC spike tags if you don't draw out, 2) you apply to the cooler mule deer hunts especially if you bow hunt, 3) you go for some small game and waterfowl to scratch the itch throughout the rest of the year, 4) You apply for a once-in-a-lifetime like Bison every year and hope you get to go before your second hip replacement.
Is there some similar type of hirearchy here? Or is it just all about paying thousands to hunt whitetail or exotics on private ranches?

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new UT/TX member.

Eddie

Venatic

FNG
The only sorta draw system in Texas are the public land hunts that is just a lottery draw to hunt a certain animal on a certain date usually a 2-4 day hunt in an area assigned to you upon arrival.
All other hunting is on private land either by leasing per gun or paying to hunt by day or for a certain animals by paying thousands.
Personally if I was young and moved to Texas I would buy a lifetime license from my home state if it allowed me to do so and continue to hunt there.
There is some public hunting available mainly for doves but is hit or miss and crowding can be an issue.

CJ AK

FNG
Welcome Frontier, Ouch rough to hear how tough Texas is for the general masses to hunt. I moved from Utah and thought it was getting bad, too much demand not enough supply. I'm now in Alaska and everyone here also talks about how much better it was 20 and 30 years ago. Good luck. I'd say out of state tags are inexpensive when your able to still do it DIY

OP
F
The only sorta draw system in Texas are the public land hunts that is just a lottery draw to hunt a certain animal on a certain date usually a 2-4 day hunt in an area assigned to you upon arrival.
All other hunting is on private land either by leasing per gun or paying to hunt by day or for a certain animals by paying thousands.
Personally if I was young and moved to Texas I would buy a lifetime license from my home state if it allowed me to do so and continue to hunt there.
There is some public hunting available mainly for doves but is hit or miss and crowding can be an issue.
Thanks for the info! Do you know of say, a network where you can connect with land owners? Do they advertise their leases somewhere? I'm sure if I keep Googling I'll eventually figure it out but I was going someone could maybe share some best practices or something(?) I may end up just going back home every year but man... that's going to be a lot of time and expense

OP
F
Welcome Frontier, Ouch rough to hear how tough Texas is for the general masses to hunt. I moved from Utah and thought it was getting bad, too much demand not enough supply. I'm now in Alaska and everyone here also talks about how much better it was 20 and 30 years ago. Good luck. I'd say out of state tags are inexpensive when your able to still do it DIY
Yeah.. I grew up in a very remote place and since about 2019, it has completely been overrun on the OTC hunts... man I miss the old days.