FnG Kentucky

New guy from KY. Been hunting hogs and whitetail for 26 years on the East side of the Mississippi. Heading out to Idaho for my 1st western hunt this fall. Excited to learn on this forum and just gain knowledge. Read the rules, thinking I followed em. Have a blessed day.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new KY member.

Eddie

Gen273

WKR
Welcome to the forum.

Two unwritten rules you may need to be aware of are: 1st, small calibers are king here; for example, the 6.5 Manbun is big enough for elephants. Secondly, don't ever say anything negative about a Tikka rifle because most here think it's the most outstanding rifle ever built...lol! And I am only sort of joking.

OP
smartin8788
Welcome to the forum.

Two unwritten rules you may need to be aware of are: 1st, small calibers are king here; for example, the 6.5 Manbun is big enough for elephants. Secondly, don't ever say anything negative about a Tikka rifle because most here think it's the most outstanding rifle ever built...lol! And I am only sort of joking.
Dually noted. Right now, I'm seriously considering taking my .257 weatherby as I'm going for mule deer. The .257 calls to me when I open the safe, has been my go to for a few years. I have basically zero knowledge of what a Tikka rifle is so maybe ignorance is bliss! Thanks for the welcome.

Gen273

WKR
Dually noted. Right now, I'm seriously considering taking my .257 Weatherby, as I'm going for mule deer. The .257 calls to me when I open the safe, has been my go to for a few years. I have basically zero knowledge of what a Tikka rifle is so maybe ignorance is bliss! Thanks for the welcome.

I wish you great success on your trip and with your .257 Weatherby. Do you hand load for the .257, or do you shoot factory loads?

OP
smartin8788
I'm shooting the factory ammo. I bought a bulk amount of ammo with the gun. My dad is an FFL and he has all the reloading equipment. I have been saving brass but I still have 2 or 3 factory boxes left. Dad also has a .257 that he reloads for it. I'm not very knowledgeable about reloading but it's something I want to learn from my father. He's convinced I need to take his 300 weatherby out there... the caliber thing is funny you mention it's been on my mind. Around here 270 and 30-.06 is king. I usually bow hunt with an old bowtech allegiance from 2008 at home. I'm open to suggestions. I have a plethora of rifles to choose from cause the old man is a gun nut. We went to Alaska when I was 13 to fish I'm pretty sure dad was the only guy on the river with a raging bull on his hip, sawed off 12 strapped to his shoulder and he prolly had more in his boots but that was 23 years ago hard to remember.

Gen273

WKR
Your Dad sounds like a cool guy! I am personally a .30-caliber guy. 308, 30-06, 300 WM, 300 WSM. Also, I use a 338 on occasion.

Your .257 Weatherby with a good bullet should be fine for Mule Deer. Especially if it's the rifle you shoot the best. In my opinion, bullet placement is more important than caliber even though I gravitate towards the bigger calibers myself.

Last edited:
OP
smartin8788
Your Dad sounds like a cool guy! I am personally a .30-caliber guy. 308, 30-06, 300 WM, 300 WSM. Also, I use a 338 on occasion.

Your .257 Weatherby with a good bullet should be fine for Mule Deer. Especially if it's the rifle you shoot the best. In my opinion, bullet placement is probably more important than caliber even though I gravitate towards the bigger calibers myself.
You guys would probably be fast friends. He has had or does have at least 1 of each of those. I think he sold the 338, I did not like that gun, alot of punishment. He may still have the 375 which I didn't see in the list.
I'm thinking after minimal research a .257, 110 grain eld-x or accubond was preferred. I do shoot the .257 well out to 400 yards with a rest. I haven't gotten out past that as it hasn't been required here. I would def hope to have deer inside that range but I hear it can be farther often out west. I think dad's pronghorn in wyoming was like 490ish. I know a guy in the group killed an elk at 700 some odd yards. I really probably won't take those shots. I'm planning to practice to 500 yards and stay inside that for my confidence level. I have never even tried a 500 yard shot so this is all based off what I hope to obtain. We have a 600 yard outdoor rifle range close to me. My farthest shot on my farm is 370 yards so I'll have to travel about 10 miles just to practice longer ranges.

Gen273

WKR
The shot range will depend a lot on exactly where you are hunting. However, if you are accurate out to 400 yards with your current setup, I think you will be fine.

As far as the bullets you mentioned, I am a big fan of the Accubond!