Folding Stocks - Worth It?

jreyna

FNG
I enjoy hunting backcountry. Mostly a lot of elevation climbing and fairly wide open. I usually run a .308 bolt action rifle with a 20" barrel, sporter stock and a Dead Air Nomad suppressor.

When hunting, I have the rifle mounted tightly to my backpack with a rifle carrier. With the suppressor, the setup sticks about 2" above my head, with the occasional snag on a low lying branch where I hunt. Not a big deal. But if I went with a folding stock setup, the rifle overall length would be 6-10" shorter.

All in all, for anyone who had a similar setup, then moved over to a folding stock setup, did you find the compactness worth it? Why or why not?

I'm not expecting anyone's response to be taken as gospel, but I'd like to get some real-world opinions from guys who have gone down a road I may be headed down in the future. Thanks for the time.

In an exo podcast a while back I heard the exo guys saying if they didn’t hunt in Alaska they wouldn’t have a need for a folding chassis. In a more recent podcast they talked about considering going back to a standard stock because some of the chassis systems are hard to secure on a pack super well. Maybe @Mark at EXO could have more insight.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Folding stocks are tacticool?? That's a new one.

I hunt thick, jungle like steep terrain and also use suppressors. The ability to fold and reduce overall length while climbing through crap is a huge advantage for me. It's a win when you offset the time it takes to put a can on versus unfolding stock if a shot presented itself.

SDHNTR

WKR
Folding stocks are tacticool?? That's a new one.

I hunt thick, jungle like steep terrain and also use suppressors. The ability to fold and reduce overall length while climbing through crap is a huge advantage for me. It's a win when you offset the time it takes to put a can on versus unfolding stock if a shot presented itself.
IMO, yep. So are suppressors, albeit useful.

I use a HNT 26 folder here in Alaska now. Even though I had been using a Fieldcraft with an 18" barrel, I would still get it hung up on brush at times. Now that I've gone to 100% suppressed, going to a folder was even more useful. I use a pack that has a stretchy side pocket and the butt end fits easily into it. Its obviously wider than a traditional stock, but atleast its much shorter.

IMG_8940.jpg

mthayr

WKR
I use a HNT 26 folder here in Alaska now. Even though I had been using a Fieldcraft with an 18" barrel, I would still get it hung up on brush at times. Now that I've gone to 100% suppressed, going to a folder was even more useful. I use a pack that has a stretchy side pocket and the butt end fits easily into it. Its obviously wider than a traditional stock, but atleast its much shorter.

View attachment 706266
Can't wait to see when that "Waterproof SG ULTRA high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) fabric" with those nice "stretchy side pockets", makes its way to the production line of Stone Glacier's bags... 🤐

Can't wait to see when that "Waterproof SG ULTRA high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) fabric" with those nice "stretchy side pockets", makes its way to the production line of Stone Glacier's bags... 🤐
Oh that’s just a Terminus lid on a special pack from another company haha