Follow up shots with a .223 on Elk and Mule deer

ElPollo

WKR
Ok let me rephrase,
How many took one shot to go down vs multiple shots?
Not trying to be a Dyck (feel free to insert Letterkenny memes here), but there’s a whole giant thread on this forum where people post hundreds of cases of how many shots were required from a 223 to kill elk, moose, deer, and bear. Most of those posts include estimates of how far the animal went after it was shot and many include pictures of the wound channel. The information you seek is here for the reading and it’s not hard to find. I cannot recall an example from that thread where an animal was hit well in the vitals that “required” a second shot based on the wound cavities and in most cases animals traveled less than 30 yards after the shot. If you use the right bullet and put them generally in the front half at speeds where the bullet will fragment (>1800 fps for a TMK or eldm), the cute little cartridge kills all out of proportion to what you might think.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I can only think of one deer I’ve shot twice with a .223. I was using Golddots before going to 77 TMKs. The one I shot twice wasn’t needed, but he was still kicking so I gave him one more. The others have gone down before I could get back on them.

Sadler

WKR
I’ve killed one bull with my 223. Shot him three times. First one was enough but I shoot until they’re down.

Edit: Distance was 400 yards

Last edited:

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
My number with of kills isn’t nearly as high as some with .223, but includes 4 mule deer and 1 elk (cow). The only one that received a follow-up shot was a mule deer doe shot with a 62 grain fusion. It didn’t need it, but was still standing and thus received.