Food protection?

dog812

WKR
I am doing my first fly in hunt. I am curious what guys do for bear / rodent protection for their food stores?
I have been looking at the URSACK's but it doesnt makes sense to me that one is good for rodents, but not bears, and the othere vice versa.. I think its most likely to be attacked by rodents and birds if its properly up a tree??

Craig4791

WKR
Where are you flying in? Black bears or Grizzlies?

I personally don't do anything to protect my food against black bears. Just never had an issue with them.

rayporter

WKR
if you are doing a fly in you better ask if there is any trees over 3 feet high within 20 miles.

but you are correct in that the varmints are your primary problem.

I usually use my sleeping bag stuff sack for my bag. Don't use anything thicker than paracord or else you will have rodent problems. Was up in the boundary waters and used a climbing rope and the rodents climbed down it and chewed through the pack.

OP
D

dog812

WKR
we are flying in way up north. yukon border. We will most likely wind up above alpine. But starting at a lake.
There will deff be both bears..

CA Karen

Lil-Rokslider
When I have to pack a can in I use the Bear Vault brand.... has a large opening to stuff everything in, you can also repack any Mountain House meals into zip-locks to make the packing easier...but I have only had a black bear play hockey with it not a griz and it was bearly scratched.