Food storage in the CO high country

Good morning Roksliders,

Of course being above tree line, how do you guys manage your food storage while in the CO high country? Is it not a big concern when in high elevation? Only hang it when dropping back to tree line?

Appreciate any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im only doing my second high country hunt this year, so there will be better advice on what to do/use but figured i should mention to you and any others reading, some wildernesses require a bear canister. sounds like its a hefty fine if you get pinched. i read $5k but that sounds a bit steep.

OP
Zekeworldwide
Forget the bear canister. That is a waste of space and weight.

Above treeline, marmots are a bigger concern than bears. I would camp at treeline where you have shade and trees for cover/windbreak.

Thanks. You just hang your food?

Poser

WKR
I camp above treeline extensively in the summer. Not particularly worried about bears, though I have seen them high before. I sleep with my food and do not leave it unattended. Rodents including marmots can and will raid your food. Sometimes, I have been able to rig a hang with a stick hanging off of a rock outcropping and then the food hanging from the stick, but you need the right feature to do this and also need a deed tree that’s not willow which isn’t always available.

Felix40

WKR
I just keep my food in the tent with me regardless of where I’m camped. I think I’ve only hung food one time.

hobbes

WKR
I've had mice raid food on the floor of my tent. I hang food in MT because of the grizzly potential. I did not in Colorado, but it was always possible to attract a bear.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I don't camp in the open for all the bucks to see and I don't camp close to where I'm hunting. I set up in the trees and hang food (we have the curious early am grizzly in camp most times) and tie the horses up. The weather will beat you up and you will spook game setting up in the open.

Marble

WKR
Forget the bear canister. That is a waste of space and weight.

Above treeline, marmots are a bigger concern than bears. I would camp at treeline where you have shade and trees for cover/windbreak.
My method too. At night I get dinner, breakfast, lunch and snacks or for the next day. Hang it and forget it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
Zekeworldwide
If you are camping so high above treeline that there are no trees whatsoever, move your camp lower into the scrub so you aren't being blown off the map or smoked by lightning. If I needed to glass from that high, I hiked there early.

Great points….

tdoublev

FNG
Use an Ursack or something similar and tie it around a rock or small bush or something.
Are the Ursacks good in your experience? Looking at my options for bear containers and saw those pop up. I like that it is more packable, but the design seems a little fallible. Also sucks that isn't approved in all areas.