Foot Care

Wapiti23

FNG
Was wondering what items to pack for that “Just in case” situation for blisters and hot spots. I’ve never really had any issues but don’t want to be without when/if I do need something. Thoughts.

Electrical tape has been enough to get me by and it's all I carry. The boots are well proven.

I've used Band-Aid's and moleskin and Leukotape before. If you put Leukotape on a blister you're not expecting the blister to heal, you're just temporarily protecting it. Because that skin is coming off with the Luekotape.

Moleskin and I also take a role of athletic tape. Anyone playing sports knows you can not only protect from blisters but almost walk on a broken foot if taped right. Doubles over for securing a splint or fixing gear.

OP
Wapiti23

Wapiti23

FNG
Keep it coming guys. I was planning on mole skin and duct tape. Didn’t know about the other’s.

crich

WKR
Running a thin liner sock in addition to a regular hiking sock helped me a ton. Provides a little separation layer if something does start to rub. I typically have sweaty feet but never an issue layering up with quality socks.

X2 on Leukotape at the first sign of a hotspot

Quackshack

Lil-Rokslider
Leukotape before you start on areas you know might be an issue. Hiked 85 mile in 3 days last year, glad I packed the whole roll. 3 of us used about half a roll. Planning the hike again this year we will all pre-tape. I was impressed how well it sticks, even with sweaty feet.

xcutter

WKR
Leukotape and bandaids. I pretape before I leave the truck. If I get a blister I put a bandaid over the blister followed by leukotape on top. This will give the blister a little padding and not rip the skin off when removing the leukotape.

Catahoula

WKR
Moleskin indeed and all the other items mentioned. Also, if you are a big time sweating individual, take breaks to air out the wheels. Keep your feet dry, let your socks air out or carry a fresh pair of socks in your pack.

nrh6.7

WKR
FYI;
You would put the Leukotape on a hotspot "before" it turns into a blister. Or tape an area known to be blister prone prior to hitting the trail for the day.

This. You should know ahead of time where you will get hot spots from hiking. Put it on before you leave the trailhead and you should be good. Wouldn't hurt to put it on even if you aren't prone to blisters.

NDGuy

WKR
I will echo other's thoughts. I used Leukotape and moleskin last year. The moleskin helped keep my blistered heel from getting worse after it got rubbed raw 3 miles from the road.

Backyard

WKR
If your toes tend to blister, I suggest trying the Injinji toe sock liners. I haven't had a blister since I started using em for hunting and hiking. My wife had issues until she tried em also. They keep your toes from rubbing on each other which usually starts the blister to form.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
My pediatrist suggested coating the entire bottom of my foot with tincture of benzion. It’s typically used to help stuff stick to your skin, but he said will form a protective layer over the skin that should last for several days.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been using Leukotape for 10-15 years now- trail running, backpacking and hunting. I haven’t found anything better.

I’ve also tried numerous ways of storing it in my first aid kit and I’ve settled on using the backing of postage stamps (or similar)- I use both sides and cut them to fit a full length (front and back) if I need a really long piece I have it, something smaller- I just tear off what I need.

Another tip- air your feet out on longer breaks/meals, especially if they’re wet. Do the same when back to camp for the night- use a clean and dry pair for sleep.

I know a lot of folks that don’t take enough time taking care of their feet and eventually it bites them.

A few of my hiking buddies use "Hike Goo" on their feet and on the inside of their socks. Applied before hitting the trail for the day.
I gave it a shot and loved it. My hunting partners all use it now.

I take my boots and socks off at least once during the day. Dry them out and if possible, do a cold soak in a creek.
I also do this when we're back in camp for the night. It sucks for about 5 seconds but its 110% worth it.