Tent for Truck Camping?

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a tent to use for a trip this fall. I’ll be basically truck camping but want something that’s sets up and breaks down easy to be mobile. Looking for just me but tall enough I do t have to crawl into it on my hands and knees. I’m tall, 6’ 4”, don’t have to be able to stand up straight but not be bent over. I’m not opposed to canvas, my dad had a 60s vintage canvas Coleman tent that lasted longer than he did. I figure 4 person should be spacious enough.

Thoughts?

stump06

WKR
Kodiak canvas flex bow. I was looking for something similar to what you mentioned. After doing a lot of research, I pulled the trigger on the 10x10 and love it. Likely the last tent I'll ever buy. Theres a lot of videos on YouTube about them

Agree with above. I got the 10x10. With 2 cots it works but i wish I had gotten the 10x12 for 2 people with cots.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kodiak is very nice.

I have always used a cheap Coleman from Walmart, but hate bending over to get in, too.

I want to try a teepee style with one pole.

Trial153

WKR
I would go with Teepee from SO or Sawtooth if you’re willing to go floorless.

Another option I set up for the kids when truck camp and I want them in their own tent is Nemo Wagon Top. If weight isn’t an issue…why not you can stand up and run a full size cot as well. It’s easy to set up even for one person.

ShakeDown

WKR
I have a Seek Outside Redcliff as well as the Flexbow and 0% chance I’m sleeping in the Redcliff if I can have the comfort of the canvas tent. Waking up on a full twin bed, with a 6” memory foam mattress, and carpet underfoot… stop it.

Redcliff + stove is the cats meow for 2-3 guys on a trip away from the truck.

TheHammer

WKR
I have a white duck canvas bell 13’. Sets up pretty fast. 4 guys n gear might be tight in one this size, so I’d recommend a larger one. Carrying bag is nice. Full floor, stove jack&pad.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
My Kodiak Flex Bow is the best piece of outdoor gear I've purchased in many years. Can't say enough good things about it.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

OP
V

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
The Kodiak looks nice. Can it be used in winter conditions with a stove jack installed? Not necessarily a must have option as I don’t camp much in winter but aside from hunting it will also be a spring time turkey hunting and trout fishing set up. Looks like it fits the bill pretty solid.

I’m going to have to toss another vote to the Kodiak flex box. It’s a really great pick for camping year round with enough room for what you need. The 10x14 has a lot of space

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used a cabelas alaknak for 10 years now. Once that dies I’m getting a Kodiak so +1 for the Kodiak.

I would definitely get a floor of your using it in the spring and summer. Even in the fall a floor is nice if you’re dealing with wet or mud.

ShakeDown

WKR
The Kodiak looks nice. Can it be used in winter conditions with a stove jack installed? Not necessarily a must have option as I don’t camp much in winter but aside from hunting it will also be a spring time turkey hunting and trout fishing set up. Looks like it fits the bill pretty solid.
Yes, you just need the stomach to cut a hole into your $600 tent 😂

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Wood stoves are nice, but if you're not using it in winter cold/wet conditions and don't need to dry out gear, not sure that's necessary. I use a big buddy propane heater in mine attached to a 20 lb tank and it works great. Just make sure to vent the tent and keep a CO detector in it just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Ben Nicholson

Lil-Rokslider
Another fan of the Kodiak. The only negative I'd say about it is that it does take up a bit of real estate in the truck. Other than that it's about perfect for what I do.

jchamwv

FNG
Flex Bow 10x10 here. Spike tent in my pack. Being able to stand up in the mornings plus room for gear is a big bonus. Super simple setup/takedown, so if your moving camp a few times to get into the animals it doesn't take long to break camp assuming you're somewhat organized.