Footwear for Sheep

Weavergm

FNG
Ladies and gentlemen,

I was fortunate enough to draw DS140 and have a general footwear question.

Do you think I should hunt with a full shank mountaineering boot? Or would a 3/4 shank, less stiff boot do better?

I live outside of the Chugach but have not been into sheep country that time of year. Just curious of the input. Thanks in advance.

AKaDougie

FNG
Do you have any feet issues? Do you normally run a less stiff boot? Have you been into the area where your tag is located to better judge actual terrain?

In my experience (no feet issues) I have switched from a less stiff boot to a stiffer boot while in the mountains. I have found a stiffer boot just aids in less fatigue, however, it is something to test out for yourself.
I currently am running/testing out Kenetrek mountain extreme and Salewa ravens. I have been liking the Kenetrek boots a lot more over time/break in.

OP
W

Weavergm

FNG
AKaDougie,

I do have a previous injury but have that sorted out. I'm running the La Sportiva Trango for the summer season and the La Sportiva Nepal Cubes for the winter. I have been into those areas where I'll be hunting, just not in October. I'll keep running the Trangos and make a game time decision.

Mudd Foot

WKR
AKaDougie,

I do have a previous injury but have that sorted out. I'm running the La Sportiva Trango for the summer season and the La Sportiva Nepal Cubes for the winter. I have been into those areas where I'll be hunting, just not in October. I'll keep running the Trangos and make a game time decision.

Which model of Trango? Cube, Tech, Tower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

Weavergm

FNG
Trango Tech for the summer backpacking season. And then the Nepal Cubes for hunting in October? I'm leaning towards the Nepal's for October sheep I think.

Mudd Foot

WKR
How firm are the Techs? Was looking at the Towers but can’t find much on them.

OP
W

Weavergm

FNG
How firm are the Techs? Was looking at the Towers but can’t find much on them.

They are stiffer than a Salomon Quest, but not as stiff as any "mountaineering" boot. The towers are as stiff as the Nepals without being 8". The Techs are not as stiff as that. Not sure what brands you're familiar with but I would say it's as stiff as a Salewa Crow.