Ford Raptor Daily Drivers

Just curious to hear from any Ford Raptor owners that also daily drive them, how's the longterm reliability and how do you like daily driving it? Any major issues or dislikes? How do you like it for hunting/camping trips?

I am looking to upgrade from my built out ZR2 that has proven to have major issues literally every winter I've owned it. Love that little BabyMax diesel, but the emissions system has me at my wits end after 6 years of problems.

Appreciate any input!

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
whole bunch of first gen raptors with 300k+, not sure on the current gen though

i too owned a baby max canyon, deleted it almost instantly, but that didnt save the 2 transmissions and 3 torque converters... so i know your pain

I have a 2017 Raptor, drive it everyday and have loved it, despite some issues. First off, it looks awesome, rides smooth, has tons of room and will go anywhere. Great for camping trips... a lot of times, if I'm solo, I just sleep in the back seat and there is tons of room. For hunting, its been great, but I find myself always being careful not to get too much dirt or blood on the nice interior. Again, it goes anywhere, dirt, sand, rocks, hills, water... obviously within reason.

My version has had issues with the cam phaser rattle, I've had to replace them twice, but Ford has helped with the cost. I've also had issues with rough shifting and have had the transmission timing corrected twice. Gas mileage has been in the 15.5-16.5 mpg range.

Overall I've been happy, but as I think about my needs going forward, I'm looking at the Platinum Hybrid F150. Better gas mileage and better towing capacity. I tow a heavy boat regularly and the towing capacity of the Raptor is impacted by the suspension, so I'm thinking about switching to the Platinum version in 2025.

yfarm

WKR
Own a 2011,bought new, just bought the third set of tires, ko2s, got 70k or so miles per set. Second battery. Is on its third set of front brakes and rotors,second on the rear. Had a transfer case actuator motor, air conditioning line and drivers rear door window regulator and motor, window switch on drivers door are only repairs at 144k miles. Had 100k maintenance done at 110k, transmission fluid change, power steering and brake flush, rear end and plugs as well as shock rebuild.I do the oil changes, syn since birth. No warranty claims, had a ecm reflash as a recall. Is my long distance highway cruiser, easy 1000-1200 mile interstate days at 13mpg. Been on ranch and blm roads but never abused. Keep thinking about selling for a new one but this keeps motoring along. Service manager at my small town dealer told me its his favorite truck of all time, said keep it, fix it as needed and keep driving. Tollroad around Austin has a speed limit of 85, I10 west of Junction 80, this truck likes to cruise at 85-90, german cars have nothing on it. Bought a F250 with the 7.3 gas, ten spd and 4.30 gears with 35” tires, acceleration, fuel economy is about the same but look out for high speed handling differences. Bought new in 2020, no repairs or warranty claims. Bought to tow in the event of a hurricane.

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1381.jpeg
    IMG_1381.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I’ve got a 2018 Raptor. I drive a lot of lease roads in south Texas that the border patrol drive and they use raptors. My precious truck was a great F-150 platinum and the lease roads ate it up. My Raptor will go 60mph down the roads and not blink. Any time I travel across country it is the he preferred comfort vehicle even at 15mpg. I’ve got almost 140k miles on it in five years and I don’t look to get rid of it anytime soon. I would advise an extended warranty though as nothing is cheap to replace on it. I’m expecting at least 200-250k miles on it before I upgrade to a new one. But stock 450hp in a V6 is nice. Might bump it up to 600 with upgrades now that my warranty is up. The new ones are REALLY pricey though. But that have a lot more tech in them and even better suspension which baffles me that they could make it better than it is. So, you could say I like mine too I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSAMP

WKR
Updates on this for anyone? Considering a raptor or a tremor pkg on my new Ford pickup.

Ten Bears

WKR
I have owned 3 Raptors as a daily driver. Average around 40-45 miles a year on them. It’s the perfect truck for me.

Rides like a Cadillac on the highway, decent MPG, and as a hunting vehicle it’s been awesome. Back seat is very wide/long so when I drive west I can lay down to sleep (diagonally) or when I hike back late and don’t feel like throwing up a shelter. Loves shitty roads, two tracks, basically whatever I have thrown at her.

TSAMP

WKR
I have owned 3 Raptors as a daily driver. Average around 40-45 miles a year on them. It’s the perfect truck for me.

Rides like a Cadillac on the highway, decent MPG, and as a hunting vehicle it’s been awesome. Back seat is very wide/long so when I drive west I can lay down to sleep (diagonally) or when I hike back late and don’t feel like throwing up a shelter. Loves shitty roads, two tracks, basically whatever I have thrown at her.
I always assumed the raptor is only wider due to fender flares, are you saying the cab size is larger?

All your raptors been the 3.5 engine ?

BFM

FNG
Test drove an R yesterday. It's ridiculously sweet. Can't justify it though.

Ten Bears

WKR
I always assumed the raptor is only wider due to fender flares, are you saying the cab size is larger?

All your raptors been the 3.5 engine ?

all engines the 3.5, never had a single issues with any of them. plenty of power. towed my boat literally hundreds of times without issue. Did Michigan to Wyoming with a cab of dudes, bed full of gear, trailer with gear and SXS without issue.

even the tires (KO2 BF goodrichs) have been outstanding. Quiet ride, got 70K out of my last set.

the cab size is wide, it’s an added bonus.

my current one up top. the previous one I put a wrap on it since I destroyed the paint on my first one on two tracks bird hunting/two tracks.

CFE0D88B-8D9E-43AF-A744-F0EB13774E4E.jpegD362E898-DB2A-4E87-9D13-EC1A0ACA5467.jpegC1E83FAE-DFE5-4ACF-B459-4FAEB4D8D596.jpeg

TSAMP

WKR
Interesting you say that as my current f150 has plenty of "Texas pinstripes" what's a wrap run?

Ten Bears

WKR
Interesting you say that as my current f150 has plenty of "Texas pinstripes" what's a wrap run?

paid 4K for the wrap. couple things I learned. don’t wrap a white truck, when you sign up the wrap the white really stands out. don’t know if I’d do it again, maybe just a clear wrap.

I hunted out of the silver one in NM Unit 50 last year, some of the worst roads I have seen. Lotsa of two tracks, striped the truck from front to back. With the silver I was able to wheel most of them out pretty easily.

schmalzy

WKR
paid 4K for the wrap. couple things I learned. don’t wrap a white truck, when you sign up the wrap the white really stands out. don’t know if I’d do it again, maybe just a clear wrap.

I hunted out of the silver one in NM Unit 50 last year, some of the worst roads I have seen. Lotsa of two tracks, striped the truck from front to back. With the silver I was able to wheel most of them out pretty easily.

Silver is the way to go. Have a black Silverado that unfortunately has some sick pinstripes now.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
My old boss and good friend has had raptors since they came out, upgrades every other year. He own a John Deere dealership and sells/ services basic things himself and actually used the raptors semi as designed, running gravel and trail roads at 100 to get to equipment in the field. Everyone of the ecoboost trucks needed cam phasers at about 80k and would sound like it had a baseball card in tire spokes when you fire them up. His wife had matching expedition with the 3.5 and they were the same on cam phasers and trade in schedule. All were under warranty and the next guys problem so he didn't worry too much about it.

They just got in a tissy with the local ford dealer who hes bought everything from over price gouging and now has a 1500 zr2 and suburban.

I just traded in my 2018 Raptor for a 2022 gen 3 Raptor. It seems to have even more room in it if that is possible. And I don’t think the cam phaser is an issue on the gen 3s. Can’t wait to get more goodies added to it. Last one turned 136k miles and I hated to let it go. Hope this one goes for 200k.

1c76756a7a072ce3624b8c8277a2d12d.jpg

It NVDIA keeps going up my next one might be the Raptor R. Soooooo awesome! So yeah, I guess I’m a fan but it is also the best truck for my job. And I put it through the tests.

LonePeak

FNG
I got a 2022 with 20k miles and haven’t had any issues. We will see how she does after a few years.

Huckelfin

FNG
My old boss and good friend has had raptors since they came out, upgrades every other year. He own a John Deere dealership and sells/ services basic things himself and actually used the raptors semi as designed, running gravel and trail roads at 100 to get to equipment in the field. Everyone of the ecoboost trucks needed cam phasers at about 80k and would sound like it had a baseball card in tire spokes when you fire them up. His wife had matching expedition with the 3.5 and they were the same on cam phasers and trade in schedule. All were under warranty and the next guys problem so he didn't worry too much about it.

They just got in a tissy with the local ford dealer who hes bought everything from over price gouging and now has a 1500 zr2 and suburban.
This seems to be the play, either trade in or get it fixed under warranty. I have a 5.0 myself, but it seems like you always hear that ford has fixed the cam phaser issue, but the problem persists. 3.5 eco is so good, only thing holding me back is the cam phasers.