FORLOH pack launched today!

pirogue

WKR
@ForlohFamily did you ever get the reviews and videos completed? The video on the website only shows someone inside and not outdoors packing an animal.

I was at Houston Safari Club show earlier this afternoon and was hoping you'd have the pack in the booth to try out but unfortunately I was there before the pack arrived with Andy. At the booth, the rep mentioned using it on a Colorado hunt but unfortunately the hunt wasn't successful so she didn't get experience with it loaded in a pack out.
Uggggh, this thread is over a year old, but this post makes it sound like there is only 1 pack in existence, and it can’t be at a show when the doors open. 😮

Ucsdryder

WKR
@Ucsdryder send yours to these guys
I believe there’s a second generation pack. I gave a ton of feedback on the first one and was told they had another one with the mods I suggested for me to actually review, but then they went quiet.

It’s too bad too. I packed out 10 animals this year. I could have really put it to the test.

Last edited:
OP
ForlohFamily

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@ForlohFamily did you ever get the reviews and videos completed? The video on the website only shows someone inside and not outdoors packing an animal.

I was at Houston Safari Club show earlier this afternoon and was hoping you'd have the pack in the booth to try out but unfortunately I was there before the pack arrived with Andy. At the booth, the rep mentioned using it on a Colorado hunt but unfortunately the hunt wasn't successful so she didn't get experience with it loaded in a pack out.

On the positive side, I really like the true Made-in-America and materials aspect as well as the pack using the same material as the 3L jacket I've used the past few years. Also, I noticed you now offer a 26" frame from the 22" which may relieve some of the concerns by many commentators here.

I have a lot of your clothing which has been excellent in rain/cold/snow conditions (and thorns/cactus in WTX) but for such a critical piece of gear like a pack I am really hesitant without seeing more field experience.

At the price and critical nature of the pack, I really want to be sure the concerns on the frame are answered. As others have stated, there are other Made in America (or at least very close) options with proven packs but I would like to consider Forloh as well.
Hi! Thanks for stopping in to see us at HSCF! and thank you for supporting made in America gear. We do have a few videos on our YouTube channel:

OP
ForlohFamily

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

On the positive side, I really like the true Made-in-America and materials aspect as well as the pack using the same material as the 3L jacket I've used the past few years. Also, I noticed you now offer a 26" frame from the 22" which may relieve some of the concerns by many commentators here.

I have a lot of your clothing which has been excellent in rain/cold/snow conditions (and thorns/cactus in WTX) but for such a critical piece of gear like a pack I am really hesitant without seeing more field experience.

At the price and critical nature of the pack, I really want to be sure the concerns on the frame are answered. As others have stated, there are other Made in America (or at least very close) options with proven packs but I would like to consider Forloh as well.
Also this review:

92xj

WKR
Also this review:
Unfortunately I can’t even get far into this review and believe it’s worth watching. Again, as said hundreds of times, the frame does not fit this guy right for the load lifters to actually do any load lifting. There is zero positive angle to actually make the load lifter work. If this guy knew more about packing heavy he would have sent his frame back and tried the 26” option instead of 22”. But coming from what he was used to wearing, this pack is an upgrade for him. Give this pack to someone who has ran exo, SG or Kifaru the past 10 years and let them put out a review.

pirogue

WKR
Unfortunately I can’t even get far into this review and believe it’s worth watching. Again, as said hundreds of times, the frame does not fit this guy right for the load lifters to actually do any load lifting. There is zero positive angle to actually make the load lifter work. If this guy knew more about packing heavy he would have sent his frame back and tried the 26” option instead of 22”. But coming from what he was used to wearing, this pack is an upgrade for him. Give this pack to someone who has ran exo, SG or Kifaru the past 10 years and let them put out a review.
Maybe that’s why they they don’t have it at a show(as referenced above), for people to see.

92xj

WKR
Maybe that’s why they they don’t have it at a show(as referenced above), for people to see.
This comment was first presented to them years ago and brought up a ton since then. Threads have been locked and people have been butt hurt because of this comment, yet nothing has changed. We shall see what the future holds. But, they will ever play in the big boy world against exo, kifaru and stone glacier until at least this one tiny little feature changes.

22" is an instant NO. I do see a 26" option on the site? At that price you need 3-4 belt sizes! The 2 belt covering everything doesn't work for bigger guys.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
That was a tough review to watch. I don’t think that reviewer represented the type of hunting most roksliders do. I’m curious to see how the 26” frame would perform, the 22” offered zero load lifting capabilities in the review posted. Get that thing in the hands of someone that will put it to use with animals, not in their yard with a pork shoulder. 🤦🏻‍♂️

sndmn11

WKR
That was a tough review to watch. I don’t think that reviewer represented the type of hunting most roksliders do. I’m curious to see how the 26” frame would perform, the 22” offered zero load lifting capabilities in the review posted. Get that thing in the hands of someone that will put it to use with animals, not in their yard with a pork shoulder. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Don't you have a 26" frame version?

I've just watched the video while having breakfast, hoping it would include some great information. Unfortunately, these comments sum up fairly well how this video review is.

You can't hate no the bloke for trying and he's done his best to provide an honest, objective review, but he misses the mark, and it appears as though it's largely to do with the fact that he isn't the type of hunter this pack is targeting.

Putting frozen pork shoulders in your pack as a substitute for hiking out a huge amount of meat is a bad look. On one hand, you could say "well meat is meat", but on the other hand, it says "I couldn't test the pack the way it was designed to be used so I came up with this trivial substitute for the sake of getting the 'review' done." It's similar to a lot of knife reviews I see from North America where they are completing their review outside a hunting season, so beside the usual bushcraft skills they film, they also film themselves cutting up things like chicken breast in their kitchen.

Anyone worth their salt knows that it's not just about the weight; it's also about carrying that weight up and down uneven ground, for what could be an extended walk.

As has also been mentioned, the way the load lifters are working on this frame with this person is not good. You can see the shoulder straps scrunching up behind where the load lifters are as he's tightened them down far too much to try and get anything meaningful or useful out of them.

I'm sure this pack is more capable than the capabilities of the bloke doing this video review. Having said that, my extensive experience with hunting packs and heavy loads, combined with the history in this thread and the video review, have confirmed for me that this pack will not do what I need it to do, and the company doesn't quite have their finger on the same pulse as Kifaru and Exo (I know other companies exist but I only have extensive experience with these two companies).

I'm interested to see more improvements. I respect the message of FORLOH and believe they are trying to do great things in the industry. The pack market in this space however, is extremely competitive. So many of the products available are incredible, so when one comes out that misses the mark it sticks out like a sore thumb. The waterproof materials and other features of that nature are definitely cool, but no one in their right mind would sacrifice load hauling capability for things like that.