Found rifle

well done. curious what his side of the story was... either way, this is a great resolution.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
Great ending! And kudos to you for putting in the time and effort to do the right thing and find the owner to the rifle! Unfortunately i bet the percentage of people who would have just taken the rifle is way higher than those willing to try and find the owner..
Great job!! 👍

IdahoBeav

WKR
Well this is all ending good. I was starting to loose hope but the builder finally called me back and put me in contact with the owner so he will be getting the gun back when we can link up. For people wondering about the gun and value. I was guessing 5k. The builder said it was sold to the guy for almost double that. Scope is a Zeiss. It’s a total custom built carbon fiber 7mm-338 Kona. As far as the story we were leaving the town we stayed at in Montana, heading home and along the highway seen the gun sitting on the bipod in a pull off 40’ off the Hwy. We pulled in decided that if the wrong person found the gun that he would never see it again so we took it. I’ve definitely spent many hours contacting people, trying to find the owner, and we have finally chased him down. Thanks to everyone that came up with ideas to help find the owner.
Wow! what a save. Good work. Hopefully, the owner compensates you guys. You guys deserve it.

Well this is all ending good. I was starting to loose hope but the builder finally called me back and put me in contact with the owner so he will be getting the gun back when we can link up. For people wondering about the gun and value. I was guessing 5k. The builder said it was sold to the guy for almost double that. Scope is a Zeiss. It’s a total custom built carbon fiber 7mm-338 Kona. As far as the story we were leaving the town we stayed at in Montana, heading home and along the highway seen the gun sitting on the bipod in a pull off 40’ off the Hwy. We pulled in decided that if the wrong person found the gun that he would never see it again so we took it. I’ve definitely spent many hours contacting people, trying to find the owner, and we have finally chased him down. Thanks to everyone that came up with ideas to help find the owner.
Good on you to put in the effort to track down the owner. Unfortunately, a lot of people these days would have just kept that rifle.... MUCH RESPECT

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Good on you, mate. Always refreshing to see people do the right thing. Happy you found him.

WKR
Well done! I know you didn't do it for a reward, but you better get a little somethin' for the effort! 1520086932826.jpeg

OP
Rdoehne

Rdoehne

FNG
well done. curious what his side of the story was... either way, this is a great resolution.
He said that he hunted there one evening and got back the the truck at dark. He said rifle case stayed in his truck until the next time he went to go hunting. When he got there opened the case and gun was not there. Said he was sick because he then remembered that he set it on the bipod and didn’t remember loading it up.

he must be thrilled, you made his entire year by tracking him down. i appreciate that people like you are out there in the world, its definitely rare.

OP
Rdoehne

Rdoehne

FNG
Well done! I know you didn't do it for a reward, but you better get a little somethin' for the effort! View attachment 634673
Well definitely wasn’t in it for that. But….. I live 18 hours from the place we went hunting at. 2 biddies and I knew nothing about where to go so we basically picked a spot that was totally different then what we had ever hunted and headed there to try something new. This guy is a local and said to come over again next year and he will bring us on private ground and show us areas to hunt on public land that will be the best. Also wants us to come over on a pheasant hunt with him. Even offered up a place to stay when we come over. So he is definitely being cool about it and is very thankful

manitou1

WKR
Good on you... and good on him. You deserve it.
I know I would be doing something for you if you found my custom sitting along the road and put all the effort in to returning it to me.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Very nicely done. I, like all member here congratulate you on all the effort you put into finding the proper owner. Be proud of yourself, very proud.

CorbLand

WKR
Well definitely wasn’t in it for that. But….. I live 18 hours from the place we went hunting at. 2 biddies and I knew nothing about where to go so we basically picked a spot that was totally different then what we had ever hunted and headed there to try something new. This guy is a local and said to come over again next year and he will bring us on private ground and show us areas to hunt on public land that will be the best. Also wants us to come over on a pheasant hunt with him. Even offered up a place to stay when we come over. So he is definitely being cool about it and is very thankful
Worth more than any dollar amount he could give you.