Free content and advice for a newbie

amp713

WKR
Have no clue about recurves and just making it up as I go but shooting pretty decent. Want to put in some effort and try to become proficient by next fall for an antelope hunt.

Bought a 45# pse take down from camofire a year and half ago or so. My nocks on the FMJs I built are for sure too loose but the cedars are too tight.... I need to reserve one way or the other but debating on a new string instead since the loops on this are pretty beat up looking and probably cheap string anyway. I eyeballed 1/2" high nock point and marked it with a sharpie and havent even tied in something permanent. Shooting split 2 currently because the nock slides too much to shoot 3 under.

The cedar shafts are fun but I don't think they will be as consistent so I'm planning on shooting last falls compound arrows I modified for the recurve. Fmj dangerous games, heavier brass insert, 125 gr point, cut to 26.5" with 3-5" left helical feathers coming in at 640 gr total. Half decent instinctive and point on at around 38 and doing pretty decent.

Anyway.....

Looking for some input as well as some free YouTube style content I can watch that gives good legit info!!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anything from Tom Clum and RMSGear is a good start. A good string and for sure a good tied in nocking point will make a huge difference. You shooting with a glove or a tab? Big Jim always has some GT Trad blems for sale that make great arrows to practice and hunt with. 640 is a good elk arrow, but a log for shooting at antelope lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I follow RMS, Tom and Aron. Have even debated a 6 hour trek to Denver to get some real personal help.

Shooting with a glove now because I had 2 already ha

sneaky

"DADDY"
I follow RMS, Tom and Aron. Have even debated a 6 hour trek to Denver to get some real personal help.

That drive would be time well spent. A 450-500 gr arrow would give you a little flatter trajectory for speed goats and plenty of punch. I'm so used to shooting a tab now I could never go back to a glove I think.

oldgoat

WKR
You need to make the trip, there's no way that arrow is anywhere close to proper spine, doesn't mean it won't fly consistent but it won't fly true. Figure out how to make a day of it, schedule a lesson, you will be so far ahead of the game, if you could go on a mid weekday when shop isn't super busy it would be even better!

dmc

FNG
I can confirm that a trip to the RMSG shop is time very well spent - but not free with gas, hotel, etc. If I'm within 2 hours of Denver I always stop by. Other free recommendations:

https://www.thepusharchery.com/ - good content some of which you can chose to pay for - see Tom's videos there.
- their 2 hour free instructional video
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeTUApludU2ESmv3R14NamA - the rest of their content
https://www.youtube.com/user/ibprimitive - Clay Hayes has some good stuff and I've learned quite a bit from him.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMoebow1 - Tom has recommended Arnie Moe's youtube videos before he came out with his own with thePush...
tradgang.com - I've found these guys helpful as well.

GregB

WKR
Shooting split 2 currently because the nock slides too much to shoot 3 under.
I'm just getting into traditional archery as well so I feel your pain. If you want to shoot 3 under tie a 2nd nock point underneath, leave enough room so there is no pinch when you draw. You can also cut off the old serving and re-serve with a larger diameter for a tighter nock fit. Kifarucast has a good video on how to do it, it's not too difficult. In addition to what everyone else has mentioned Clay Hayes has some good videos.

jspradley

WKR

As someone who has wasted almost years dicking around with a stickbow teaching myself all sorts of bad habits before taking a clinic from Tom and buying Solid Archery Mechanics, I can confirm that drive to spend a day with Tom will absolutely be worth it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
When I lived back in TN I made the drive to get lessons from Rod Jenkins. I've never regretted a cent of that money I spent. Good coaching is worth the money and time it saves you in the long run. A better string on that bow will probably give you an entirely different experience with it too. Factory strings on those price point recurves are the Achilles heel. With a stickbow nothing beats practice, but practice the right way with the right mechanics, or all you'll do is overdevelop bad habits.

jspradley

WKR
With a stickbow nothing beats practice, but practice the right way with the right mechanics, or all you'll do is overdevelop bad habits.

This 10000000000x

Like Joel Turner says, every time you shoot a bad shot you are making yourself worse. And by "bad shot" I dont mean missing, shit happens but teaching yourself improper mechanics really does make you worse and causes real obstacles to improvement.

Beendare

WKR
I'm just getting into traditional archery as well so I feel your pain. If you want to shoot 3 under tie a 2nd nock point underneath, leave enough room so there is no pinch when you draw. You can also cut off the old serving and re-serve with a larger diameter for a tighter nock fit. Kifarucast has a good video on how to do it, it's not too difficult. In addition to what everyone else has mentioned Clay Hayes has some good videos.

This ^is good advice.

Without a nok above and below....you will get a little movement on the shot creating a lot of inconsistency.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Thanks for all the answers guys. I got a little more sucked in while messing with it for a few days and I'm trying to make a plan for a trip to RMS. I've tied in nock points and started 3 under and can shoot pretty decent from time to time even with the wrong arrow set ups.

I've been debating the online courses vs a trip in the winter but think the in person would be a way better trip as I could get new strings and go through a properly set up arrow and bow. I may make the trek next month depending on the snows in canyons.

oldgoat

WKR
When you get close to going, call ahead and get a lesson with Tom or Jerry scheduled if you can, but if you can't, Alex is there everyday except Monday and he gives a good lesson too. Tom and Jerry charge a nominal fee for an hour lesson, but you'll generally get a lot more than that and is worth the money in the long run!!! You'll enjoy it!