Free Industrial sewing machine?!

TaperPin

WKR
If you’re tired of trying to sew projects on a home machine, but don’t know where to start looking, there is a source of almost free vintage industrial machines - that would have been great to know about when I was younger. The old Singer 31-15 or 31-20 are basic simple stitchers, and while they don’t have a walking foot they can sew 138 weight thread - thick enough for heavy canvas and basic straps, but definitely not good for heavy leather.

I see a few of these go for under $50 every year - someone dies, or moves and can’t take it with them, or it’s left in a storage locker. If someone isn’t familiar with industrials they can’t figure it out and it’s not worth much to them. I used to pick them up if in the $20 range, but 4 of them is 4 more than I need. If one of these comes up for $200 they often don’t sell and the price goes down and down.

Think of an industrial sewing machine as 3 separate parts - sewing head, table, and motor. Most heads will work on most tables and motors are pretty universal. Any part can be upgraded as needed and you’ll probably want to get a modern servo motor right away and or a speed reducer to slow it down.

The catch is you’ll need to learn how to adjust/repair the machine and gather threads, needles and misc little parts. These are basic with few adjustments.

The 31-20 and 31-15 are essentially the same except the 31-20 is specifically for heavy thread. The pre WW2 31-15 often will only sew finer thread unless it’s converted to the 31-20 bobbin assembly. However when the 31-20 was discontinued the post WW2 31-15 must have had a few changes because it now could sew heavy thread.

Also keep in mind any given machine may be broken to the point it’s not worth fixing, so get another.

Everything learned on one of these transfers to other industrials. It’s perfect for teaching a beginning sewer and is always nice to have around if you upgrade to something with more capabilities.

Hope that helps someone out.

Attachments

• FDE5B17B-5362-496F-A957-BE248505DD5C.jpeg
    FDE5B17B-5362-496F-A957-BE248505DD5C.jpeg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 91

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re tired of trying to sew projects on a home machine, but don’t know where to start looking, there is a source of almost free vintage industrial machines - that would have been great to know about when I was younger. The old Singer 31-15 or 31-20 are basic simple stitchers, and while they don’t have a walking foot they can sew 138 weight thread - thick enough for heavy canvas and basic straps, but definitely not good for heavy leather.

I see a few of these go for under $50 every year - someone dies, or moves and can’t take it with them, or it’s left in a storage locker. If someone isn’t familiar with industrials they can’t figure it out and it’s not worth much to them. I used to pick them up if in the $20 range, but 4 of them is 4 more than I need. If one of these comes up for $200 they often don’t sell and the price goes down and down.

Think of an industrial sewing machine as 3 separate parts - sewing head, table, and motor. Most heads will work on most tables and motors are pretty universal. Any part can be upgraded as needed and you’ll probably want to get a modern servo motor right away and or a speed reducer to slow it down.

The catch is you’ll need to learn how to adjust/repair the machine and gather threads, needles and misc little parts. These are basic with few adjustments.

The 31-20 and 31-15 are essentially the same except the 31-20 is specifically for heavy thread. The pre WW2 31-15 often will only sew finer thread unless it’s converted to the 31-20 bobbin assembly. However when the 31-20 was discontinued the post WW2 31-15 must have had a few changes because it now could sew heavy thread.

Also keep in mind any given machine may be broken to the point it’s not worth fixing, so get another.

Everything learned on one of these transfers to other industrials. It’s perfect for teaching a beginning sewer and is always nice to have around if you upgrade to something with more capabilities.

Hope that helps someone out.

I've been on the hunt for one of these but I haven't had any luck. Where is the best place to find them??

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
Keep an eye out in the free sections of Craigslist, and do regular searches for sewing machines on marketplace and Craigslist. Friends have picked up some good industrial machines in random places around Wyoming - many machines get inherited and the kids have no desire to get them going. If you ever get to the west coast, you’ll find a number of them, that regularly go for $100 including table, motor, bobbin winder, thread stand.