Free standing vs. Trekking pole 1-P tents

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a 1-P tent for Early Season Archery here in Utah. I've got a few options in mind BUT I wanted to see what the rest of you have used and liked in the past. I've read through a lot of threads on here about 1-P tents but wanted to get some more specifics and a fresh view for what's on the market. Like most guys I'm trying to cut weight, so I've been leaning toward trekking pole designs. My biggest concern with trekking pole designs is what to do when I want to use my trekking poles on the mountain? Hoping to hear what some of you who have trekking pole supported shelters do in this instance. Tie to a tree? Cut out a limb for support? Extra poles? Looking for any and all options.

Beyond the trekking pole question I'm also looking for any suggestions on lightweight 1-P tent options. I'm good with floored, floorless, trekking pole support, or freestanding options. Probably not going to do the bivy thing. I'm 6'2", like vestibule space, and don't want the tent to be touching my face when I'm sleeping. Preferably I'd like to have all my gear under the tent or vestibule space but it's not a deal breaker. Ability to pitch in rough terrain or tight spaces like a deer bed is a definite plus.

Hoping there's some guys out there who are in the same boat or have experience and can help me out. If you suggest an option please specify why you like it. Thanks guys!

jgeary338

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a blackbonnet super tarp to go with my hammock but just used it last week as a floorless trekking pole shelter. I was down near fairview over the weekend and it was very nice. Also if you need to take the poles just use the ridgeline between trees!

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Ruta Locura for tarp poles. Carbon fiber and extremely light. I just picked up a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT that came with a stove jack and their CF poles, and for the eight I'll never leave them at home. Plus, if one breaks, I still have my trekking poles and a small camp saw.

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
Camofire had the Big Agnes Scout UL2 on today for $180ish, <2# using your trekking poles.

Couple thoughts about your request....
1. If you need a shelter at all, weather forecast indicates rain/thunder showers. If that is the case, you want a shelter big enough for you AND your gear.... 2person.
2. If weather forcast shows fair weather...
A tarp & bivy is plenty of insurance to cover the bases.
Even a hammock can pull double duty as a tarp shelter.... if it's designed to.
3. No need to concern yourself w/ using trek poles for shelter.... cut a couple limbs for shelter poles.

Me... I have an Oware bivy bag for fair weather, a tarp for light rain insurance, and a variety of tents to pick and choose from depending on forcast.

Something that I am toying with is designing a floorless shelter that utilizes two tarps that can be joined together to form a tipi... or modified two pole shelter. This would allow my buddy & I to combine tarps should we need more shelter but yet still allow the solo weight reduction of a tarp.
.... just thinking out loud here.
Hunt'nFish

It is really easy to just pull your poles from the tent and put them back again. And as said above you can use a stick or even get a CF pole.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I never use both poles unless im packing a heavy load, in which case I'm not using my poles for shelter. So my advice is to get a shelter that uses only one pole, then you have the 2nd to hunt with.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
Big Agnes fly creek 2 or 1. 2lbs with poles and most importantly it's dual walled. Condensation, bugs and dirt in a sleeping bag can ruin a hunt and all 3 keep me away from tipi style and trekking pole style. If you look at actual weights of trekking pole tents compared to the fly creek, you'd really saving no weight, and in many cases you are gaining weight.. The weight between the fly creek 1 and 2 is so minimal, I would get a 2 man. Having your gear spread out in the tent with you is very nice, expetially if you get pinned in during some random high country rain storms. My fly creek can fit in a spotting scope pocket.
Lastly, I like being able to leave camp with my trekking pole and still have my camp standing. Having to disassemble to leave or making sure that my gear is safe/dry while my tent is flat on the ground with no pole doesn't get me to thrilled.

If your a Utah guy, you deal with the same weather as I do with warm days and freezing nights. This leads to a lot of condensation issues, I.e a wet sleeping bag if you go single wall trekking pole.. There is a reason die hard backpacker/backcountry nuts voted the fly creek number 1 tent again.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a Stratospire 2p Tarptent for a couple of years and really like it. It is very light weight and has held up to some major downpours. It uses trekking poles so if I need them for the planned route I will just throw in a stick to replace it. Has worked great. Great versatility too. Can set it up with just the fly or just the mesh body and you even have the option of a more full sided inner for colder temps.

jmden

WKR
Tarptent Rainbow. https://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html With it's 40 x 88 inch floor you can fit two people or one person and ALL your gear. Have done it many times. Much better than a tarp in wet and/or buggy conditions and mine is less than two pounds (uses EMS DAC stakes, not the arrow shaft stakes: http://www.ems.com/dac-tent-stakes-6-pack/1308627.html ) AND that includes it's own aluminum pole. I much prefer to have a tent support itself and not have to use trekking poles as I may be base camping a day or two and be using my trekking poles and don't want to have to collapse the tent, while leaving it at camp--not much good comes from having to do that. Just depends on the kind of hunt you are one. The Rainbow can be freestanding too if you do use trekking poles.

OP
WesternHunter

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts. I have been leaning towards the Tarptent designs but like some of the others that have been introduced here. Those Ruta Locura poles definitely look like a great option for an ultralight pole! I've got the Big Agnes Fly Creek right now but just feel like I'm looking for something a bit more durable and with a bigger vestibule. Drove me a little crazy this last year climbing over my stuff to get in and out of the tent every time.

Keep the suggestions coming!

I never use both poles unless im packing a heavy load, in which case I'm not using my poles for shelter. So my advice is to get a shelter that uses only one pole, then you have the 2nd to hunt with.
x2 on this above. I'm going to be trying my first one pole tent this year, lunar solo. It's 24 ounces without the pole. I've been messing with it a bit this weekend and just seam sealed it. So far it looks like it's going to work very well for my needs. This tent also has a loop at it's peak so you can use an overhead branch instead of the pole. kinda nice if you will be pitching it where there are trees. I himmed and hauled about going floorless but in the end the water barrier floor and the bug protection won out.

I'm in the market for a 1-P tent for Early Season Archery here in Utah. I've got a few options in mind BUT I wanted to see what the rest of you have used and liked in the past. I've read through a lot of threads on here about 1-P tents but wanted to get some more specifics and a fresh view for what's on the market. Like most guys I'm trying to cut weight, so I've been leaning toward trekking pole designs. My biggest concern with trekking pole designs is what to do when I want to use my trekking poles on the mountain? Hoping to hear what some of you who have trekking pole supported shelters do in this instance. Tie to a tree? Cut out a limb for support? Extra poles? Looking for any and all options.

Beyond the trekking pole question I'm also looking for any suggestions on lightweight 1-P tent options. I'm good with floored, floorless, trekking pole support, or freestanding options. Probably not going to do the bivy thing. I'm 6'2", like vestibule space, and don't want the tent to be touching my face when I'm sleeping. Preferably I'd like to have all my gear under the tent or vestibule space but it's not a deal breaker. Ability to pitch in rough terrain or tight spaces like a deer bed is a definite plus.

Hoping there's some guys out there who are in the same boat or have experience and can help me out. If you suggest an option please specify why you like it. Thanks guys!

Tarptent offers bunjeed breakdown poles for use when you are not in your tent. The trekking poles are superior for harsh weather but one time I forget the UL back-up poles so I just put a couple of rocks on the tent when I left. Actually liked that better, made my campsite invisible. It takes literally a minute to pop back up. I too prefer the larger SS2 for solo camping...I especially like the height.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts. I have been leaning towards the Tarptent designs but like some of the others that have been introduced here. Those Ruta Locura poles definitely look like a great option for an ultralight pole! I've got the Big Agnes Fly Creek right now but just feel like I'm looking for something a bit more durable and with a bigger vestibule. Drove me a little crazy this last year climbing over my stuff to get in and out of the tent every time.

Keep the suggestions coming!

That is exactly the reason why I like the 2person tents w/ twin side door, plenty of vestibule room for gear.... worth the extra ounces IMO.
Hunt'nFish

jmden

WKR
There's a Tarptent Rainbow 2 that has 2 vestibules, 2 side entrances and is larger overall than the Rainbow but only 8 oz more weight. Might be a good option. Still don't need a trekking pole to set it up.

I always have both trekking poles with me as I'm always either, a) packing a heavy load, b) nearly always in nasty x-country and steep and rough country or potentially steep rough country where I always want the option of two poles and where two poles can make it much safer and cause me to use less energy and go further, c) always expectant of harvesting something every time I leave the tent that will cause me to be packing a heavy load of meat. So I don't want to leave my trekking pole or poles at the tent...ever. I want them with me. I bought them to help me, not the tent.

Now, if you are moving camp every day with it on your back, well that's a completely different story.

I don't like the idea of throwing a few rocks on a collapsed tent that was otherwise held up by trekking poles while you are gone hunting and using your poles. There's pluses and minuses to that, but my experience doing this (collapsing the tent when making a summit bid) during a number of years of alpine mountaineering using snow to hold the tent down 'cause we were concerned the tent could fly away in winds has led me to do this as little as possible when hunting. Think of thin, loose tent nylon whipping around in high winds against rocks--you'll potentially wear a hole in that tent fast unless those are nice round river rocks. The reason the tents were collapsed when alpine climbing was because you often couldn't depend on stakes in the snow to hold the tent and the sail it made in the winds while fully pitched (I lost one tent down a crevasse partially loaded with gear this way--that was '99...it'll probably be spit out the bottom of the glacier in another 100 years or so) never to be seen again. I takes a heckuva stake to really hold in snow--the kind you aren't willing to pack many thousands of vertical feet up a mountain, so you improvise (can use an ice axe or a crevasse rescue anchor at night but when you take off for the summit bid, for example, you need those with you) or collapse the tent and put snow on it. There's other things that can be done, but one point here is that snow is likely to be less damaging on a tent in this potential hi-wind situation (always have to think about a weather system rolling in) than rocks. Other issues with snow is if it melts on your tent during the day while you are heading for the top, things can get a little moist by the time you return. Tents are designed to keep the interior dry when they are fully set up and, depending on design, may not do that as well if collapsed with your down sleeping bag inside that you really want to keep dry. With high winds and rains (often come together in mtns.), a collapsed tent is likely to not quite be the 'snug as a bug' shelter as you envisioned when your return. Obviously, there's ways to improvise here as well, but generally when hunting, I'm much more likely to find, or can find, good staking soil compared to setting up shop on a glacier and so a well staked tent should survive a pretty good blow and stay dryer in the interior in the process. If that kind of blow starts, it's likely I'll be heading or already at camp anyway too, so... Just my thoughts. I'm sure others have some comments from experience as well and there's always another way to skin a cat.

There's a Tarptent Rainbow 2 that has 2 vestibules, 2 side entrances and is larger overall than the Rainbow but only 8 oz more weight. Might be a good option. Still don't need a trekking pole to set it up.

I always have both trekking poles with me as I'm always either, a) packing a heavy load, b) nearly always in nasty x-country and steep and rough country or potentially steep rough country where I always want the option of two poles and where two poles can make it much safer and cause me to use less energy and go further, c) always expectant of harvesting something every time I leave the tent that will cause me to be packing a heavy load of meat. So I don't want to leave my trekking pole or poles at the tent...ever. I want them with me. I bought them to help me, not the tent.

Now, if you are moving camp every day with it on your back, well that's a completely different story.

I don't like the idea of throwing a few rocks on a collapsed tent that was otherwise held up by trekking poles while you are gone hunting and using your poles. There's pluses and minuses to that, but my experience doing this (collapsing the tent when making a summit bid) during a number of years of alpine mountaineering using snow to hold the tent down 'cause we were concerned the tent could fly away in winds has led me to do this as little as possible when hunting. Think of thin, loose tent nylon whipping around in high winds against rocks--you'll potentially wear a hole in that tent fast unless those are nice round river rocks. The reason the tents were collapsed when alpine climbing was because you often couldn't depend on stakes in the snow to hold the tent and the sail it made in the winds while fully pitched (I lost one tent down a crevasse partially loaded with gear this way--that was '99...it'll probably be spit out the bottom of the glacier in another 100 years or so) never to be seen again. I takes a heckuva stake to really hold in snow--the kind you aren't willing to pack many thousands of vertical feet up a mountain, so you improvise (can use an ice axe or a crevasse rescue anchor at night but when you take off for the summit bid, for example, you need those with you) or collapse the tent and put snow on it. There's other things that can be done, but one point here is that snow is likely to be less damaging on a tent in this potential hi-wind situation (always have to think about a weather system rolling in) than rocks. Other issues with snow is if it melts on your tent during the day while you are heading for the top, things can get a little moist by the time you return. Tents are designed to keep the interior dry when they are fully set up and, depending on design, may not do that as well if collapsed with your down sleeping bag inside that you really want to keep dry. With high winds and rains (often come together in mtns.), a collapsed tent is likely to not quite be the 'snug as a bug' shelter as you envisioned when your return. Obviously, there's ways to improvise here as well, but generally when hunting, I'm much more likely to find, or can find, good staking soil compared to setting up shop on a glacier and so a well staked tent should survive a pretty good blow and stay dryer in the interior in the process. If that kind of blow starts, it's likely I'll be heading or already at camp anyway too, so... Just my thoughts. I'm sure others have some comments from experience as well and there's always another way to skin a cat.

Well we weren't stupid about it. The tent remained fully staked and by grabbing the top of the tent, I rolled it until is was taut with the floor, then placed rocks on each end of the roll. Didn't move at all.

JeremiahH

WKR
Based on what you said and what you are looking for. I can with confidence suggest a tarptent notch. I have one, I've used it enough not to get rid of it and it firs the description pretty well of what your looking for. However once my tent is pitched and I'm hunting I don't really think about needing my trekking poles until carrying loads out of the field. Great solo shelter. Great pitch dimensions for space saving. Good double vestibule and double entrance. I really dig mine. I ordered mine with the sil sewn higher up on the nest for colder draft and blowing silt protection. Price is great. I have a few shelters and this one will stay for awhile. Got rid of my contrail to stick with this one.

OP
WesternHunter

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Based on what you said and what you are looking for. I can with confidence suggest a tarptent notch. I have one, I've used it enough not to get rid of it and it firs the description pretty well of what your looking for. However once my tent is pitched and I'm hunting I don't really think about needing my trekking poles until carrying loads out of the field. Great solo shelter. Great pitch dimensions for space saving. Good double vestibule and double entrance. I really dig mine. I ordered mine with the sil sewn higher up on the nest for colder draft and blowing silt protection. Price is great. I have a few shelters and this one will stay for awhile. Got rid of my contrail to stick with this one.

I like the look of the Notch for sure but was somewhat worried about vestibule space. Idahohunter how much can you fit in the vestibule? Would there be enough room in there if or storm blew in for a day or 2?

My top 2 Tarptent options right now are the Notch or SS1 for the extra space.

whitingja

WKR
I had the Stratospire 2 and loved it. Very roomy, worth the extra weight. But the one will have tons of vestibule space. Its a sweet tent.