Freestanding Lightweight Tent

I'm looking for a freestanding lightweight 2 person tent for hunting/camping/backpacking. One of my main criteria is to be able to pitch/strike the tent without exposing the inside to rain.

The Kuiu Mountain Star is the only tent I can find that meets this criteria. Is anyone aware of another tent that may work?

*zap*

WKR
there are a few tents that you can set the fly with the footprint and then set up the tent inside that. msr and rei seem to ring a bell for that, not sure the exact model other than the msr elixer which is not very light.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
FWIW.......The mountain star is a great tent.
Stormworthy, easy to set up, well made and is perfect for one......a bit tight for 2.

Randy

Clarktar

WKR
FWIW.......The mountain star is a great tent.
Stormworthy, easy to set up, well made and is perfect for one......a bit tight for 2.

Randy
I used the mountain star on a couple alpine last year. I like that thing. I was wanting something free standing, weather capable, and that could deal with alot of moisture/condensation. It was great and I'll use it again when I want something freestanding.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
I'm too busy hunting to take as many pictures as Randy!
03a1dd6b792cbcd6b4dec78afff9612e.jpg

I'm too busy hunting to take as many pictures as Randy!

Looks like you have the updated Mountainstar with carbon poles. Don't trust them! Get the Aluminum poles if you can. I had a carbon pole break this winter while camped on a beach in the Philippines with gusts of around 30-40 mph.

I'm looking for a freestanding lightweight 2 person tent for hunting/camping/backpacking. One of my main criteria is to be able to pitch/strike the tent without exposing the inside to rain.

The Kuiu Mountain Star is the only tent I can find that meets this criteria. Is anyone aware of another tent that may work?
The Hilleberg Rogen meets this criteria and is built far better than a Mountainstar, at about a lb heavier pack weight.

Clarktar

WKR
Looks like you have the updated Mountainstar with carbon poles. Don't trust them! Get the Aluminum poles if you can. I had a carbon pole break this winter while camped on a beach in the Philippines with gusts of around 30-40 mph.
I think it's the newer tent, but I have aluminum poles. I prefer the bend don't break character of aluminum over the break don't bend carbon!

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the mountain star, I love mine. However, it is absolutely NOT a two person tent. It got cramped even solo on my elk hunt last fall.

Hilleberg Niak or Rogen. Rogen is slightly bigger with 1 extra vestibule. Niak is slightly smaller but lighter. If you are not going with your SO, I'd want the Rogen. If you don't mind being close, Niak.

sivart

WKR
I love the copper spur, but was considering trying the tiger wall, as it saves 10 oz

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Niak. Pretty bomber shelter, quick to setup (and take down) and decently light. More of a 1.5 person tent (or two if it’s your spouse:))

IoVpCef.jpg