Freezer bag cooking ?

bwlacy

WKR
I've tried several meals over the past month in Ziploc freezer bags. Some taste ok, but most of them have a weird off taste. Almost like a chemical taste. I also tried the Ziploc steamer bags and had the same results. Yet if I put the same food in a bowl and add the water it's fine. So why is it that they taste weird? Is that the normal for all these fbc recipes? I'm not sure I can eat these for 10 days in the mountains. May have to cook in the pot and have to clean up more I guess.

204guy

WKR
We only use ziploc freezer bags. All mountain houses get taken out of original packaging and put in bags. Plus some homemade spaghetti type stuff. I think the acid in the tomato's may react with the plastic some I've noticed the off taste sometimes. Never been to big an issue though.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
We do the fbc recipes, but cook them and eat them out of large to go paper coffee cups. I bought twenty at the local coffee place for five bucks.

They are a bit bulkier than bags. We use the same cup for breakfast and dinner, them burn them in a small fire. At least they are designed to hold hot liquid and I feel like it's better than eating out of a plastic bag that leeches who knows what into your food. And I also think it's better to burn the paper than the plastic bag for the environment. Then we also reuse the ziplocs for years. We also made a cozy that holds two coffee cups.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Maybe I'll try the Ziploc brand bags and see if there is a difference. The ones I have are Wal Mart brand. The worst one I've tasted was Kraft Easy Mac and Cheese that is intended for the microwave. Poured the hot water in the bag with just the noodles, when the noodles were ready added the cheese powder. Man that is horrible. But if you do it in the microwave then it tastes just fine.

If we are near water then I won't mind just using the pot all the time and having to clean up, but if not then I'd rather eat everything out of the bags.

I use two quarker instant oatmeal in a ziploc pint size bag. One cup of boiling water. Wait a few minutes. Great warm breakfast that doubles as a hand warmer when it is cold. Have for years. Never any weird taste at all. I like the pint size because it is easier to get out the oatmeal with a spoon.

Brent

rayporter

WKR
the mac and cheese is a bear to clean out of your cup. if you find a bag you can use line the cup with it -you will like the idea. heat the water and mac in the cup then pour out the water and put the zip loc bag in a cup and add cheese. great lunch- easy clean up.

also you can do the same with ramen. tear open the top of the ramen and add the hot water. put it in a cup and eat from the bag for easy clean up.

Take-a-knee

Banned
I do high protein cereal, powdered Nido, and protein powder and freeze-dried blueberries in a pint zip-loc freezer bag but this is a cold meal. I've started repackaging Knoor meals (two packages dumped together and then divided into three portions) and vacuum packing them. I then add a foil pack of chicken or tuna, depending on the meal, and let it sit. I use a cozy made from reflectix shaped like an envelope. Since the vacuum bag can't be re-sealed, it has to be propped up while its reconstituting.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Yeah if I do the Mac and Cheese or the new Pasta Roni microwave noodles I'll boil the water and noodles in the cup then dump in a bag for the sauce and to eat. I didn't notice any off flavor with oatmeal or mashed potatoes just the noodles that I've tried.

I've played with the foil packs of tuna and chicken. I think I'm going to try and dehydrate some of the chicken and see how well that works. Then I can have some ground beef or chicken to add to things and save a little weight.

Take-a-knee

Banned
I think I'm going to try and dehydrate some of the chicken and see how well that works. Then I can have some ground beef or chicken to add to things and save a little weight.

If that works for you please let us know. I'm curious. I'm guessing that meat may not re-hydrate as fast as the meal.

Cliff Jacobsen, the northwoods canoe guru, dehydrates a lot of hamburger for one pot meals for his long canoe voyages.

I've dehydrated chicken and it works fine. Just dice it up really fine prior to dehydrating and give it a little extra time to rehydrate before you add the other stuff.

I'll do the chicken for about 20 minutes, then throw in couscous or whatever else I'm adding and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
I've read to use the chicken in a can or pouch and not fresh. So I'll see how canned chicken does and let everyone know. Sounds like Jason has had success with the chicken. Sure would be nice to add to rice, potatoes, noodles etc...

I've read to use the chicken in a can or pouch and not fresh. So I'll see how canned chicken does and let everyone know. Sounds like Jason has had success with the chicken. Sure would be nice to add to rice, potatoes, noodles etc...
I dehydrated canned chicken to use in my teriyaki chicken/veggie/rice dish. worked pretty well. just make sure you rinse it in a colander before dehydrating...and don't worry when it smells like tuna as you dehydrate haha

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
The chicken dehydrated fine but takes a long time to rehydrate for some reason. Seemed like close to an hour and my burger is only about 15 or 20 minutes. Not sure if I'll be taking chicken this year. If I do then I may just take the pouches and have a weight penalty.