Frontal shot

Seems like being able to take a frontal shot is pretty important for calling elk in, what is the ideal spot to aim? And how much margin for error is there? Thanks

On an elk, you're talking about a spot maybe a little bigger than a softball, and a little smaller than a volleyball. Basically think of where the tubing goes from the neck into the body cavity. That's the spot. Windpipe/arteries all run on the bottom side of the spine down the neck and into the body cavity.

Some guys shoot enough horsepower they might be able to chop through the collar bones, but you miss too far left/right/down you risk a deflection and an arrow that never gets into the body cavity. Hit the soft spot and you really only need 10-15" to get most of the plumbing that runs into the top of the heart.

Scoot

WKR
Meaning it's more important to get a setup that puts the elk broadside?
No, meaning some bow/arrow/broadhead combos are poor choices for taking a frontal in the first place. Light poundage and/or light arrows and/or mechanical broadheads all are not good reasons to not take a frontal. Combine any of those three factors and it's even worse. This is obviously my opinion and someone will quickly chime in saying "I shoot frontals with Rages and they work great" (it is the internet afterall), but frontals will work best with a heavy arrow, decent poundage, and a fixed/cut on contact head. On top of that it's always best to limit to relatively close shots and unaware animals. I'm sure some will argue with this info, but I think it's great advice that will help hunters in the field and will decrease the odds of lost blood trails for folks.

OP
G
No, meaning some bow/arrow/broadhead combos are poor choices for taking a frontal in the first place. Light poundage and/or light arrows and/or mechanical broadheads all are not good reasons to not take a frontal. Combine any of those three factors and it's even worse. This is obviously my opinion and someone will quickly chime in saying "I shoot frontals with Rages and they work great" (it is the internet afterall), but frontals will work best with a heavy arrow, decent poundage, and a fixed/cut on contact head. On top of that it's always best to limit to relatively close shots and unaware animals. I'm sure some will argue with this info, but I think it's great advice that will help hunters in the field and will decrease the odds of lost blood trails for folks.
Ah, thought you meant calling setup. I'm trying the high FOC thing for this season

Wrench

WKR
A couple things.....paradox is paramount. The arrow must be straight at impact.

Trajectory dictates point of aim and shot choice.

Big target board, smallish target. Good success if you strike gold....or not if you don't.

Don't get caught drawing.

BBob

WKR
I've killed elk and mule deer on frontal's and even with mechanicals. If you have a good picture on where the heart lung bundle comes together and the shot is lined up it's very effective. Gotta shoot straight and have patience to take the right shot though. My longest was a high country mule deer in the Ruby's on a bedded buck at 65 yds. Drilled him solid and he didn't go far, but I shoot confident and straight :) Would never take that shot on an elk though, elk would have to be up close and personal which they generally are in a calling situation.