Frustrated - Ready to sell my Sh!t

gjaspardi

FNG
It sounds like you are hunting in western NC. That's a tough place to cut your teeth on whitetail. Low deer densities, big woods, little habitat diversity all make for a challenge. That being said, there are deer there and you can kill them. I spent a significant amount of time hunting the Pisgah National Forest back in the early 2000's. I was like you, I could find tons of fresh deer sign, yet never see a deer. Then, I finally figured out that the deer sign I was seeing was being made at night. You need to get tight to their bedding areas.

Don't let people discourage you on the spot and stalk aspect. It can be done here in NC. In fact, the big woods of the national forest actually play out nicely to spot and stalk. That's how I shot my first deer on Pisgah. I found a big ridge and spent an entire day just slowly working my way along that ridge. Take a few steps, stop and look and glass. Learn how to move through the woods like a deer or a squirrel. Deer are not overly concerned with noise they hear, especially if it's rustling/crunch leaves. They rely on their nose more than anything. Put the wind in your face and just ease along. Getting within bow range can definitely be a challenge, but if you are competent at 50 yds, you probably can get that close. I shot my first one from the ground with a muzzleloader at 60 yds.

I actually do a lot of spot an stalk hunting. I mostly hunt public land in NW NC now. It's very similar to Pisgah, lots of big woods. There is a little more habitat diversity and higher deer densities, so that helps. But my favorite thing to do is to go on "walkabout." I just grab my weapon of choice and spend the day easing through the woods. Honestly, I probably spook more deer than I see, but, as long as I have the wind in my face, the ones I spook usually just trot off and then will stop and try to figure out what the heck that weird thing is moving through the woods.

You are free to PM me with questions. And, if you are hunting Pisgah National Forest, I may be able to steer you the direction of some places I had success in the past. I no longer hunt those areas, and I will be honest, my intel is several years old, but it still may help.
@timekiller13 Just stumbled upon this post as I recently moved to the area and am trying to get pointed in the right direction for hunting Pisgah and learning how the deer behave here. I am not sure how to PM on here, but would love some insight. I have years of hunting deer in New England under my belt and a few elk hunts so I am not new to hunting, just new to Pisgah, the food sources here and Mountain Whitetails. Would love some insight. I know I just need to put boots on the ground but would love some insight to get started on the right foot/areas.

I am not sure how to pm here, I am sure if you send me a message I can figure it out from there if you're willing to share some knowledge still.

Thanks in advance.

hflier

WKR
Ground hunting whitetail is very difficult, not impossible. But I would not recommend in your situation. Get a light weight stand set-up or a tree saddle and be mobile. It must be easy to set up so you are discouraged from moving when things aren't happening. Find the deer by putting in leg work. You must play the wind 100% no exceptions. You must be very conscious of all movement and noise. I have learned a few other things over the last 10 years. 90% of the woods is unproductive. You have to find the 10%. Go to where others won't. This is usually more than a half mile from a road. Most people drag their Deer out and they don't want to go in very far (learn the gutless method and this becomes a non issue). Don't waist your time when conditions aren't right. Good warm weather is usually a waste of time. Hunt when others don't. Week days, be in the woods when a big football game is on TV in your area etc. Hunt in light rain. You get the idea, you want to be out there when the average guy isn't. Find and kill Does, helps you get good, you get through your mistakes with them, you can learn the gutless method. Then when the big one comes running through in the rut you will be ready.

I used to spend a bunch of time in the woods and saw nothing. Now I spend less time out, but have encounters almost every time. I hunt only public land with no bait etc. My season starts October 1st for Archery, but I don't even go out to hunt until 2-3 weeks after because it was usually a waste of time. Deer don't move much as food is plentiful and they don't need to move. Good Bucks aren't moving in early season. Don't drive your ATV to your hunting spot (can't believe how many people do this). Don't smoke if you do. Keep your hunting clothes relatively scent free with scent free detergent. Shower before you go with scent free soap. If I am on a stand, I usually put out some Doe piss, I know a lot of folks laugh at this. I don't think it it is a miracle cure, but it helps mask what little scent you still have. This year I have had 3 deer run to my tree to figure that smell out.

Also, keep at it. Seems like years 4-5 start to pay off as you start to apply all the hard lessons learned in the first few years.

IMG_0124 (2).JPG

Yoder

WKR
I hunt north east PA public land. It gets pounded by hunters. I've seen more deer in the last three years than ever. I don't use any scent control. I hunt the wind always and watch my access routes. Check out Dan Infalt on YouTube. He has some outstanding advice for whitetails. Using some of his tactics have made a big difference.

Travis907

WKR
Lots of good advise on here! Even if you are a seasoned hunter you should still be learning!
Watch the wind
Be a mobile treestand hunter
Get boots on the ground and learn the property!
Run trail cams to learn what’s in your area and movement
Be patient,keep at it and have fun while you are doing it! It’s all about the experience, the kill is just a bonus!

Broomd

WKR
Ground hunting whitetail is very difficult, not impossible. But I would not recommend in your situation. Get a light weight stand set-up or a tree saddle and be mobile. It must be easy to set up so you are discouraged from moving when things aren't happening. Find the deer by putting in leg work. You must play the wind 100% no exceptions. You must be very conscious of all movement and noise. I have learned a few other things over the last 10 years. 90% of the woods is unproductive. You have to find the 10%. Go to where others won't. This is usually more than a half mile from a road. Most people drag their Deer out and they don't want to go in very far (learn the gutless method and this becomes a non issue). Don't waist your time when conditions aren't right. Good warm weather is usually a waste of time. Hunt when others don't. Week days, be in the woods when a big football game is on TV in your area etc. Hunt in light rain. You get the idea, you want to be out there when the average guy isn't. Find and kill Does, helps you get good, you get through your mistakes with them, you can learn the gutless method. Then when the big one comes running through in the rut you will be ready.

I used to spend a bunch of time in the woods and saw nothing. Now I spend less time out, but have encounters almost every time. I hunt only public land with no bait etc. My season starts October 1st for Archery, but I don't even go out to hunt until 2-3 weeks after because it was usually a waste of time. Deer don't move much as food is plentiful and they don't need to move. Good Bucks aren't moving in early season. Don't drive your ATV to your hunting spot (can't believe how many people do this). Don't smoke if you do. Keep your hunting clothes relatively scent free with scent free detergent. Shower before you go with scent free soap. If I am on a stand, I usually put out some Doe piss, I know a lot of folks laugh at this. I don't think it it is a miracle cure, but it helps mask what little scent you still have. This year I have had 3 deer run to my tree to figure that smell out.

Also, keep at it. Seems like years 4-5 start to pay off as you start to apply all the hard lessons learned in the first few years.

View attachment 480555
I also use doe piss for some cover scent--estrous piss later in season (note: never on myself.) This year I had several deer come right into my scent stream to check it out. The 4 y/o buck I was after did this three days in a row, but always minutes after legal shooting light had ended. He knew I was there, but wasn't concerned in low light. I refused to take him even a second after legal light had passed, so the game was tedious.
He finally slipped up and came in to check the Tinks '69' pee wick from the upwind side and during daylight, the rest is history.

Last edited:
I am at the end of my rope with whitetail hunting... About ready to sell all my stuff and take up golf (which I hate).

I started hunting late in life (5 years ago). The last 3 years I have probably spent more time elk hunting (out West) but have spent a decent amount of time whitetail hunting here back east where I live (NC).

I scout.

I actually am very skilled at finding deer sign. Like this weekend, a game warden gave me some new access points to public land and on my first trip in, I find a spot where it was clear deer were feeding on acorns (there was glistening scat) and a runway where literally every 30 yards a scrape and rubs. Clearly some runway a nice buck was using.

I have done this "blind" in several parcels of public land. Even have found bear...

But I can't "see" any deer nor get any within shooting distance.

I try to manage my scent, and definitely manage the wind. Scent wise I have an ozone box I keep my clothes in and run it before I go out. I also spray down with scent killer before walking in the woods. Wind wise, I do my best but these big woods parcels often have swirling/changing winds.

I manage my noise. Granted it is nearly impossible to be quiet in these places, as there are deadfall, twigs, and dried leaves EVERYWHERE. So I step, stop; step, step, stop; make scraping noises... otherwise try not to sound like a human and more like an animal moving through the woods.

The public lands I hunt are east coast big woods. They are semi (small) mountainous. There are hardwoods, evergreens (southern pines, junipers and faux cedars). I hunt the edges of these, I hunt the topographic changes, I hunt the bottoms, hedge rows.... You name it. I still hunt and set up stands.

And I KNOW, that this time of the season is tough to kill a deer, but i have done this (gun and archery) for 3 seasons and just not having any luck.

Any ideas I am open to.
Welcome to whitetails. Understand that in the east, it’s a different game altogether as well. Throw the two together and it’s a lot tougher hunting than anything out west where you can see.

NC has a lot of deer. And a lot of places for them to hide. If you are in the piedmont area, I can put you in touch with a guy who manages about 4000 acres of lease land. Busted up into 50-150 acre parcels.

Lots of big bucks there and every year any deer can fill its belly with yards if it’s bedding area. It’s a tough place to hunt for sure.

OspreyZB

Lil-Rokslider
To quote one of the best whitetail hunters I know, Travis Murray "Failure is the seasoning that makes success taste so good".