Gaiters - Over or Under

rino

FNG
For years I've worn gortex OR crocodile gaiters. They are bomber and teamed with a good waterproof boot gives peace of mind in quick stream crossings up to 8" (if you walk quick).

I've always been aware of the wicking effect pants and socks can do (without gaiters in wet grass) - pulling water to the sock then down into boot.

So...I was pondering the other day, I have always kept my pants over my boots, then the gaiters over. Been thinking that I might be better off rolling up pant to top of boot, so water that creeps between boot and gaiter doesn't hit pants and start to wick.

In snow I still feel that over boot creates a good tight fit to keep snow out and would be warmer.

Anyone go pants rolled up for spring/wet conditions? Your thoughts...

Rolled pants are popular in Portland. If you're gonna roll then you gotta rock a manbun up top to balance it out. A tattoo sleeve with trees and/or mountains is an additional accessory to consider.

My experience with the gaiter is that they keep the bottom of my pants dry even if they hang over the boot.

Rob5589

WKR
Rolled pants are popular in Portland. If you're gonna roll then you gotta rock a manbun up top to balance it out. A tattoo sleeve with trees and/or mountains is an additional accessory to consider.

My experience with the gaiter is that they keep the bottom of my pants dry even if they hang over the boot.
:LOL:

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I wear the first lite gators almost all the time, do not roll my pants and never had a wicking issue. The only issue I've had is when the grass is really wet and tall, those gators aren't tall enough.

OP
rino

rino

FNG

Some of the places I hunt, mostly in spring include numerous 8" deep by 20 foot wide creek crossings. I might start doing it Polish style...less the manbun haha

elkguide

WKR
Never roll my pants up. Some of the boots that I wear, I put my pants inside the boots.
Never had a wicking issue.

You sure about not going with the man bun?

Maverick940

Banned
I don't have problems with water wicking up from the hem. More water wicks down from the knee, than up from the ankles or shins (lol).

Rich M

WKR
I've had 2 experiences where wicking water was really bad for my health. Lived thru both but will have either wool or synthetic pants with gaiters for my next long distance hunt.

I just kind of put the bottom edge of my pant leg just inside the top of my boot. It leaves a little bit of extra hanging out but not a huge lump. Then gaiters over everything.

Gaiters have been a game changer for me. I mostly hunt back east and absolutely love them for every season. I actually get away with an uninsulated boot pretty far into the winter because the gaiter keeps warmth in.

I wear my gaiters the traditional way, but I did hear Brian Call talk about wearing knee high socks with gaiters under his pants on really wet hunts, to prevent water from wicking down into the boots.

alpinej7

Lil-Rokslider
I too wear my gators the traditional / standard way. In addition to water / moisture barrier it also provides great protection against rocks, briars, snags on your pants.

Wackedo

FNG
I too wear my gators the traditional / standard way. In addition to water / moisture barrier it also provides great protection against rocks, briars, snags on your pants.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only reason I wear gaiters is to keep the bottom of my pants dry and burr-free. Similar reason why I wore them in the winter too..........to keep my pants from freezing solid around my boots in the snow.