Waterproof Questions / Crispi

j43097

FNG
Question for the room regarding the laponia 2 / lighter weight boots in general. I picked up a pair of laponia 2's a couple months ago. Love the boot and have been wearing it on light hikes, a few mild creek crossings with no water issues. Thursday I spent several hours 6/ plus in the rain walking through marshes and wet grass. L and R both started to get wet inside after 4-6 hours. I was wearing gaiters and rain pants and I'm sure no water got in over the top. Is that amount of time in the water unreasonable to expect Gortex to remain water proof? ( leather was completely saturated). I did exactly the same hike in the same conditions this morning with my Crispi guide gtx ( because the laponias were still saturated) bone dry and the leather was just as saturated as the laponias. ( The guides are 6 years older) I know gortex has a one year warranty and I'm not unhappy with the boot, but I don't want to hassle with warranty stuff if I will have the same issue with new ones. Is that just the compromise i make for using a light boot? I'm interested in any thoughts and experiences.

Attachments

• 20230921_181533[1].jpg
    20230921_181533[1].jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 38

matthewmt

WKR
I'm running a pair of these for the last wk. No wet hunts yet so I'm curious to hear others feedback too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Archer32

FNG
I had the Lapponia 2’s and both boots wetted out. Crispi warranted them and I went to the Crispi Altitude boots. While I like them better than the Lapponia and Lapponia 2, my right boot has now wetted out in season. Just some wet grass, gaiters on, definitely coming in from the top of the toe box.

OP
J

j43097

FNG
I had the Lapponia 2’s and both boots wetted out. Crispi warranted them and I went to the Crispi Altitude boots. While I like them better than the Lapponia and Lapponia 2, my right boot has now wetted out in season. Just some wet grass, gaiters on, definitely coming in from the top of the toe box.
Thanks for the reply, I think ill push through the season and then warranty them as well. Just curious, why did you like the altitude better?

Archer32

FNG
Thanks for the reply, I think ill push through the season and then warranty them as well. Just curious, why did you like the altitude better?
Flex is pretty similar and the sole/grip is much more robust. Better on scree, and steep stuff and sidehilling.

jwags551

FNG
Looking at the Altitudes and Lapponias. I had the Briksdals and they were wayyyy to stiff. I also noticed with how stiff the Briksdals were, they weren't very stealthy or stable/grippy hopping over blowdowns. Any input on the Lapponias or Altitudes for stealth or agility?

The suede on lapponias and the synthetic upper on the Altitudes will never be as durable or as waterproof as nubuck or full grain leather will be. If you’re worried about waterproofing I’d look towards full grain but I am surprised yours leaked that soon. Flexible boots like the lapponias tend to leak easier so maybe it wore through after awhile. You can’t condition a boot to much and that will help with the saturation.