Game Warden shortage nationwide

nrh6.7

WKR
If you just south of Casper maybe it could have been the wildlife biologist. The wildlife biologist that handles that area is a female. The biologists and wardens wear the same uniforms; the only exception is the game wardens wear a badge. The biologists are often mistaken for game wardens because they drive very similar pick-ups and wear the same uniform.

If it was the wildlife biologist I can see why you would say it was a "very pleasant experience". I have known her for many years and she is a quality person.

ClearCreek

Is her name Mariah? I talked to her on the phone and via text a couple years ago and she couldn't have been nicer. Very helpful and went out of her way to help.

Last edited:
Got busted several years ago on a Malone ranch in CO GMU 6 For trespass. in the Past we had deer hunted there with no problems. He had just bought the ranch. The Warden assigned to the case tried to talk the ranch manager out of pressing charges but regretfully was charged and I lost 5 points. I have had very good experiences with CO wardens

KurtR

WKR
I went for 2 years then found out the pay was not good and you didnt have time to hunt or fish. So that made me change my mind

I think you're going to see this for a lot more than just Game Wardens shortly. Constant turmoil, general hatred and disrespect is going to force a lot of public servants out. An acquaintance hit retirement in LE a couple years ago. Was so excited to get out and enjoy his post retirement job as a park ranger. He just put his notice in, said he has never seen such hatred and disrespect as what we are seeing right now.

I’ve had a few good experiences and a couple really bad experiences. My brother just got hired in MA as a warden, as a veteran he was 285th on the list and once he got the disabled veteran status he jumped to like 14th and was hired in the next wave. He has the exact same package as the MA state police which is the highest law enforcement wage in the state I believe

Coldtrail

WKR
Natural Resources law enforcement is an interesting gig, it is the only LE than can randomly contact people that are doing things completely legal and in some cases enter private lands to do it. I wonder how long that things will stay like that? Seems like as society becomes more constitutionally aware that the day may come where being only "checked" by the warden is a thing of the past & you will only see them if you did, or someone thinks you did something wrong? If I were the chief of all game wardens I would make sure that every compliance check would be done tactfully and respectful so that somebody doesn't get a bent nose and decide to challenge the authority in court.

Natural Resources law enforcement is an interesting gig, it is the only LE than can randomly contact people that are doing things completely legal and in some cases enter private lands to do it. I wonder how long that things will stay like that? Seems like as society becomes more constitutionally aware that the day may come where being only "checked" by the warden is a thing of the past & you will only see them if you did, or someone thinks you did something wrong? If I were the chief of all game wardens I would make sure that every compliance check would be done tactfully and respectful so that somebody doesn't get a bent nose and decide to challenge the authority in court.
Amen. That and truck inspection stations and othe check points are 100% unconstitutional

But I don’t see it getting better like you do.

Coldtrail

WKR
I don't have much familiarity with the check point type checks or what kind of information those are based on before setting them up so neutral on that. I work in Law Enforcement so see both sides and I don't broadcast my profession to whoever is contacting me on my own time, so I've seen a wide variety of "communication styles" by both wardens and regular law enforcement. I have experienced old veteran officers that were laid back & respectful while still conveying to me they mean business, to the young new officers that just about proned me out on the ground because I was wearing a holstered pistol. Seems like the latter is becoming more common and going to potentially be a catylist for change in the way business is done. I figure I'll accept being checked any day of the week by somebody who treats it as just that...a compliance check to verify I'm in compliance, because I know I'm legal, but start keeping a hand on your gun trying to flank me, asking me 3 different ways if I have drugs, or testing to see how much consent I'll give you to search my stuff when I'm not in violation of anything & I become less supportive.

I support all Law Enforcement, but being in the biz for almost 30yrs I know you have to pick your battles, be respectful to everyone because most deserve that, only flip the a$$hole switch when someone earns it and not before.

To keep on the original topic....these types of changes and behaviors are things we will see as the hiring processes get more flexible to fill uniforms and more non hunter types become officers. Add to that the days of officer discretion are going away in exchange for rules and "consistent operational policy" plus a generation of young adults that need strict rules and policy to follow in order to complete a task and I expect these compliance checks to become much more robotic and less friendly. I hope I'm wrong...but just sayin'

Amen. That and truck inspection stations and othe check points are 100% unconstitutional

But I don’t see it getting better like you do.

I am not sure what you mean by "truck inspection stations and othe check points", but in my state the G&F sets up "Game Check Stations" where all hunters (and anglers) that pass those stations must stop and those check stations, if set up properly (marked with signs, etc) have been determined to be in compliance with the laws. (You can be issued a citation if you fail to stop at these game check stations while you are hunting or fishing.)

Natural Resource agencies typically have a representative from the states attorneys general office that is available to review these, and other activities, to ensure they comply with the state and federal constitution.

ClearCreek

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Thankless job....from the Public.
I was a Park Ranger for 20 yrs and my best bud was a GW for 35 yrs. Worked with them almost daily.
Have decent folks here in my area. Just overworked & underpaid in huge areas,alone.
So, don't ask me how I feel about tag or licence increases.
I'll just say,SO..........so what.

I am not sure what you mean by "truck inspection stations and othe check points", but in my state the G&F sets up "Game Check Stations" where all hunters (and anglers) that pass those stations must stop and those check stations, if set up properly (marked with signs, etc) have been determined to be in compliance with the laws. (You can be issued a citation if you fail to stop at these game check stations while you are hunting or fishing.)

Natural Resource agencies typically have a representative from the states attorneys general office that is available to review these, and other activities, to ensure they comply with the state and federal constitution.

ClearCreek
Yeath that’s unconstitutional. I don’t care what some dirt bag lawyer says.

I was taking about truck weigh /inspection stations and dui checkpoints also. Total bs. The 4th is clear

Yeath that’s unconstitutional. I don’t care what some dirt bag lawyer says.

I was taking about truck weigh /inspection stations and dui checkpoints also. Total bs. The 4th is clear

So you are an attorney that has taken these activities to state and federal supreme courts?

You can think they are in violation of the 4th amendment, but until the Supreme Court of the US rules so, they can continue.

By your responses (dirt bag lawyer kinda gives you away) I would assume you have had issues with these "inspection stations" in the past??

ClearCreek

I think you're going to see this for a lot more than just Game Wardens shortly. Constant turmoil, general hatred and disrespect is going to force a lot of public servants out. An acquaintance hit retirement in LE a couple years ago. Was so excited to get out and enjoy his post retirement job as a park ranger. He just put his notice in, said he has never seen such hatred and disrespect as what we are seeing right now.

This. I work in LE. They’re exiting in droves. Not so much here in the great state of Idaho fortunately, but just across the border from me in WA; Sheesh. Look out, cause y’all over there are going to be on your own pretty soon.

As far as wardens go, we could always use more positions (but that’s every LE agency), but Idaho is full with the positions they have, last I heard anyway. I thought about switching over, but I love to hunt and fish too much, and don’t want to be constantly busy working during my hunting and fishing seasons.

So you are an attorney that has taken these activities to state and federal supreme courts?

You can think they are in violation of the 4th amendment, but until the Supreme Court of the US rules so, they can continue.

By your responses (dirt bag lawyer kinda gives you away) I would assume you have had issues with these "inspection stations" in the past??

ClearCreek
I don’t need to be a constitutional lawyer to understand an infringement on the 1st, 2nd, 4th etc. anymore then I need to be a professional painter to notice things like orange peel etc etc.

And no I haven’t had a problem personally with inspection stations but I do have a problem with the loss of liberty and destruction of our constitutional rights that is happening in this country. I have had wardens destroy fields and yards I own to check hunters that haven’t done anything wrong.

You need to have probable cause to pull someone over. Checking hunters with no probable cause is the same as a cop pulling you over to see if you had a license. This stuff isn’t complicated.

The Supreme Court said slavery was constitutional and they have turned completely status quo and politically correct. A fool looks to them as the end all be all.

Will_m

WKR
I don’t need to be a constitutional lawyer to understand an infringement on the 1st, 2nd, 4th etc. anymore then I need to be a professional painter to notice things like orange peel etc etc.

And no I haven’t had a problem personally with inspection stations but I do have a problem with the loss of liberty and destruction of our constitutional rights that is happening in this country. I have had wardens destroy fields and yards I own to check hunters that haven’t done anything wrong.

You need to have probable cause to pull someone over. Checking hunters with no probable cause is the same as a cop pulling you over to see if you had a license. This stuff isn’t complicated.

The Supreme Court said slavery was constitutional and they have turned completely status quo and politically correct. A fool looks to them as the end all be all.

You’re fairly ignorant on the law. What you just said was tantamount to giving your own medical diagnosis and saying “I don’t care what some dirt bag doctor says.” Smdh.

264win

WKR
Like others have mentioned, being a warden doesn’t pay very well and really limits a persons opportunity to pursue some outdoor activities.
Given the above, I am surprised at how many great wardens we have.

With the required education and work load, I really think the job should pay better.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
When I lived in Michigan, the few times that I interacted with Game Wardens it was always very positive. I liked those guys. When I moved to Mississippi I expected the Game Wardens to be like the folks in Michigan. Wrong! Most of the Game Wardens I've dealt with down here are not friendly at all and look for any chance they can to write you a ticket. My outlook on Game Wardens (down south) is now pretty negative. They make a lot less money than the ones up north and the requirements in order to become a Game Warden aren't as strict. Maybe that is a factor.

Will_m

WKR
When I lived in Michigan, the few times that I interacted with Game Wardens it was always very positive. I liked those guys. When I moved to Mississippi I expected the Game Wardens to be like the folks in Michigan. Wrong! Most of the Game Wardens I've dealt with down here are not friendly at all and look for any chance they can to write you a ticket. My outlook on Game Wardens (down south) is now pretty negative. They make a lot less money than the ones up north and the requirements in order to become a Game Warden aren't as strict. Maybe that is a factor.

The entirety of Mississippi’s department of wildlife is largely incompetent. There’s a commission that’s made up of people with no background in wildlife who set the rules. The requirements for being a game warden are basically a physical fitness test and being able to write your name, spelling it mostly correct.

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
A lack of candidates is directly related to the pay and benefits. If they offered great pay and benefits for the work they would have the people. Since they don't want to do that they struggle for people. It's not a tough equation to figure out.