Tikka T3x 270WSM, 300WSM, 7mmRM

bhylton

WKR
my hunting partner shoots a tikka 06 with 178 eld-x handloads at a chronoed 2880fps. your not under gunned with that pretty much ever. and if the argument for factory loads still stands from earlier in the thread, cant beat the ol, 06.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
16......more often than not, I follow the voice of reason and talk myself out of buying new equipment by doing exactly what you originally suggested. I typically think about it long enough that something else comes up more important and the money goes there (like the new set of tires that I finally conceded couldn't wait until spring).

I could have bought the stainless Tikka two days ago in 7 mag or 300 WSM at Sportsmans when my wife said......"just but it for Christmas". I just couldn't bring myself to dump the cash without thinking it through more.

16Bore

WKR
I'm an 80% return on 20% effort type fella. There's a lot of reasons to do a lot of things, but 99 things fail before the rifle does. I scratched rifle itches to end up at the same conclusion each time.

Very little of it matters. Guys will argue that the difference between success and failure is a .670
BC vs a .450. Blah blah, bullshit. Problem is very few will admit to the cash and time wasted on this crap.

Except me.....it is what is is.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 270WSM tikka t3 lite with a lot of stuff done to it. I'm a huge fan of the 270WSM and have killed a lot of stuff with it (antelope, deer, elk and moose) using 140gr Nosler Accubonds and it flat out works. This is my go to light weight do all hunting rig that I'm comfortable shooting out to 600yds on an animal. That being said the only reason I ended up with the 270WSM over a 7MM was because I got a killer deal on the gun that I couldn't say no to. If I was to walk into a store looking for a Tikka I would without a doubt get a 7MM. The main reason is as stated above; how readily available ammo is especially if you don't reload and lots of different bullet choices. Put a break on it and a limbsaver recoil pad and have fun.

danarnold

WKR
I shoot a 270WSM tikka t3 lite with a lot of stuff done to it. I'm a huge fan of the 270WSM and have killed a lot of stuff with it (antelope, deer, elk and moose) using 140gr Nosler Accubonds and it flat out works. This is my go to light weight do all hunting rig that I'm comfortable shooting out to 600yds on an animal. That being said the only reason I ended up with the 270WSM over a 7MM was because I got a killer deal on the gun that I couldn't say no to. If I was to walk into a store looking for a Tikka I would without a doubt get a 7MM. The main reason is as stated above; how readily available ammo is especially if you don't reload and lots of different bullet choices. Put a break on it and a limbsaver recoil pad and have fun.

What's a lot of work mentioned on yours ?
I have a T3 in 300WSM/ blue, I like the gun and the round but was seriously considering getting the T3X lite in stainless then adding the micro bastard and a limb saver, or should I just add the micro bastard... to my existing and save $$
Right now I'm using it for Whitetail and don't shoot near as far as a lot of you guys but I'm gonna take it out west next year and Add a rifle hunt to my annual archery elk hunt
Not trying to hijack the thread

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have a T3 in 300WSM/ blue, I like the gun and the round but was seriously considering getting the T3X lite in stainless then adding the micro bastard and a limb saver, or should I just add the micro bastard... to my existing and save $$
Right now I'm using it for Whitetail and don't shoot near as far as a lot of you guys but I'm gonna take it out west next year and Add a rifle hunt to my annual archery elk hunt

If you install a brake you won't even need a recoil pad, let alone an after market one......

Here's an old video I took of my buddy shooting his T3 7mm mag with a Micro Bastard brake.

[video=youtube;EASb0fjY6zg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EASb0fjY6zg[/video]

907to406

Lil-Rokslider

I say "a lot of work" but really just a bunch of bolt on parts and cerakoting. The only actual gunsmithing was the break and fluted bolt. Planning on a manners stock and Proof barrel in the near future though. It shot bug holes before all the components and shoots bug holes after they were put on so whether or not they made a difference in accuracy its hard to say but it did lighten up the gun and make it more reliable in my opinion.

husky390

WKR
How much does noise increase with the muzzle brake?

I won't shoot a braked or ported rifle without hearing protection and am now looking into some type of ear plugs to wear when hunting with a standard barrel. I'd much rather beat up my shoulder temporarily than permanently damage my hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I already have some hearing loss in my left ear. I'm sure due to shotgunning as a kid and teenager. I wear hearing protection in all shooting practice now, but not while hunting. I'd rather not stagger around with my ears bleeding after I shoot at an elk. I may be exaggerating a little.

GKPrice

Banned
since the OP didn't mention a brake in his original post I'll not broach the topic per forum directives - The 7mm Remington Magnum is and has been the best selling belted magnum per rifle sales, ammo sales, die sales and forum topics throughout the industry for many years - There is good reason for that trend, the 7mm RM is a near perfect balance of all the necessary requirements for a successful big game round - It is very shootable for the average hunter, it carries good trajectories in a good balance of bullet weights and ammo will always be easy to find, according to industry records the 7mm RM is the most plentiful of the belted magnums and 3rd or 4th for all cartridges - The late Warren Page shepherded the 7 mm Remington Magnum through the Remington "maze" and was instrumental in it's release along with the model 700 bolt action in 1962 (or thereabouts), a prolific and accomplished hunter, guide and handloader Page's "formula" was 175 grains at 3000 FPS from a well appointed rifle = dead "anything", with today's monolithic bullets from Nosler, Hornady, Barnes, etc you can safely adjust down to 150 - 160 grain bullets and be just fine (although 175's are NEVER a bad choice) - Buy yourself a Tikka T3x superlight in 7mm Remington Magnum, swap the recoil pad for a Limbsaver air cell pre-fit pad and you'll have a decently lightweight accurate well engineered and functional hunting rifle that you can leave to your heirs after having killed whatever you chose to hunt prior to that - Save the hearing of your hunting buddies (and your own) by forgetting the muzzle brake because in that combo it's not needed and will just make the perfect length barrel unwieldy when added on the end

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
GK I'm leaning more towards that. I like the 7 mag (where I was at to start with) and finding ammo has never been a problem. It seems like everywhere that I go has 270, 30-06, 308, and 7mm mag (308 was hard to find in 2014). As far as brakes go, discuss them as much as you'd like. I've not considered them previously so like reading the opinions.

I like someone's advice about having two 7 mags shooting identical ammo. That scenario would work well when my boys hunt with me and ammo is interchangeable (Not that it's been a problem). However, I usually let them carry the new and improved and I pack the older heavy stuff, so it may never be mine if I buy. I've considered giving the new set up to my oldest when he graduates, so may never be mine anyway other than set up.

GKPrice

Banned
GK I'm leaning more towards that. I like the 7 mag (where I was at to start with) and finding ammo has never been a problem. It seems like everywhere that I go has 270, 30-06, 308, and 7mm mag (308 was hard to find in 2014). As far as brakes go, discuss them as much as you'd like. I've not considered them previously so like reading the opinions.

I like someone's advice about having two 7 mags shooting identical ammo. That scenario would work well when my boys hunt with me and ammo is interchangeable (Not that it's been a problem). However, I usually let them carry the new and improved and I pack the older heavy stuff, so it may never be mine if I buy. I've considered giving the new set up to my oldest when he graduates, so may never be mine anyway other than set up.

I've close friends who manage a very large ranch in Wyoming who, all totaled, have 4 Tikka T3 superlights in 7mm Rem Mag (and the original Rem 700 "Dad" got back in '65) They all shoot the same 162 gr SST "hot" load, "Dad" does the loading for the bunch - They all seem to shoot that load well enough that a pile of critters get killed every year, many at eye opening ranges - It's common knowledge that it is never a guarantee that a particular rifle will shoot a tried and tested "good load" but it seems to work out for some - I have 2 superlights, an '06 AI and a "plain old '06", before I had the one AI'd they both shot the same 180 accubond load (not "hot" but pretty warm load) into 1/2"-3/4" at 200 yds and now the AI just does it a little bit faster - My point is, a lot of things have changed in the "factory rifle" world over the past few years, although it's a very miniscule test case it seems as though the Finnish gunsmiths who build Tikka's might just have some tricks up their sleeve that they haven't admitted, who knows ? Another brand might be able to claim the same feat but I'll just say that, "bang for the buck", Tikka T3x superlight rifles are very near the top of the list for looks, quality and repetitive accuracy potential for $749 at Sportsmans Warehouse, a combo tough to beat - As a side note, for guys like me who much prefer a 3 function safety, I'm having a Roedale Precision 3 pos. (Model 70 copy) installed in my '06 AI and as soon as I get it back and have a chance to check it out I'll do a short review)

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I've close friends who manage a very large ranch in Wyoming who, all totaled, have 4 Tikka T3 superlights in 7mm Rem Mag (and the original Rem 700 "Dad" got back in '65) They all shoot the same 162 gr SST "hot" load, "Dad" does the loading for the bunch - They all seem to shoot that load well enough that a pile of critters get killed every year, many at eye opening ranges - It's common knowledge that it is never a guarantee that a particular rifle will shoot a tried and tested "good load" but it seems to work out for some - I have 2 superlights, an '06 AI and a "plain old '06", before I had the one AI'd they both shot the same 180 accubond load (not "hot" but pretty warm load) into 1/2"-3/4" at 200 yds and now the AI just does it a little bit faster - My point is, a lot of things have changed in the "factory rifle" world over the past few years, although it's a very miniscule test case it seems as though the Finnish gunsmiths who build Tikka's might just have some tricks up their sleeve that they haven't admitted, who knows ? Another brand might be able to claim the same feat but I'll just say that, "bang for the buck", Tikka T3x superlight rifles are very near the top of the list for looks, quality and repetitive accuracy potential for $749 at Sportsmans Warehouse, a combo tough to beat - As a side note, for guys like me who much prefer a 3 function safety, I'm having a Roedale Precision 3 pos. (Model 70 copy) installed in my '06 AI and as soon as I get it back and have a chance to check it out I'll do a short review)

I went to a local 1KM (1130? yds) shoot this past summer put on by Aubrey White, former owner of NASS- the guys who originally started wildcatting the 404 Jeffrey and founders of the "Canadian" or "imperial magnums" the fore farther of the RUM before Remington got their hands on it.

The whole shoot was basically an inadvertent add for Tikka ( in the Hunter class atleast) Just rows of bone stock Tikka 7rm's with NXS's shooting SMK's.

Hunter class rules are that the rifle must be unmodified and all up with ammo + glass weighing less than 10lb. Within these constrictions guys were shooting 5-10" groups at 1 KM, I think the guy who won the hunter class shot a 4" 3 shot group ( with SMK's).

TeaGull

FNG
If you install a brake you won't even need a recoil pad, let alone an after market one......

Here's an old video I took of my buddy shooting his T3 7mm mag with a Micro Bastard brake.

Justin,

What thread diameter is that? I bought a 1/2 x 28, sent it to a smith with my barreled action and he would not thread it. There was not enough material on the barrel. Additionally, if i jumped to the 9/16 variety, I was told there would not be enough "shoulder" for the brake to seat against.

Can you recommend a Smith to thread my 7mag T3? I'm having a helluva time finding someone to do it for me. I called APA and left a message but have not heard back from them.