Garmin Fenix 5 Plus

Staghorn

FNG
Any Fenix 5 plus users out there with recommendations on watch faces, widgets, etc. for backcountry hunting? I just picked one up and plan on using it this fall in concert with my in reach mini and iPhone with onX.

MikeDaily

FNG
Following to see the results. Been very interested in the watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
I been using the one on the watch, seems to work fine, haven’t really put it to use in the mountains where the topo will shine tho

colonel00

WKR
I've had my Fenix 5X (not plus) for a couple years now. Not really sure what to tell you for the watch face. I use the GearMin face daily and never really found a reason to change it for other activities. I guess it depends on what you'd want the face to show you while hunting other than the standard info.

Mostly I'd just say to "practice" with the watch to get use to the functions and settings. I usually run apps in the UltraTrac to save battery instead of full GPS. However, if you need to be super accurate all the time like on a tough hike that you might have to backtrack in the dark, you'd want to switch to full GPS. Stuff like this is good to flesh out in the off season. Same with marking points and navigating to them. I used my watch 2 years ago to mark some ice fishing holes. It was nice out and not hard to mess with at all. This year when it was below zero and snowing, it suddenly becomes a bit more difficult to try to figure things out that you've forgotten.

To me, the watch is a convenience and backup to a GPS/phone and an inReach. It's interface can be cumbersome for use as a primary navigation tool but as a last resort, it should get you where you need to go.

Oh, pick up a Tempe temp sensor. The temp sensor on the watch just isn't reliable since it is affected by your body heat and takes a while to adjust to ambient temps. I like the Tempe, though it isn't really a requirement but it can help with meat care and gear evaluation (you wake up freezing in a 30 degree bag and you can see that it's actually 35 out).

OP
S

Staghorn

FNG
Thanks @colonel00. I do intend the watch to be a back up device and perhaps use it assist in navigating to previously dropped waypoints.

As far as watch faces, I was just looking for some with data relevant to hunting. Sun up/down times, Elevation, etc. I’ve downloaded but not yet tried the one you mentioned.

I’ll also agree that the interface is cumbersome. I’m trying to practice with it daily on Hikes. And thanks for the tip on UltraTrac. I recall reading about that but haven’t found the setting. Is it a general setting or do you need to change it for each activity?

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, the settings for Ultratrac are in the settings for each activity. So, open Hike and then press and hold the middle button on the left side to open the settings. Then click on Hike Settings. Scroll all the way down to GPS and then choose Ultratrac.

Here's how I have my face setup for daily use. It's kinda "busy" you get used to it. Has just about all the info that I think you'd need. My graph at the bottom currently shows activity/steps (and the lack there of) but you can change it to monitor other stuff like temperature, pressure or elevation. One thing to remember, the elevation data can be a bit funky since it functions off of pressure changes.

qJyT1TFTrbXkJWzSxS14wm4ZijMF44wxPVu5RjVxyycVswBVZfyqWUOIBSBXyNXP_3ukl1EtJIWy4h0oiqBNvjS2oAIQnrtPjfdosfa5WmksZiMznjNE9ZewZAiHBIcfkj4c1PW35fr_qdX5gBztc8qFDNdUEQDa7UDdxMluv3z8bpLNfpWHDNQy3gq7YsQcEEDH8HcSuvJGhITAK47cI8JaZu4d6RrP0on9jGGOpzFdTrWCY_aGcgQ5tTDMf0ubLR7Ag-fBG4coIlrs_zNpCyUVV4WRrX5HqujdwEggIHbXcmyWJJYXiOVLdOELsECi3v9PCw6QsFLI1LoYsaFBRkttQxn66SJz_3MBYGjaqpzpQI3JsU2tFJhj-dY1noBAkVPhqN3e0U-YyFcigp-W_1XyNISw414Abw9NIEB99-DC-Le3N9uk4HEAoJyRrkUZnYmkQOKMaE2FO6Uo7jJqyL3X6ugGUhgYZqd19DkVMbiPWG4wNOaiFaoqKz3q1VjrxIBTf2xS4jD3uygWi5oRyVAfK3JYi2jsOycHkdqYK-6VbJM3FGGn1JsW6kH0VVYmvG1XFC73cBQXRtxCtjOjxyO-eNyySoyuVwEjx35rTzzABhUh9UeY1X8lwjJ5x9mFlACWOCWiGvlFu3NgYIRx-ekaQLRS_UIWJmf2ZOZRTxmQeCtbQDQxaD_zBKu7MvtdJQpRKyB5BECkpjo0z47EMr1JKg=w973-h1297-no

Tank76

FNG
Yeah, the settings for Ultratrac are in the settings for each activity. So, open Hike and then press and hold the middle button on the left side to open the settings. Then click on Hike Settings. Scroll all the way down to GPS and then choose Ultratrac.

Here's how I have my face setup for daily use. It's kinda "busy" you get used to it. Has just about all the info that I think you'd need. My graph at the bottom currently shows activity/steps (and the lack there of) but you can change it to monitor other stuff like temperature, pressure or elevation. One thing to remember, the elevation data can be a bit funky since it functions off of pressure changes.

qJyT1TFTrbXkJWzSxS14wm4ZijMF44wxPVu5RjVxyycVswBVZfyqWUOIBSBXyNXP_3ukl1EtJIWy4h0oiqBNvjS2oAIQnrtPjfdosfa5WmksZiMznjNE9ZewZAiHBIcfkj4c1PW35fr_qdX5gBztc8qFDNdUEQDa7UDdxMluv3z8bpLNfpWHDNQy3gq7YsQcEEDH8HcSuvJGhITAK47cI8JaZu4d6RrP0on9jGGOpzFdTrWCY_aGcgQ5tTDMf0ubLR7Ag-fBG4coIlrs_zNpCyUVV4WRrX5HqujdwEggIHbXcmyWJJYXiOVLdOELsECi3v9PCw6QsFLI1LoYsaFBRkttQxn66SJz_3MBYGjaqpzpQI3JsU2tFJhj-dY1noBAkVPhqN3e0U-YyFcigp-W_1XyNISw414Abw9NIEB99-DC-Le3N9uk4HEAoJyRrkUZnYmkQOKMaE2FO6Uo7jJqyL3X6ugGUhgYZqd19DkVMbiPWG4wNOaiFaoqKz3q1VjrxIBTf2xS4jD3uygWi5oRyVAfK3JYi2jsOycHkdqYK-6VbJM3FGGn1JsW6kH0VVYmvG1XFC73cBQXRtxCtjOjxyO-eNyySoyuVwEjx35rTzzABhUh9UeY1X8lwjJ5x9mFlACWOCWiGvlFu3NgYIRx-ekaQLRS_UIWJmf2ZOZRTxmQeCtbQDQxaD_zBKu7MvtdJQpRKyB5BECkpjo0z47EMr1JKg=w973-h1297-no

I use this same face. I’ve only tried a couple but have found this one to be my favorite so far. It has most of the info I want to see at a glance. I have noticed that the stairs climbed feature is a bit hokey but other than that I love the watch.

i used that face for a few weeks. i settled on the SC8 face and noticed my battery lasted about twice as long, messages came through faster from my phone, and most of the same info was available.

colonel00

WKR
i used that face for a few weeks. i settled on the SC8 face and noticed my battery lasted about twice as long, messages came through faster from my phone, and most of the same info was available.

Hmm, I'll have to try SC8. I have SC7 but rarely use it. I have read that GearMin can be a battery and processing hog and I can see why with all of it's features. If battery life was critical, it would definitely be wise to switch to a more minimalist face for sure.

colonel00

WKR
I use this same face. I’ve only tried a couple but have found this one to be my favorite so far. It has most of the info I want to see at a glance. I have noticed that the stairs climbed feature is a bit hokey but other than that I love the watch.

Yeah, stairs climbed, altimeter, storm warning and anything else that is a function of the barometer is iffy at best. Just too many variables that can affect the pressure reading. For the stairs climbed in particular, all it is doing is guessing when it sees measured "ascent" while registering steps I think. It's just a change in air pressure.

yukonC

Lil-Rokslider
WaterLogger. It’s a great widget to track how many oz of water you drink ensuring you stay hydrated. I use it every day. Remember 1/2 your weight in oz a day!