Garmin Fenix

Thinking about getting a Fenix watch. I dont want to spend too much, maybe $400 max. I think that limits me to the 5 or 6. Those that have done the research can you give me a quick run down of the 5 and 6 series? Is the solar version worth it? I dont want the X based on size. What would you recommend? Are there any good deals right now that you have seen?

Last edited:
I've had a 5, now have a 6. Only got a new one because my 5 was aging and I got a deal on a 6.

My next watch will probably be another Fenix. Probably solar.

Not real helpful I know. Lol

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I got my wife her 7 Sapphire Solar for $500. If you look, you might can find a good deal on the Fenix 7, which has better battery life.

big44a4

WKR
Thinking about getting a Fenix watch. I dont want to spend too much, maybe $400 max. I think that limits me to the 5 or 6. Those that have done the research can you give me a quick run down of the 5 and 6 series? Is the solar version worth it? I dont want the X based on size. What would you recommend? Are there any good deals right now that you have seen?

Solar is worth it IMO. I charge my watch every 20 days or so. The 7 has even better battery life. My wife has a 5 no solar and she’s charging hers every 4 days.

I am still running my 5x. The HR monitor has failed but never really used it anyway and you have the option of an external. I don't charge mine often even after 5 years. When using the GPS for workouts it does have to be charged more often, but it's still way better than an apple watch. Charging ports have a tendency to get gunked up. They make covers for them but I just clean mine really well before I charge.

Whatever you do, get the sapphire glass. 5+ years of hunting, mountain biking, etc, not even a scratch.

OP
MuleyFever
Solar is worth it IMO. I charge my watch every 20 days or so. The 7 has even better battery life. My wife has a 5 no solar and she’s charging hers every 4 days.
Which one do you have? Is the biggest difference between the models the battery life?

I’d check out Coros if you haven’t, battery life is superior to the Garmin. I’ve had my Apex Pro for probably 3+ years now and it hasn’t missed a beat. Depending on how often your tracking activities it will go a month between charges.

OP
MuleyFever
I’d check out Coros if you haven’t, battery life is superior to the Garmin. I’ve had my Apex Pro for probably 3+ years now and it hasn’t missed a beat. Depending on how often your tracking activities it will go a month between charges.
That is impressive battery life. Does it utilize a fitness app? One thing I like about Garmin is the app synchs with my employers health savings account where I earn money from activities.

I wore Fenix 6 Sapphire on my elk hunt this Sept. Was great to have an alternative set of maps/gps just in case something else went south. I did some research here and for most hunts, the solar option wasn't necessarily as valuable as having the sapphire glass in case of breakage.

Now back in the flats, my watch goes 10 days or so w/o even needing a charge, so not sure Solar would be of benefit unless I had GPS running constantly.

Pramo

WKR
3 years on my Fenix 6 pro, great watch mine is finally starting to go down hill battery life. But after 3 years of never taking it off it has held up great I’ll probably replace in the summer with a 7 Pro

I have the 6x Pro Solar and love it. Besides shooting and hunting I play a lot of golf. Their golf GPS and scoring system is awesome.

I have the 6. It’s a great watch, really game changing for workouts. It consistently keeps track of my heart rate better than anything I’ve used. It has a ton of workout modes, including HIIT timers and works well on hikes. I don’t have solar but wish I did.

The next time I buy a watch, it’ll be a new Fenix with solar.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Fenix 5, 10-12 days between charges, just depends on how often I use the GPS and track my running. My wife is an ultra runner and uses Garmin, don’t remove what model she has but it’s be bulletproof. I would recommend the Garmin watches.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a Fenix 6 pro solar last year when they had a big sale. Came from a fit-bit and it is a huge improvement. Love all the features and it’s excellent at tracking runs and hikes. I think solar is a bit of a gimmick but the solar options generally have nire features, which is why I bought it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got a Fenix 5X and I don't charge mine in anything less than 10 days. What is your wife doing she needs to charge hers every 4 days? I've had my 5X since the day they came out.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Ive owned a 6 solar and a 5X regular, currently Instinct 2X. I dont think the solar moves the needle on the Fenix series. The 7 is a bit better as far as the solar, but youve already crossed that one off due to price. The fenix just has features Ill never use, and just feels like a lot more watch on the wrist. The instinct 2x is about the same size as the middle size fenix watches and weighs a good bit less on wrist. Bonus of the 2x over the regular instinct is the flashlight, longer battery life, better tracking and larger face. Not sure if youre dead set on fenix, but the 2x is in your price range.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a slightly used 6x pro off the classifieds and very happy with it and well under your max budget. Don’t use the gps at least yet since I’m hunkered down with kids in winter. But the sleep tracking, HR, steps all that is great and I charge about every 2-3 weeks seems like depending on work out tracking and such. Way better than my wife charging her Apple Watch every night. I use the glance watch face and also have it show current weather and sun up/down time which helps for hunting season.