Garmin Fenix 5x

Texarican

FNG
Currently use a vivosmart hR daily for fitness tracking but I’m strongly considering an upgrade to the Fenix 5X. It offers way more features for my daily use plus full GPS and maps. I’m thinking this could serve as a backup to my hunting partner’s hand held with OnX.
I’d like feedback from those who have owned or used one. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
oh boy..i want one!!

i thought my wife got me one for Christmas. hell, i dropped enough hints. worst wife ever. :)

good luck..there was some chatter about that watch a few months ago..maybe scroll down to page 4 or 5

colonel00

WKR
I love mine. Really haven't use it a ton in the backcountry yet but it's slick. Yeah, I wouldn't rely on it as a primary GPS but it will definitely function as a backup. The GPS isn't super precise. I've walked down a sidewalk, turned around and come back and the mapping lines are off a bit. However, to find your way back to a general area, it will do fine.

Also, you might wait a bit as I think there might be a new model announced soon if it hasn't been already. If nothing else, that might make the "old" 5X a little cheaper.

Brendan

WKR
Love mine. As above, I'd consider it a backup GPS though. Works great as a training watch for logging all your workouts, I even wear it daily some of the time. But, if you compare using it to a full screened GPS or a phone (Gaia) - it isn't even close.

What I do is use my phone with Gaia as my primary when in the field, but have the Fenix as my backup and normal use watch / alarm clock.

I like it for every day, fitness, skiing, counting steps etc.
I have marked way points and it will get you back. Not so sure if it were pitch black in the mountains. It would get you close for sure.

I like the alarm feature.
I have mine set to notify me of sunrise and sunset. Legal hunting hours.
It also does well on tracking you , so you can track back easily enough using the altitude feature along with the built in compass..

It gives you altitude and Baro pressure so you can predict storms and navigate back somewhat.
There is even a radar feature which I haven't been successful in getting opened yet, but if I do, that would be cool for in the mountains and tracking storms.

I have all these features activated and still get a full 2 weeks out of one battery charge. These recharge super fast as well.
I love mine, but with all that said........
I would spend the $500 on something else if needed before this watch though. But if you have your system set up- then yes it's a decent watch with more features than others for the outdoors.

OP
T

Texarican

FNG
Well for anyone that might have Humana health insurance and the GO365 program, they are doing 30% off with garmin right now, just link through the GO365 mall. I will try to order later and report back on success I hope.

OP
T

Texarican

FNG
Well it worked:D Got a 5x for $454 and also grabbed a replacement purple vivosmart band so I can pass that tracker along to my daughter. Can't wait!!!!

we are a garmin dealer if you need help or want to check pricing

for general, keep me from getting lost situations, it should do great

OP
T

Texarican

FNG
Pretty dang happy with it so far. (Day 2 lol). This thing is huge so it will take getting used to. Trying to figure out the golf apps today. Hiked 3.5 with it yesterday and played with the maps some. It’s gonna be nice to have.
819d63d7be1e35df50a5e277c659be19.jpg

This is not a golfing watch this is a hunting watch. If you want to wear a watch while playing golf then go get a ...
Just kidding, this thing is awesome. I went skiing today, it kept track of vert descent, miles, HR, feet of each run, time, speed. This watch just does so much.
You will enjoy it. Except you gotta change that watch face- it looks too golfy
:)

OP
T

Texarican

FNG
Here's what all the cool kids use
;)
3dc2fa14ff7a37b1e0de6a439052644e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ha ha. I’m on my 3rd watch face already and will probably change them frequently depending on activity, travel, etc.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Also Jumped on the 5x bandwagon. I have had it about 3 weeks now and its been great. I even downloaded Birdseye Satellite to it for my area. Only thing I have been disappointed in is the maps and routes. It takes forever sometimes to get a route calculated. Also seems to have some issues recalculating routes when you go off course from what it originally gave you. I know it will be great for trackback and getting back to camp in the Mountains. But i wish it was a bit better for around town. I think they will eventually get there.

Also Jumped on the 5x bandwagon. I have had it about 3 weeks now and its been great. I even downloaded Birdseye Satellite to it for my area. Only thing I have been disappointed in is the maps and routes. It takes forever sometimes to get a route calculated. Also seems to have some issues recalculating routes when you go off course from what it originally gave you. I know it will be great for trackback and getting back to camp in the Mountains. But i wish it was a bit better for around town. I think they will eventually get there.

Out of curiosity were you driving or walking or biking?
I have used the Parked car feature, but never for actual urban GPS. Screen way too small for me to do that, and moving up.down, L,R is a pain with the button changes.
We were in Salt Lake this weekend, and I never thought to try it.
Just curious if it didn't keep up with walking, or car or even biking.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Out of curiosity were you driving or walking or biking?
I have used the Parked car feature, but never for actual urban GPS. Screen way too small for me to do that, and moving up.down, L,R is a pain with the button changes.
We were in Salt Lake this weekend, and I never thought to try it.
Just curious if it didn't keep up with walking, or car or even biking.

Driving. It definitely has a long way to go to become a GPS that you can actually use for that. I was reading the Garmin Forums about the Turn by Turn Directions I show it used to work for alot of folks but quit working after new software releases. Something Garmin is working to figure out.

I was using the Bike Maps from Garmin.

I also downloaded the Talkytoaster maps which seem pretty good. Best Navigation use for me that works best is making routes from PC and loading them to the 5x then waiting till i arrive where my route begins and starting from there. This has worked well for me.

I've worn mine everyday since Christmas. I would recommend getting some screen protectors for it. I ordered mine off Amazon the day I got it. Just an extra layer of protection and they aren't expensive.

Altitude is finicky if you go in and out of buildings as it runs off baro, but seems to be accurate when used for hiking/tracking.

I haven't really played with the maps much, but it get you back to your truck/camp if needed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yea I wont trust it for driving. I have a newer vehicle that just did the software up grade on the GPA system and when out of town this weekend, it was off, and out dated. We ended up using google on our phones.

The screen on the watch for me would be too small to use for much GPS, other than emergency back tracking to my camp or finding vehicle in parking lot.
Sometimes I wonder why they load the data to do a function, when the function is sub par to other stuff.
Why not save that, and or cost, and offer something it will be practical in.

No way I am driving in the city, trying follow the small screen on my watch and getting in a wreck.

Your findings back this point up with even more of an argument that it cant keep up with vehicle speeds, and perhaps it wasn't meant to, after all it is a sports watch, fitness type.

Good info to have, I appreciate your input.

FYI
I did finally get my weather radar (underground weather app) working and got my code to get it set up.
I will utilize this to measure actual real time radar of weather coming in on me in the mountains.
Must be outside to get a good satellite link (wont work sitting in my living room)

This is a good feature to maybe pour more effort into.

I've worn mine everyday since Christmas. I would recommend getting some screen protectors for it. I ordered mine off Amazon the day I got it. Just an extra layer of protection and they aren't expensive.

Altitude is finicky if you go in and out of buildings as it runs off baro, but seems to be accurate when used for hiking/tracking.

I haven't really played with the maps much, but it get you back to your truck/camp if needed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yep I I got one right away- this is so bulky it catches on everything.
I have a scratch on lens, and hope it is only the protector surface

colonel00

WKR
The 5x had a Sapphire crystal doesn't it? You aren't going to scratch that unless you are fighting with diamonds. Better chance of cracking it than scratching and a screen protector probably won't help there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yep, I will pull my protector off and verify if it is true sapphire
The 5x had a Sapphire crystal doesn't it? You aren't going to scratch that unless you are fighting with diamonds. Better chance of cracking it than scratching and a screen protector probably won't help there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk