Garmin Inreach

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
So what exactly is the difference between the Inreach Mini and a regular INreach? Dont they both have about the same functionality?

BBob

WKR
Mini is best used as a basic communicator to send messages and trip updates/locations. It’s GPS functionality is pretty limited as far as navigating. I wouldn’t use it to navigate even with the Earthmate app. It’s best paired with a cellphone for communication and a dedicated cellphone app for gps.

11boo

WKR
I ended up with the mini this year. Flawless. I run OnX, so I always have the phone anyway. I just keep the mini in my pack and Bluetooth into it when needed. You could send messages without the phone, but the screen is about as big as a postage stamp .

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Full sized:
-Longer battery life
-Automatically checks for messages more frequently and this frequency can be changed
-Has some map functionality
-Is slightly easier to message with as a stand alone (but not great)
-Can send near real time tracking

Mini
-Lighter/smaller
-Only checks messages once an hour and 10 minuets after you send a message, this cannot be changed, but a check can be forced manually
-Hard to message from as a stand alone (but doable)
-only bread crumbs and coordinates as a stand alone GPS (no map)
-significantly less battery life
-tracking points only send once an hour, even if you set them to every 10 minuets

For most people the mini will work fine. If planning prolonged expeditions, you need near real time tracking (glacier travel and want people to be able to get close to the crevasse you fell into), or need real time messaging to coordinate activities; get the full sized. Otherwise, get the mini.

Yates

FNG
I've had the mini now for three years now and it's worked great for me. I use the earth mate app and Onxmaps as well and have had no issues at all. A great relief for those at the house to know all is good, the main reason I have it, as I often go alone.

nosman4

FNG
What Marbles said, I have been running the mini for a year now and love it. I use my phone as a gps device, but I may reconsider that if I was in a location that was completely new to me. It's not a bad idea to have a backup gps or know how to use a compass if your phone was to die.

sivart

WKR
So, if I'm reading this right, with the mini.......when you send a message thru your phone, it takes 10 min to get a reply?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So, if I'm reading this right, with the mini.......when you send a message thru your phone, it takes 10 min to get a reply?
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:
The mini will check for messages at the time you send the message, so if one was already sent you will get it at this time.
It then checks again 10 minuets after you sent it, which covers the time frame most people get a reply in. However, if the person gets your message and replies within 1 minuets of you sending it, you will still not get their reply for another 9 minuets. Also, if they are a little delayed and send the reply after the 10 minuet check, you will not get it until an hour has passed (I'm not certain if this is an hour after sending the message or an hour after the 10 minuet check).

This can be a real pain if two people have mini's and are trying to coordinate where minuets or even hours matter. Unlike text messaging, inReach mini's don't make a good radio replacement. The worst case scenario (assuming good connectivity) would be you send a message immediately after the other persons mini has checked for messages, so they don't get it for a full hour. Then, their reply is sent after your mini has just checked for messages, so you don't get the reply for another hour, giving a two hour lag.

The default setting of the Explorer is to check every 10 minuets, but you can set this to be more frequent if needed. You just burn through your battery faster.

You can force manual checks, but this is a real pain if you are actively doing something. You also have to expect a message to be coming because I'm certainly not going to force a manual check even every 10 minuets just in case I was sent something.

As a communication device, the Explorer+ is the most capable. I have not looked at all the GPS units with inReach as Garmin has released some new ones, however the GPSmap 66i has the same limitations as the mini on messaging. These message settings are to extend battery life.

Most people never notice. I'm just a nerd and read the manuals. I've also verified this by playing with sending and receiving messages and tracking points in the yard. Of course, Garmin could change something in a software update and I would probably miss it for a while.

I have noticed several different retailers discounting the mini from $350 to $250 recently. Anybody know why such a huge price drop? I know it's the holiday season but I'm wondering if this might mean a new and improved version is about to be released so they are trying to clear out the older model to make room the new one. Don't like to speculate, just wondering if anyone has any insight as to what is driving the sudden deep discount on the minis.

BBob

WKR
The last time they did this the mini came out but it took quite some time (6, 9,12 months???) for the mini to arrive.

gclubb02

FNG
No experience with the mini but have the explorer + and like it a lot. Looked at the mini some before buying and liked the added features of the full size so thats the route i took

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I've got the Mini and have been happy (with limited expertise/use), but this thread has lead me to do a bit of digging in the never-ending analysis of gear.
  1. link to the Garmin comparison of the Mini vs InReach Explorer + - https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cat...p?compareProduct=592606&compareProduct=561269
  2. Does anyone know if either one of them has a better reception/transmit capability? Both say "High-sensitivity receiver" - so maybe they are equal.
  3. In thinking about #2, I did the "Shop by Feature" function on the Garmin site and chose "Multisatellite networks" which should (?) provide better connectivity. This feature is not available on either the Mini or the InReach Explorer and you are then into a much higher price.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I've got the Mini and have been happy (with limited expertise/use), but this thread has lead me to do a bit of digging in the never-ending analysis of gear.
  1. link to the Garmin comparison of the Mini vs InReach Explorer + - https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cat...p?compareProduct=592606&compareProduct=561269
  2. Does anyone know if either one of them has a better reception/transmit capability? Both say "High-sensitivity receiver" - so maybe they are equal.
  3. In thinking about #2, I did the "Shop by Feature" function on the Garmin site and chose "Multisatellite networks" which should (?) provide better connectivity. This feature is not available on either the Mini or the InReach Explorer and you are then into a much higher price.

The Iridium transmitters in the Mini and the Explorer are the same according to Garmin, so for messaging there should be no difference. I'm not sure about the GPS receivers between the two.

"Multisatellite networks" would refer to positioning networks, not communication. For these you have the US GPS, the Russion GLONASS, and the European Galileo. Devices that receive signals from multiple networks have more satellites, meaning quicker acquisition of the four separate satellites needed for a position fix and the possibility of more accurate fixes due more than four data points.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
Not always....depends on how many others are in the queue on the bird Eathmate on thephone is a good enough GPS forme. But the I usually track with OnX anyway.