Garmin Instinct GPS watch

For those that have it, how would you compare it to other Garmin watches?

I had a Fenix 5X, but it was too big and heavy. Tried a 5 and decided to wait as the plus was coming out.

Been wearing a Forerunner 235 for 18 months or so and really like it. Just upgraded to a 645 music which I have yet to try.

The instinct is on sale everywhere for $200 and considering it for a dedicated hunting watch.

Does it have hunting specific apps or features not found on watches like the 645?

Backyard

WKR
Don't know. That's why I asked.

I get inreach notices on my 235. I'd assume I'll get them on my 645 though I haven't used it yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Pretty sure it will link to any Garmin device and give you text notices from that device. I don't have an Inreach myself. One could always check all the tech specs on the Garmin site for more specific info I would think.

twall13

WKR
Don't know. That's why I asked.

I get inreach notices on my 235. I'd assume I'll get them on my 645 though I haven't used it yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
It will link up and give notifications from the Inreach Mini, I can confirm that as I've used it with success. I think I read that it only works with the Mini but I don't know that for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will link up and give notifications from the Inreach Mini, I can confirm that as I've used it with success. I think I read that it only works with the Mini but I don't know that for sure.

That’s correct. It only works with the Mini inReach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Just got one a month ago and really like it! I think There is some aim “widget” maybe it’s a bow sight function no clue what it is or how to use it

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
Just got an Instinct myself. It’s a fantastic piece of kit! I get notifications pushed through from my phone; can’t do anything with them except view. Once paired up with the Garmin Explorer and Garmin Connect it’s a pretty powerful navigation device.

I’ve downloaded the maps on my local area and with the Explorer app have created routes and they sync to the watch. You can start navigating and it will get you where you needed to go. Nice feature to be able to view you location and topo info on your smart phone at any time as your location is synced to you phone from your watch!

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Just got one for xmas and liking it so far. Really like connecting it to my Garmin Alpha for upland.

2020011014335469--1014856807313018956-IMG_0434-M.jpg
IMG_0433-M.jpg

Goose10

FNG
I picked one up when they went on sale for $200. The only other Garmin watches I’ve had are golf watches but the Instinct’s battery is really good compared to those. I really like the sun and moon rise and set pages. Barometer trend is also fun to check out. Have not bought the external temp sensor yet but that is next. The watch face I am looking forward to next fall is one with a compass and altimeter on the same screen.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Mine was $200 day after thanksgiving also but it seems they go on sale for about that price often with a bit of searching

S&S price is now $299 and they only have the yellow version.

See one on Amazon for $212. How do I know its the right version/model etc.?????

twall13

WKR
Can anyone confirm the Instinct has vibrating alarms? I am hearing impaired and have rely on my wrist watch to wake me up for work and hunting.
Yes, it has vibrating alarms if you set it that way in the settings. It's been a great watch for me. I'll admit I'm intrigued by the new solar version but I haven't gotten into the details to see if it's worth an upgrade yet. My original Instinct is still in great shape and functions well for how I use it.