Garmin Smartwatches vs Apple

TxLite

WKR
For those of you using a Garmin watch with an iPhone, how has it performed?

I am looking to upgrade my 4th gen Apple Watch and have been considering the Garmin Fenix or Epix but have hesitations about moving to the Garmin. Have you guys noticed any interface issues between iOS and Garmin or do they play well together?

One thing I like about the Apple Watch in general is how seamless it works with notifications/calendar events/etc, but the battery life of the Garmin and additional features have me interested.

Edit- ended up buying it. Posted my thoughts further down in this thread

Last edited:
Different purposes really. I have the 4G apple watch and Fenix 6X pro.

Outdoors, gps, health monitoring all go to Garmin, but the interface for phone notifications sucks. You can't reply, control music as easily, or really anything more than read a notification. Apple watch is great for keeping your phone in your pocket while you're out working or whatever. Garmin just alerts you to pull out your phone if needed.

Great responses so far. I’ll echo them. Garmin is a GPS watch that has some limited Bluetooth notifications. It won’t seamlessly integrate apps like you Apple Watch.

Do you want an extension of your iPhone or a GPS watch?

I have 7x solar and had 5 before this. My take:

Garmin watches are Outdoors purpose/performance/gps watch first with some smart watch features second

Apple Watch is a smart watch first and performance more distant second.

I wanted a watch (performance,tracking, gps, etc) so it was easy choices for me and I have zero regrets

Different purposes really. I have the 4G apple watch and Fenix 6X pro.

Outdoors, gps, health monitoring all go to Garmin, but the interface for phone notifications sucks. You can't reply, control music as easily, or really anything more than read a notification. Apple watch is great for keeping your phone in your pocket while you're out working or whatever. Garmin just alerts you to pull out your phone if needed.
This.

I would also say that garmin has a pretty substantial edge on battery life at this stage.

Garmin’s battery life is way better. I can control music through the Garmin but with limited function vs Apple. As far as notifications it lets me know about texts, phone calls, emails, etc. The idea of having to charge the Apple every other day or every few days to me is cumbersome.

tdhanses

WKR
I just charge my Apple Watch more often, I prefer it over the garmin I had for functionality. To me the battery life penalty is worth it. It charges so quick anyway.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
That’s for the replies all. My Apple Watch is on the fritz so I’m thinking Black Friday I may try and snag a replacement.

The increased battery life and increased performance for outdoors performance are the biggest draws to me.

Generally speaking I don’t reply on the watch so a vibrate notification is all that’s needed.

Does the watch itself perform pretty smoothly or is it clunky? Is the health tracking tied to the iOS health tracking or is it tracked solely through the garmin app?

I’m interested in this as well. My wife’s a teacher and the school district has a program that will reimburse you up to $1400 for sports related equipment. She wants to get me an Apple Watch but I’m leaning more towards a Garmin. Last year we got a Pelaton bike and a rowing machine.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
The Apple battery life was a deal breaker having to charge it daily. My wife stopped using hers as it kept dying on her if she forgot to charge it overnight. I like to track my sleep so charging overnight was another deal breaker.

I have the Fenix 6 and it’s been plenty for me. I can make it last 16-17 days on one charge if I don’t use the gps tracking and pulse ox much.

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
I love my garmin instinct solar. Works great and battery life is amazing. Can’t respond to messages like the Apple but most of the time I have my phone close enough anyway

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I love my garmin instinct solar. Works great and battery life is amazing. Can’t respond to messages like the Apple but most of the time I have my phone close enough anyway
Does it tie into the iPhone step/health tracking or do you have to use the garmin app?

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
Garmin for battery alone. Never looked back and thinking about a newer model. Even though my 4 year old fenix is still like new.

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
You can link the Garmin data from connect to apple health. For me the biggest question that I had to answer was did I want a smart watch or a sports watch.

I have a Garmin instinct solar. I have just used the Garmin Connect app on my phone (iPhone 7+) to track health data. I have had several times were I had to repair the watch to the app. Im not sure what the issue has been, but once I get it repaired it works fine. I do not use it to get alerts from my phone, the school program I am will not allow it.

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
Does it tie into the iPhone step/health tracking or do you have to use the garmin app?
You have to use the garmin app. I have the older instinct solar and I know they came out with a new one so maybe that’s changed I’m not sure. Everything you can see on the garmin app you can basically see on the watch. I almost never go on the app because I can do it from the watch

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I'm an outlier. I've used garmin products for years and they have their place but imo the SW, UI, maps, and connectors are antiquated. I've used them for years for cycling and bird hunting, but as far as a watch and GPS, I like the Apple watch and iPhone. The charging doesn't bother me, bc I already carry an external battery to charge my iPhone when backpack hunting. As far as charging the watch, it takes hardly any charge, and I charge it in the morning at home when I start work. When hunting, I charge it in the evening and morning when I'm doing other things like prepping food and eating.