Generac generators for the home?

How difficult is it to install a Generac generator for a home? Is it something an average Joe can do or does it require a rocket scientist? My wife and I have built our home from the dirt work to the ridge cap on the metal roof and everything in between.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I don't have one but 2 of my buddies and I installed them at their houses. Installation was not bad, but I'm pretty good with all things electrical. Only problem is they've both had issues with the generator itself. Maybe look at alternatives.

I installed a transfer switch and run the house off of a portable generator, a Yamaha 2400. A LOT cheaper than an automatic system with a generac.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
It takes a electrician and a plumber.
Other then those 2 items I did everything else myself.
Gas flow is a big deal when you are into the liquid cooled units and dealing with 500k btu.

Mine and my brothers work like champs.

*zap*

WKR
generac service shop told me they do not warranty lubricated parts. if your running the generator all day you need to check the oil every hour.....that was for my fairly new suitcase generator that had a cranckshaft or piston issue. the piston travel crushed the spark plug end and the piston is froze in that position.

I checked into a few years back. About 10k to get one wired and plumbed. Had an electrician wire in a manual transfer switch and bought a 9k wheeled genny unit. I pull it 10 feet out of my garage, fire it up and can have it operating in about 3 minutes. Have 1400 in it total. Gunny dies, I can buy another one down the road. No one could really tell me how long the fancy one would last. Plus I can use the wheeled unit for other applications as I see fit.

dubllung4

FNG
Costco has a 22KW Honeywell that is the same as a Generac (everything under the cover says Generac). They usually have them on sale for $4700.00

My dad has put quite a few of these in on the side and every one has been great.

Tod osier

WKR
How difficult is it to install a Generac generator for a home? Is it something an average Joe can do or does it require a rocket scientist? My wife and I have built our home from the dirt work to the ridge cap on the metal roof and everything in between.

The only concern I'd have is where is the transfer switch going. If you need to have the the service shut off to wire it that is the only issue I'd think you would have. When you built, I'd assume that you had an electrician and provider at least get you hooked up to the grid.

My brother has one of the Generacs & it works great but it's not necessary to spend that much to get the same result.
I bought the DuroMax XP12000EH dual fuel from Amazon ($1,100-ish) & it runs everything in my house. It has 30A & 50A plugs so you could use for a motorhome if needed. Dual fuel is great because you can store propane a long time without degrading like gas / diesel.
Since it's portable I also use it on jobsites & was able to write it off as a business expense.

I wouldn't risk not using an electrician to ensure everything is done to code. If something were to happen (injury or house burn down) your insurance probably wouldn't cover it. Also if you were to sell your house later that could be an issue in the home inspection.

There's a Generator Interlock Kit you'll need to meet code also. It ensures only 1 of the power sources can be on at a time (either the generator or the service feed) (www.interlockkit.com)

Third thing you need is a generator cord / power inlet box. This is the one I used:

So far, everything works great & I'm really happy with the results. Glad to have that finally marked off the list.

Fullfan

WKR
Do not have a Generac, have a Kohler 20kw. the install is pretty straight forward if you know your way around electric. One thing to remember, my Kohler came w a 7-year warrantee and to get that, I had to have a Kohler tech do the install. Which cost me 1100.00. Have had it just under 2 years, every time we lose power I just smile and think money well spent.

My wife and I have built our home from the dirt work to the ridge cap on the metal roof and everything in between.
Assuming that included all the electrical work, you should be capable of also wiring in a generator. There's nothing categorically different about wiring in a generator vs. wiring the rest of your home. Use the correct size/type of wire and connect like-to-like as shown on the wiring diagram. You'll have 3 cable bundles entering/exiting the transfer switch...1 entering from the electric meter, 1 entering from the generator, and 1 exiting to feed your home's breaker panel. For a 240V split-phase system (standard for homes in the US), each cable bundle will have 3 conductor wires (black = 120V hot, red or another black = 120V hot, white = neutral) + 1 ground wire (green or bare). If it's an automatic transfer switch, you may need an additional conductor to carry the automatic start signal from the switch to the generator. As with any electrical task, shut off the incoming power and confirm it's cold before you start working.

Running propane/natural gas (assuming that's your chosen fuel) to a generator is the same as any other gaseous fuel plumbing...if you've done it before you should be able to do it for a generator.

Last edited:

Ralphie

WKR
I can't help you with the install but I have a 22kw generac that works great. The only problem is our power is too reliable. :p Mine is on propane. No NG anywhere near me.

Like a few have mentioned... They aren't magical, if you wired the house and plumbed the rest of the gas, you're plenty capable.

I have a portable generator and hookup, it's cheaper. But not automatic.

Something happens during a spring or summer storm while we're gone and 3 freezers of meat will be going bad.

If I find a deal on an automatic one, we're still getting it.

Scoot

WKR
I have a portable generator and hookup, it's cheaper. But not automatic.

Something happens during a spring or summer storm while we're gone and 3 freezers of meat will be going bad.
This is the big deal IMO. We lose power a lot at my place and knowing the sump pump and freezers will keep working, even if I'm not home, is a big deal to me.

CorbLand

WKR
Random question but is related.

Do some of you all have unreliable grids? Most people here just have portables to run freezers and fridges if needed but if the power goes out, its rarely more than a couple hours before its back on. The longest we ever went without power was 2 days back in the late 90s due to a bad wind storm and wildfire. Is it common in areas for long outages?

Do some of you all have unreliable grids? Most people here just have portables to run freezers and fridges if needed but if the power goes out, its rarely more than a couple hours before its back on. The longest we ever went without power was 2 days back in the late 90s due to a bad wind storm and wildfire. Is it common in areas for long outages?
It's not common in the places I've lived, but I have experienced week long power outages twice. Both were caused by ice storms (2007 in Missouri, 2020 in Oklahoma). The power fortunately stayed on at my place throughout the big freeze in February 2021 ("winter storm Uri"), but many around me were out for an extended period.

Folks have varying levels of vulnerability to power outages. For those without combustion-based heating, no power also means no heat. For those on a private well, no power also means no water. For those with a sump pump, no power can pretty quickly lead to a flooded basement.

KurtR

WKR

Lost it for a day earlier this winter but it wasnt that cold only 30 or so out. A few years ago lost it for 3 days and it was bellow 0 that was fun but out propane furnace will run on batteries no water or any thing though since we are on a well. Know people out here who have been with out power for over a month during bad blizzards. We run off propane so i want to get a generator installed that is automatic.

I live in a storm prone area. It's not common to lose power.

But if we do, it can be several days before it comes back.

My dad has been without for 2 weeks before.