Generac generators for the home?

SWOHTR

WKR
homeowners have been known to hastily connect their generators in unsafe ways (i.e., without using a transfer switch).
This is the part I was misunderstanding, thanks!

And yes I’m plenty familiar. Our shipboard systems are often powered by multiple sources (primary, alternate, and even casualty) and use either automatic or manual bus transfer switches.

Fullfan

WKR
Random question but is related.

Do some of you all have unreliable grids? Most people here just have portables to run freezers and fridges if needed but if the power goes out, its rarely more than a couple hours before its back on. The longest we ever went without power was 2 days back in the late 90s due to a bad wind storm and wildfire. Is it common in areas for long outages?
We are the last residence on the line. Had to buy 5 poles to get the power to where I built. We lose power 9-10 times a year. Longest being without power was 3 days.

OP
weekender7
Random question but is related.

Do some of you all have unreliable grids? Most people here just have portables to run freezers and fridges if needed but if the power goes out, its rarely more than a couple hours before its back on. The longest we ever went without power was 2 days back in the late 90s due to a bad wind storm and wildfire. Is it common in areas for long outages?
Our power has been out for 6 straight days after a hurricane. Not uncommon for it to be out 24 hours. We are seniors already and not getting any younger lol. I don't want to be without AC or heat very long. If we lost our 3 freezers it would be a big blow. We process all our own meat.

I have a 22KW Generac on my house.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have spent the extra money on a liquid cooled Onan instead of the air cooled Generac. The Generac is basically a V-Twin air cooled engine like you’ll find on a riding lawnmower. They run at or above 3000 rpm to keep themselves cool.

The liquid cooled Onan units use a Honda 1.5L (I think) car engine and run at 1800 rpm. A 29kw Onan has roughly the same propane consumption rate as a 22KW air cooled unit like the Generac.

The air cooled units are not designed to sustain power for an extended period of time like many folks needed in 2021.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mntnguide

WKR
Ah, I took your comment of "coming from a lineman" to mean you were a lineman. Sorry! The comment simply means that, upon power disconnect, the servicing individual then tests to ensure there is no power going to the equipment.
I am a lineman. And yes, when we would turn power off for an electrician to install generators, we would check the transfer switch if we could when we came back to re-energize after they got proper inspections done. But during an outage, especially in certain areas of the country, consumers will just plug in a Honda type generator, and have no clue they are supposed to flip their main breaker off...and that is how lineman can die with backfeed on the system

I had Generac come out and give me a quote. He explained with diagrams what all they needed to run with conduits and tie in with the gas meter and my electrical panel. All stuff I could handle, but he did say I would need a larger meter, so keep that in mind if you have natural gas. The quote for the unit, a pre-poured slab and the hook up was 12k. I passed. I’m going to have a sparkie install a transfer switch and use my generator to run my HVAC in case of bad weather and if it has the capacity my freezers as well or I can bounce back and forth. The only downside is if you’re not home it’s not automatic. So frozen pipes or lost meat in the fridge/freezer if you’re gone. Where the generac is automatic.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I have a 22KW Generac on my house.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have spent the extra money on a liquid cooled Onan instead of the air cooled Generac. The Generac is basically a V-Twin air cooled engine like you’ll find on a riding lawnmower. They run at or above 3000 rpm to keep themselves cool.

The liquid cooled Onan units use a Honda 1.5L (I think) car engine and run at 1800 rpm. A 29kw Onan has roughly the same propane consumption rate as a 22KW air cooled unit like the Generac.

The air cooled units are not designed to sustain power for an extended period of time like many folks needed in 2021.

My brother and I both have the Generac Protector liquid cooled series. I have a 30k and he has a 25k. They both have 1.5L straight 4 engines made by mitsubishi. We have both been happy. I have had mine going on 3 years and he is going on 2. The price is double though. It was about 18k per install. With generac price increase I would expect 20k today.

My brother and I both have the Generac Protector liquid cooled series. I have a 30k and he has a 25k. They both have 1.5L straight 4 engines made by mitsubishi. We have both been happy. I have had mine going on 3 years and he is going on 2. The price is double though. It was about 18k per install. With generac price increase I would expect 20k today.

My wife and I GC’d our own home build and I’m an electrician by trade.

I could buy the 29kw Onan with whole house transfer switch for right at $10k and of course I could install it myself like I did the Generac. My Generac was $5200.

Weldor

WKR
Our power goes out all the time here in AZ. my problem is the load the house requires. 5 ton heat pump draws lots of juice. When it's 110 degrees outside and no air for a couple of hours or days. And our small water company has no generators on their pumps, so no water either. We did a whole house amp draw with the power company it was about 80 amps with most everything running. (which would be unusual). even so 25kw-30kw is expensive . I'm going to split the load and do 2 gen's it's cheaper and I can control what their running. The Ac and freezers are priority. I already have a MQ 10 kw on my welder that I can put a auto start and switch gear plug on. The other gen is a 12kw Yamaha puts out 9kw constant will do the same with that on. Way cheaper the a 30k gen. set up .

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
One of the things people seem to overlook is fuel consumption. I have a standby unit, but it’s only a 12kw. It has no trouble running my 3.5 ton ac with fridge, electric stove, etc. I can assure you my wife’s electricity consumption does not decrease when our power is out and the generator is running lol. With 2 100gallon tanks full of propane, I can get about a week without it shutting off.

Fuel consumption goes way up with bigger units, and we all know getting propane during a big weather event would be very difficult.

Something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
Our power goes out all the time here in AZ. my problem is the load the house requires. 5 ton heat pump draws lots of juice. When it's 110 degrees outside and no air for a couple of hours or days. And our small water company has no generators on their pumps, so no water either. We did a whole house amp draw with the power company it was about 80 amps with most everything running. (which would be unusual). even so 25kw-30kw is expensive . I'm going to split the load and do 2 gen's it's cheaper and I can control what their running. The Ac and freezers are priority. I already have a MQ 10 kw on my welder that I can put an auto start and switch gear plug on. The other gen is a 12kw Yamaha puts out 9kw constant will do the same with that on. Way cheaper the a 30k gen. set up .
You’re gonna run 2 in parallel or have a split bus?

I'd recommend Briggs & Stratton over Generac for standby generator for your entire house. Size accordingly so all you have to install is the transfer switch out at power pole. If you size your generator so it can run your entire house it is a very easy installation but if you size it a little smaller, you'll have to install the load shedding modules in your home which will be more complicated and would probably need an electrician.
Briggs has the best warranty at full 6 year for parts & labor and their commercial grade vanguard engines will last you a lifetime in your generator unless your power grid is very unreliable. We have installed a pile of these units (100+) in the last 5-6 years, and they have been great, unfortunately can't say the same for the generacs on our system.
What size Briggs are you seeing the most of? My parents need one for their house they are build in Southern Missouri. Do these unit run wide open or do they idle down when your not using all the electricity. Asking because that's what my Honda generator will do.

My buddy at the lake had a Generac and it runs wide open using a lot of propane per day.

I guess I am the odd man out. I have a Cummings. They are local, built in Georgia, I believe. Price installed for a 20K unit, connected to run off natural gas was less than 10k, and has a 10 year extended warranty. My Salesman/service guy lives 10 minutes away. Peace of mind for sure if/when we ever get a power outage from another Katrina/Ida etc.

Gen273

WKR
I don't have one but 2 of my buddies and I installed them at their houses. Installation was not bad, but I'm pretty good with all things electrical. Only problem is they've both had issues with the generator itself. Maybe look at alternatives.

I installed a transfer switch and run the house off of a portable generator, a Yamaha 2400. A LOT cheaper than an automatic system with a generac.
Can you tell me more about the transfer switch and what all is involved with the installation? If I understand your post above, with a transfer switch, you can run the house off a standard generator. If so in your opinion what size generator would an average size house need to operate?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
My switch is an EmerGen, 6 pole, which means it will power 6 circuits. I know that sounds weak, but if you choose your circuits carefully, you can run the most critical ones. We get along just fine when we lose power as we can run both our fridges, all of our freezers, the TV, wood stove fan and lights where we need them most. It's just my wife and I so the 2400 does just fine for us. Now understand, with a bigger house (ours is 2400 SF) kids, you might want to go bigger on the generator and an 8 or even 12 pole switch. Also, we specifically do not run high power items like the microwave and obviously we do not try to power the hot tub. It's all about balancing your power usage. If I recall, I have about $1500 into the switch and generator. Like said earlier, an auto system may run you $10K or better if installed by an electrician.

The install was very simple. The switch wires tie into your individual breakers. I will also add that where we live (Western WA), we rarely lose power in the summer and we mostly don't need A/C either

Last edited:

Gen273

WKR
My switch is an EmerGen, 6 pole, which means it will power 6 circuits. I know that sounds weak, but if you choose your circuits carefully, you can run the most critical ones. We get along just fine when we lose power as we can run both our fridges, all of our freezers, the TV, wood stove fan and lights where we need them most. It's just my wife and I so the 2400 does just fine for us. Now understand, with a bigger house (ours is 2400 SF) kids, you might want to go bigger on the generator and an 8 or even 12 pole switch. Also, we specifically do not run high power items like the microwave and obviously we do not try to power the hot tub. It's all about balancing your power usage. If I recall, I have about $1500 into the switch and generator. Like said earlier, an auto system may run you $10K or better if installed by an electrician.
Thank you for the helpful information!! Have a great day!

Can you tell me more about the transfer switch and what all is involved with the installation? If I understand your post above, with a transfer switch, you can run the house off a standard generator. If so in your opinion what size generator would an average size house need to operate?
A transfer switch simply switches your house between operating on "grid power" from your utility company and operating on power from your generator. A transfer switch is necessary for safe use of a generator (prevents backfeeding generator power into the grid), but it has no effect on what size generator you need. The aforementioned 2400 watt Yamaha would be fine for lights and small appliances (fridge/freezer, microwave), but a generator in that size range lacks the wattage and voltage to run large electric devices like a central HVAC unit, water well pump, water heater, stove/oven, etc. What size generator you need depends entirely on what electric devices you want to be able to run during a power outage. The transfer switch is just an ancillary piece of equipment that allows you to utilize your generator safely (and automatically if you choose an automatic switch with an auto-start generator).

Last edited:

Gen273

WKR
A transfer switch simply switches your house between operating on "grid power" from your utility company and operating on power from your generator. A transfer switch is necessary for safe use of a generator (prevents backfeeding generator power into the grid), but it has no effect on what size generator you need. The aforementioned 2400 watt Yamaha would be fine for lights and small appliances (fridge/freezer, microwave), but a generator in that size range lacks the wattage and voltage to run large devices like a central HVAC unit, water well pump, electric stove/oven, etc. What size generator you need depends entirely on what devices you want to be able to run during a power outage.
Thank you for the helpful information! Have a great day!!