Generac generators for the home?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Also, all of our large appliances run on propane, so they use very little power versus electric. Our water heater runs, we can use our stove/cooktop, even our furnace if need be. We generally do not as the woodstove can heat the entire house.

mi650

WKR
How difficult is it to install a Generac generator for a home? Is it something an average Joe can do or does it require a rocket scientist? My wife and I have built our home from the dirt work to the ridge cap on the metal roof and everything in between.
We built our house in 2003-2004, with help from family. Hired out the well, septic, and foundation. I did probably 90% of the electric. I despise plumbing, my FiL did most of that.

In 2014, we had an addition put on. Hired all of it out, including a 16kw Generac. I wasn't going to try that. Cost was $6600 installed. It's been worth its weight in gold. We're in a pretty rural area and at the very end of the line. We lose power fairly often, it kicks on in 10 seconds and we're back in business. I change the oil every year, use Mobil 1, and the spark plug every other year. It needed a new battery, I think 3 years ago.

We've lived off it up to a week 5 times, it runs our whole house. Furnace or A/C, Jacuzzi, everything. I did learn the hard way that it has a low oil shutdown the 1st time it ran for an extended period. As soon as I put oil in, it fired back up. So live & learn, I check it daily when in use.

Considering how many times it's saved our freezers, plus the convenience, it's the best $6600 I've ever spent.

Janesy

FNG
I have a generic to install in my new house build. We have 2 large Honeywell units at work. 22KW that work perfectly. Only downside is that the 200W transfer switches, one has worked great and the other has been down a few times, one requiring a new control board under warranty. They are General transfer switches I believe

We have a whole home Generac. We live in a big city, so there were permits that had to get pulled, lots of code considerations, coordinating with the power company, gas company, etc. So far, it has been a very dependable generator for us, but we live in a mild climate, so it hasn't had its "super bowl" moment yet.

Weldor

WKR
After getting together with my sparky and ac guy looks like its cheaper to put in 2 mini splits for power outages than buying a 25 kw to run that 5 ton.

Last edited:

Mechanicsburg

Lil-Rokslider
Good info, fixing to install myself, when we built the house I put in a 200 amp transfer switch for future. I think it’s time the way the world is getting

My brother has one of the Generacs & it works great but it's not necessary to spend that much to get the same result.
I bought the DuroMax XP12000EH dual fuel from Amazon ($1,100-ish) & it runs everything in my house. It has 30A & 50A plugs so you could use for a motorhome if needed. Dual fuel is great because you can store propane a long time without degrading like gas / diesel.
Since it's portable I also use it on jobsites & was able to write it off as a business expense.

I wouldn't risk not using an electrician to ensure everything is done to code. If something were to happen (injury or house burn down) your insurance probably wouldn't cover it. Also if you were to sell your house later that could be an issue in the home inspection.

There's a Generator Interlock Kit you'll need to meet code also. It ensures only 1 of the power sources can be on at a time (either the generator or the service feed) (www.interlockkit.com)

Third thing you need is a generator cord / power inlet box. This is the one I used:

So far, everything works great & I'm really happy with the results. Glad to have that finally marked off the list.
This the way I went. Generac is grossly overpriced IMO. My meter panel is 300’ from the house, so I put up one of those small plastic “sheds” to house it. There are plenty of videos that go through the entire process…it’s by no means difficult. I opted to go the interlock route over transfer switch so that EVERYTHING has power. I’ve probably put a couple hundred hours on the Duromax generator in the 3 years since I set it up. It’s been great so far…turn the key and it fires right up. My wife can and has put it into service if I’m not home. I’ve never put gasoline in it…propane is much better from a maintenance standpoint.
I think I’m all in for about $2500.

OP
weekender7
After getting together with my sparky and ac guy looks like its cheaper to put in 2 mini splits for power outages than buying a 25 kw to run that 5 ton.
We went with mini splits, 2 outside units with 4 inside boxes on one and 2 inside boxes on the other. Both the outside boxes only require 25 amp breakers so no big drain there. We have only used them for temporary heat so far but they really worked well heating our 3000 sq ft house. Power bill has been $3 to $4 a day. Just got our primary radiant slab heat going for the first time this weekend. I think we will really like it. We are using a tankless water heater on propane for it. No NG where we are.

What size Briggs are you seeing the most of? My parents need one for their house they are build in Southern Missouri. Do these unit run wide open or do they idle down when your not using all the electricity. Asking because that's what my Honda generator will do.

My buddy at the lake had a Generac and it runs wide open using a lot of propane per day.
Majority were 20KW units but they don't make them anymore. Now most common are 18 or 22 kw.

What size Generac was it for $5200 and what size service are you backing up?

It is a 22kw propane unit with a 200amp transfer switch.

22kw will provide 91amps @ 240V.

I have all of my generator backed up circuits on a separate panel fed via the ATS.

The utility side of my ATS is fed from a 100 amp breaker from my normal house panel. The generator side is fed from the generator (obviously). I sized the wire between 100a breaker and ATS so I could upsize the breaker to 150a if I decided to put in a larger generator in the future and add more loads to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro