Get into shape without the gym

SWOHTR

WKR
If you want to be outside and not in a gym, I found a mountain bike to be the most enjoyable. Get a good entry level hard tail, no need for a full suspension carbon bike - you won’t be doing downhill enough to warrant one. Followed by trail running or walking.

Other than that my recommendations are (in order of precedence):
1. S-2 squat stand/pull-up bar from rogue.
2. Flat utility bench (rogue).
3. 230lb bumper set and bar (rogue).
4. A few horse stall mats (farm store).
5. “Starting strength” - Mark Rippetoe
6. “5/3/1 Forever” - Jim Wendler

Look on craigslist!

Don’t know where you’re at, but we farmers always need help this time of year and I’ve heard a shovel never hurt anyone. My back might argue that though.

I second that one. Nothing like a grain shovel in the bins to really get some exercise in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Boy

WKR
Burpees. Discipline. Hiking. All you need to be in incredible mtn shape. Throw in body weight and sand bag exercises if you need more variety. You might not be the most cut up guy on the mtn but if your goal is to hump 60 lbs through the mtns all day for days on end it flat works. I hate the gym as well and my routine allows me to live in the mtns all summer long.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
Did my workout outside today because I didn't feel like driving to the gym after a day on the boat. All that was required was a pair of 40lb dumbbells.

-Mile run
-3x the following:
Push ups (30, 40, 30)
Sit ups (30, 40, 30)
80lb Thrusters (5, 7, 6)
80lb Lunges (20m, 30m, 25m)

A grand time. Much better workout than many I've done in fitness facilities.

I've had a few times in my life when I didn't have access to a gym or weights or couldn't stand to spend an extra minute in a gym.
I trained with stones. It definitely worked at helping me to continue making gains and improving my physique.

Well today I moved about 15 yards of dirt in the 90 something Tennessee heat. Felt like a good core workout but I wouldn't recommend doing it on the reg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
M
Don’t know where you’re at, but we farmers always need help this time of year and I’ve heard a shovel never hurt anyone. My back might argue that though.

I’ve been throwing a few bales around this summer!

*zap*

WKR
Access to a good gym is going to maker achieving higher end fitness goals easier but patience, commitment and a good plan is more important. I luckily have an 1/8 mile indoor, climate controlled and padded track 10 minutes away at a city gym. The private gym I am a member of has all the usual plus an indoor salt water pool for laps..lots of good stuff. For me gym time is enjoyable and mentally unloading.

Jon Boy

WKR
Lol Lost me at the title of that one. jesus the shit that is on the internet and people take as gospel. To say burpees are pointless is 'idiotic'

Poser

WKR
Lol Lost me at the title of that one. jesus the shit that is on the internet and people take as gospel. To say burpees are pointless is 'idiotic'

Much like the jump rope thread, burpees burn some calories if you’re trying to lose some weight, but there are other, likely better ways to accomplish that ends. They jack you’re heart rate up if you just want to feel like you did something physical, but conditioning is sport specific, so unless you’re doing burpees up and down the mountain, they don’t really benefit mountain hunting in an real meaningful way. You’re likely not doing a “clean” push-up and people’s form (neutral spine, elbows that aren’t flared etc) seems to inherently breakdown the more burpees they do which compromises the effect of stressing your core as well as your shoulders. If you do then with purist form, you probably won’t get anaerobic. In short, Burpees try to accomplish several different things at once and do none of them very well. The only real thing they have in their corner is the”but they’re hard!” Claim. Being hard doesn’t necessarily mean that they are effective. If you like doing them, knock yourself out. I’d definitely pass the time with burpees if I were in prison, but on the scale of effective training, unless you’re a competitive Crossfitter who has to compete with burpees, or they are on your PT exam for your military/LE job, Coach Chris is correct: no real point besides being better than nothing.

What does everyone do to get into hunting shape without the gym? I personally absolutely hate going to the gym, so I’m looking for alternatives to get into better shape for packing meat out and hiking at higher elevations

Bleachers at the HS stadium. Run them. Lots of them. Cardio and leg day all in one. I've found nothing better for the mountains - at least around here.

*zap*

WKR
If you want to burn your legs in the heat find some deep water, put on dive fins, a pack with some weight and get in and tread water for a while. Works the hips good also.

Randle

WKR
What about "mountain climbers", a tire drag with a waist belt works my leg pretty well and knocks the weeds down on our trails around the property. Splitting firewood at a heart working rate yet safely. Deadfalls to high step over while wearing a pack all right on my 5 acres.

if you live in a place where it's convenient, backcountry skiing has got to be the single best training for mountain hunting that's out there. A good day of ski touring involves at least 5-8k of vertical ascent and you're doing it with 5-8lbs of weight on each foot pushing it though snow plus you're wearing a backpack. even better is all the time you spend learning how to safely travel in big mountain terrain. do that at least a few times per week for 5-6 months. if you're fortunate enough to be able to put in 100+ days of backcountry skiing per year sheep and goat hunting feels pretty casual. multi-day ski tours/traverses also give the opportunity to test shelters and gear and are super fun as well.

in the summer mountain biking, pack rafting and whitewater kayaking seem like a good balance of upper/lower body workout. some friend also stay in shape by doing big paraglider days in the mountains. most of the people I know who ski tour and do the other stuff above throughout the year find sheep and goat hunting pretty easy when that time of year rolls around. for those with that kind of experience I'd argue that the only hard part of killing a sheep with a rifle is finding a legal one. the rest is pretty straight forward. the best part of all of the above stuff is that it's really fun and it maximizes your time in the mountains... so much better than anything involving a gym and way more fun than hiking.

dariian

FNG

I worked on a farm as a teenager and whenever the owner would see a jogger on the road he'd always say "I don't know why their trying to get healthy breathing all these car fumes and running for no reason, they should just buy a farm"

I'm sure you're more knowledgeable about training than one of the top strength coaches in the world.
You probably already know about the SAID Principle. Just for the education of those who may be interested SAID stands for Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand. What that means is the body specifically adapts to the demands placed upon it. Essentially there's no such thing as general fitness.
Poser already thoroughly explained the rest.

TC406

FNG
some friend also stay in shape by doing big paraglider days in the mountains

There's a guy around here that shot a goat way up on top of a mountain (8 miles in) and strapped it up and paraglided back to his truck. Now THATS the way to do it.

As far as getting into mountain shape, hike hills if you've got 'em. Stadium stairs if not. Start with no or low weight and build it up. HIIT training with any number of exercises. Kettlebells are fun. You're only limited by your imagination.