Getting my kids started in Archery

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I took my 9yr old to shoot last night and she had a lot of fun. I signed her up for the upcoming 4-H archery shooting season and I need to help her get started. Im pretty much a novice myself in archery and I don’t know anything about coaching a kid. I also need to get her a release and I don’t know what to look for there. I was going to let her use mine but maybe she needs a youth size release? Anybody been through teaching their kids to shoot that could lend a hand and maybe an out grown release they wold sell?
Thanks
Tim

ZDR

WKR
Hey Tim,
I'm an archery coach at a local school and I'd recommend passing on the release and teaching her to shoot with fingers first and then transition to a release later. Unless the bow she is using just doesnt work for finger shooting, a release is another complication the kids have to learn. We use the Genesis bows at school and some of my students can shoot lights out up to ~30 yards or so with no sight etc. Some of the kids also have PSE mini-burners or similar bows, some shoot them with fingers, some with a release but the release is not a defining factor. Anyway, not what you asked, but just an opinion formed after doing the coaching gig for a while.
z

• Banned
OP
Timnterra

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Tim,
I'm an archery coach at a local school and I'd recommend passing on the release and teaching her to shoot with fingers first and then transition to a release later. Unless the bow she is using just doesnt work for finger shooting, a release is another complication the kids have to learn. We use the Genesis bows at school and some of my students can shoot lights out up to ~30 yards or so with no sight etc. Some of the kids also have PSE mini-burners or similar bows, some shoot them with fingers, some with a release but the release is not a defining factor. Anyway, not what you asked, but just an opinion formed after doing the coaching gig for a while.
z
Thanks Z
The bow I got her is a diamond infinity edge it came with a sight and release loop already installed. She has been shooting in our backyard with a bear brave kids bow for a year or so. It has no sights and she has been finger shooting it. It was a little awkward for her looking through the peep and using sights for the first time last night but she got better with each shot. When do you think it’s appropriate to introduce a release?

Rob5589

WKR
Personally I don't see a downside to using a release straightaway. One of mine did with a compound, another is using fingers with a recurve.

On the compound we went sightless for a while until she had a somewhat repeatable form. Then a sight and later a peep. When they're that young I find it easier to introduce small changes one at a time.

My little dude on the recurve just wings em instinctively, I guess. He actually has a good eye for it so far.

Felix40

WKR
Definitely get a youth release if you get one. My 6 year old just has a cheap trufire that works great for him. I started him with a longbow and fingers but after the first 3D shoot he got really into scoring his shots and wanting to be more accurate. I got him a bear compound with a 3 pin sight and he can pretty much hit anything he wants out to 20 yards now.

ZDR

WKR
Thanks Z
The bow I got her is a diamond infinity edge it came with a sight and release loop already installed. She has been shooting in our backyard with a bear brave kids bow for a year or so. It has no sights and she has been finger shooting it. It was a little awkward for her looking through the peep and using sights for the first time last night but she got better with each shot. When do you think it’s appropriate to introduce a release?
When you think she has the basic foundation of shooting down (stance, grip, draw, anchor, release and follow thru) then bring in the release. It doesnt mean you cannot start with one, just the foundation is key to shooting well and having fun.

BowTrout

FNG
I took my 9yr old to shoot last night and she had a lot of fun. I signed her up for the upcoming 4-H archery shooting season and I need to help her get started. Im pretty much a novice myself in archery and I don’t know anything about coaching a kid. I also need to get her a release and I don’t know what to look for there. I was going to let her use mine but maybe she needs a youth size release? Anybody been through teaching their kids to shoot that could lend a hand and maybe an out grown release they wold sell?
Thanks
Tim
I personally wouldn't see a problem with a release however a peep sight can be a different story. It took one of my daughters a while to understand the concept of looking through the peep and centering the housing and pin. One daughter shot the truball champ thumb release and it worked ok. There is not much adjustment though. My other daughter started with a truball sweet spot and is now using an old 2 finger hinge. One has stuck with the compound while the other daughter changed to recurve shooting. There is something to be said for recurve shooting and seeing how much the kid enjoys shooting and its definitely the cheaper option of the two shooting styles.