Gift idea for outdoorsman taking me on my first elk hunt!

It’s a pretty long story, but my cousin’s husband is a wildlife filmmaker and avid outdoorsman. He is taking myself and my father in law on our first elk hunt in Montana this year.

I’d like to get him something as a “thank you,” but am unsure on what!

My best idea is a new high quality knife, as I know he is wanting something new. My cousin told me he had asked for a Kabar BK-2, however I’m thinking something a bit nicer?

Something that can double as a hunting knife, and or survival/bushcraft ideally. He travels to remote places all over the world, so something he can actually use is the direction I’d like to lean!

I worked and ran a business in the knife industry for a few years, but this is not the territory I am super familiar with. Hoping to find some ideas here! TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
There are probably a dozen similar posts on here, but here’s a recent one. Lots of good posts with custom knife makers and people’s favorite models:

Fixed Blade Knife for backcountry hunts

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
If he is like me, and probably most hunters, he might already have too many knives. I take people every year and as a token of appreciation they sometimes give me certain things. I'd go hunting with him and see what you could upgrade for him after the trip.

I am certain that when you hunt with him you'll learn that he needs something, and he will really appriciate receiving it a week or two after the hunt. Just a thought

Last edited:

NB7

WKR
What's your budget? A gift certificate in the range of 250-400 towards high end boots of his choice would probably be much appreciated

I would also wait until after the hunt and see if you can pick up on what he could use. Maybe ask some leading questions on the hunt to figure it out. Maybe you will hear him say he could use new boots or something. When you see him using a piece of gear ask if that is the one he would recommend or if he is happy with it. Maybe he will tell you it works but he would really like a different model. People like what they like and while the gesture is appreciated it sucks to get an otherwise nice gift that you know you wont use.

wytx

WKR
If a knife and you are a member of RMEF get him a Montana Knife Company blade.

Gift certificate is nice too, he can get what he wants that way. Maybe for boots like stated above.

6.5x284

WKR
MKC Blackfoot 2.0 or another MT knife company. I like purchasing state specific items to remember hunts in specific places.

But like mentioned above, come in shape with a tough mental attitude and ready to help and learn! Enjoy the hunt!

My best idea is a new high quality knife, as I know he is wanting something new. My cousin told me he had asked for a Kabar BK-2, however I’m thinking something a bit nicer?

I also echo others in waiting until after the hunt to feel him out and see what he really needs and do or buy that for him.

If you know for sure that he is wanting a new knife and that he has mentioned it a few times, go with the knife he asked for or something very very similar.

If he asked for that knife specifically he has a reason for wanting that K-Bar.
If he's wanting a hunting/bushcraft knife, the Benchmade Bushcrafter is a very nice knife and very similar to that model K-Bar but on the higher-end of materials and such.

A bottle of nice bourbon is always a nice gesture as well and could be the arrival gift then follow up with what you find out from the hunt and some time together.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m with the “show up in shape and with a good attitude crowd”. Since it’s your first elk hunt don’t act like you know it all, instead ask questions, listen to his advice. At some point it’s going to get tough, you’ll be tired, wet, hungry, not seeing any elk, etc. if you can stay upbeat when this happens and keep hunting it will go a long way towards getting another invite.

OP
allstajacket
I’m with the “show up in shape and with a good attitude crowd”. Since it’s your first elk hunt don’t act like you know it all, instead ask questions, listen to his advice. At some point it’s going to get tough, you’ll be tired, wet, hungry, not seeing any elk, etc. if you can stay upbeat when this happens and keep hunting it will go a long way towards getting another invite.

Thanks, I’m typically the upbeat “bright-side” guy that’s always happy to be out hunting. Very humble, and not afraid to ask questions. Sometimes I feel like I’m asking too many lol.

But I’d like to thank him just for his efforts to help us prep, and for the hunt, no matter the outcome.

I typically deer hunt in northern MI, and also waterfowl hunt. Plenty of times in the duck blind without seeing or shooting any birds. Still fun! Walking/wading in, setup, tear down, etc can be exhausting for sure.

OP
allstajacket
He wants the Kabar, get him the Kabar.

As someone who built a retail knife business (not owned unfortunately, -and have since moved on..) I’d much rather get him something custom or semi-custom; or at least on the higher end of production. Something special.

I agree a nice knife is a very good option. Depending on your budget, you could also consider a Benchmade for a production knife. They are outstanding in my opinion.