Gillette WY to start building nuclear power plants

go_deep

WKR
If you're against nuclear, do some reading on how many square miles of solar or wind turbines it takes to replace one nuclear reactor.
Then do a deeper dive into how many trillion of tons of waste and non recyclable material is created to replace just that one nuclear reactor.
Then really piss yourself off and look at how much energy it takes to make all those solar panels or wind turbines verse the lifetime return of energy. The entire true cost of energy used to create a solar panel or wind turbine.

The development of solar and wind turbine technology is needed, but to what extent and cost until it can advance to a point it's viable?

TX_Diver

WKR
iirc the nuclear regulatory commission denied the reactor application (like they always do because they hate nuclear for some reason) and they were forced to build the pilot plant abroad (china maybe?)
Where did you hear that?

Terrapower only submitted a construction permit within the last month or so I think?

iirc the nuclear regulatory commission denied the reactor application (like they always do because they hate nuclear for some reason) and they were forced to build the pilot plant abroad (china maybe?)

I wondered about the nrc the linked article at the top made 0 mention of the nrc was on board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you hear that?

Terrapower only submitted a construction permit within the last month or so I think?

It looks like it's just Gates saying the US is too restrictive. I assume he was talking about the NRC since they are notoriously against new technology/plants. They also said the Terrapower permit needs work: https://www.reuters.com/business/en...ys-planned-application-needs-work-2024-03-22/ . I remember reading in wired that the NRC basically charges companies to review applications, makes the process take years, and then denies them.

Last edited:

ckleeves

WKR
Like its been said above, nuclear is pretty clean and the safety issues are pretty low.
Biggest issue will be the budget overruns that ultimately the citizens pay for. VC Summers in SC and Vogtle units 3 and 4 in GA.
The great VC Summers debacle! I got to see that disaster firsthand. I think that was the largest gathering of incompetence in US history outside of maybe a Congress session.

Loo.wii

WKR
I'll just put this here:
Fukushima, Three Mile Island, and Chernobyl familiar to anybody?

They plan to use the reactors to power coal/methane facilities around the state.
that's a smooth brain take. I would be willing to bet money that more people have died as a result of traditional energy sources than have died of nuclear anything. I would also like to add that per unit of waste nuclear energy is much more efficient than burning anything.

that's a smooth brain take. I would be willing to bet money that more people have died as a result of traditional energy sources than have died of nuclear anything. I would also like to add that per unit of waste nuclear energy is much more efficient than burning anything.
You don't have to bet, it is true.