Glock 20 modifications for backcountry carry

mcseal2

WKR
After shooting the G20 10mm today I'm considering getting one. Seeing how popular they are here I figured this might be a good spot to get ideas on what modifications I might want and what the total cost would end up being. I'm new to Glock so I don't have any knowledge on what Generation is better or any of that.

I really don't have any complaints with the factory gun except after looking on Gunbroker I didn't see much for factory offerings with night sights. I would definitely like to have tritium sights if I go with a semi-auto. What tritium sights do people like best?

Also I see debate over using the hard cast loads in the factory barrel. If I get a new barrel what brand/length do people like best for the 10mm? I will probably practice some with lighter loads, but the primary purpose of this gun is to shoot hot loaded cast bullets for big 4 legged critters.

Any trigger mods or other things I should consider? The stock trigger on the one I tried (Gen 4) fine. I still am a trigger snob and don't mind improving one if I can do it without sacrificing reliability. Reliability is most important on this gun.

While we are at it what holsters are everyone's favorites? I'll likely end up with a hip holster and a chest rig or bino harness attached one.

I'll likely pack it on western scouting trips and AK hunting trips. If I'm hunting in bear country out west I'll have my 300 win mag and probably won't also pack the pistol. I might take it packing meat though. It will also probably go fishing and camping with me on the shallow sandy river I catfish on. I've been packing a Ruger P97 in 45 but if I get a 10mm with night sights I'll likely take it instead.

Thanks for your help.

Wrench

WKR
I've run through the gamut trying to get the g20 to shoot 200gr @ 1250 reliably.

Do not try to go light on the trigger. It sounds good, but I had failure to reset when it was light. Be careful with too much recoil spring. Somewhere around 22 lbs it gets the slide moving forward so fast that it takes more mag spring to keep up.

Imo, I'd go to a kkm barrel, and polish the factory internals. I like the Dawson precision sights, I would do black rear and tritium front on version 2.0.

I tried every spring, disconnect, hoobie doobie made to get a reliable rig that shoots accurate with any loads.....and that's what I ended up with.

Fatcamp

WKR
Factory gun and shoot your preferred load. If it's reliable leave it alone.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot hard cast from a factory barrel, in fact Buffalo Bore? has a page about it. Hard being the key word.

I shoot all 9mm Glock, but a whole lot of rounds through multiple pistols. Avoid monkeying around with it if possible.

Wrench

WKR
I'm not going to agree with shooting high pressure in the factory barrel. I have a few thousand rounds through mine and around 1150fps the cases look like a pregnant woman.

Can you do it, sure. The problem is if you get one bad case, or you reload....the chance to light the whole mag up is real.

The level of support the kkm offers over the stock barrel is substantial. There's no bulge vs a huge one.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
1) Would put tritium sights on them, either trijicon or meprolight... essentially the same thing.
2) Would get a stainless steel guide rod and 22lbs guide rod spring
3) Leave the trigger alone for best reliability
4) If you are going to shoot hard cast, you need to change the factory barrel. People that say you don't have shot hard cast a few times and nothing happened so must be good right? No, glock specifically says don't shoot hard cast for a reason. Drop in options are Storm Lake, KKM, or Bar-Sto, would stay away from Lone wolf
5) My personal holster set up is an ANR holster with RTI adapter on a GCODE RTI optimal drop plate. This set up puts the pistol dropped 2in, enough to clear my pack belt, but not so much of a drop that it pulls out at a weird angle on your draw. I have found with this set up, it is comfortable enough where you actually wear it all day after putting on 10-12 miles, and when you want to take it off, you just pull the holster off with the quick detach and don't have to mess with taking it off your belt. Can post pics if you like.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Looks like I will leave the trigger alone and modify the sights and barrel if I end up going this route for sure. Probably the guide rod and spring too.

Does the 10mm gain a lot by going to a 6” barrel? The KKM seemed to be a drop in with the longer barrel? I know my 357’s sure benefit from more barrel

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Now a lot of people don't agree but for bear defense I'd run Xs big dot sights

Factory trigger

Hornady xtp ammo gets rave reviews from a couple of my buddies who hunt stags and pigs in the thick stuff.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Problem I found with 6” barrel that extends from slide and 99.9% of holsters will leave the barrel exposed. If wearing on hip or drop down, can become a problem. If you slip side hilling or any other number of things you will have to remember to stop and check that barrel is clear or possibly be in for a very unfortunate surprise. If running a chest rig or get a glock 40 it’s not an issue. As far as what you will gain, maybe 50-150fps, which isn’t nothing but in my mind not worth it.
With the guide rod and spring, I have 22lbs springs in both my 20s, probably 3000ish rounds through them and had zero problems, to the contrary it handles the hot loads a lot better and usually will still cycle the lighter range stuff.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Good point on the barrel exposure. I hadn't thought of that. My holster I carry my 357 in has a closed bottom and fits snug enough to keep debris out of the top.

I’ve had a gen 3 G20 SF since 2012. Shot a lot of hardcast through it. What matters is you don’t shoot too much hardcast if it’s building up either from not being gas checked or not being hard enough. A 15 round mag at a time then a good clean or soMe jacketed rounds is t going to hurt anything. I carry double tap 200 gr WFNGC as that bullet design along with the beartooth are THE best 10mm hardcast bullet you can get or shoot. Doesn’t hit box flap velocities but it’s plenty fast, shoots well and functions 100%. Changing from the factory barrel is asking for reliability issues which is the whole reason you are carrying it and that chamber is designed to function. I often put mine in the holster in late August and it doesn’t come out until January and I’ll shoot it once when I take it out to make sure whatever I did to it throughout the season it still does it’s job. Usually have some sticky blood somewhere in the internals but it always goes bang and has t rusted yet with 7 years of that kind of use. 40-50 days afield on my pack hip belt and In the snow when I set my pack down. I use the Blackhawk Serpa holster and tape some black plastic over the end so nothing gets shoved into the barrel.

Don't overlook Underwood's loads. My factory 40 shoots them into one ragged hole at 30 yards. One addition I've really liked is a MRDS (Leupold DP Pro). Wasn't sure how I'd like it, but it's been fantastic. Makes hits at 100 yards pretty easy. I have a KT Mech holster with the molle attachement. Fit is fantastic, it has a permanent place on my Kifaru waist belt.

jmden

WKR
Running a G40.

-Ameriglo Pro-Glo night sites: https://ameriglo.com/collections/glock/products/glock-pro-glo-combination-sets

-KKM barrel

-Inforce APLc light

-Multi holsters OWB holster modified to take a Blackhawk CQC paddle (lets me switch between pack and pants).

-Jentra rod guide kit with applicable Wollf recoil springs depending on ammo used

-Jentra plug (helps seal up that big hole in the bottom of the grip to keep debris out that might cause a malfuntion)

-Hogue grip

-running 200g DoubleTap hardcast at nearly 1400 fps. That DT hardcast is specifically made for the 10mm case...

I put a lone wolf barrel and stainless guide rod assembly in my gen 4. It shoots the double tap 230 gr hardcast pretty well. I just put the xs big dot sights on it but haven’t shot it yet with them. I run a kenai chest holster or the razco with my fhf bino harness and fishing chest rig. Been kicking around the idea of having the slide milled to shave some weight, but I’m hesitant because it shoots so nice.

Tod osier

WKR
lots of great info here so far... My G20 is stock other than Trijicon HDs.

For a Gen 4 G20 what are people using for a guide rod adn heavier springs? I'm not seeing an aftermarket option with a Gen 4 style rod and heavier springs. What am I missing?