Glorified camping.... long ramble.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
After not drawing a tag this year in any of the western states I apply in and looking at how some of the states are proposing changing fees, draw allocation, etc (Wyoming) and seeing some of the recent trends on messages. I have been thinking more about glorified camping trips. Specifically some of the units I typically hunt but during the best time of the year or some of the OIL hunts. As I know I will never draw some of them as a NR. Pick the "best" elk, deer, sheep unit in your state or neighboring state for example.

Usually if I fill a tag, I say an extra day and experience a good portion of that day as if I was hunting. Whether it be exploring a new portion of the unit, going to a favorite glassing spot, etc. These are some of the days I enjoy the most, with a cooler full of meat & enjoying the sounds and sights, more than working for the opportunity to harvest. Fortunately, I have had mostly positive experiences with people who are still hunting. I attribute that to actually talking to each other and explaining I have filled and if I am seeing any game. I know I have shown game to people over the years and heard or watched them fill their tag, some stop back by or in camp to give thanks.

I have had so many great experiences on these days after the hunt, I have to name a few. Hearing wolves howl from a wall tent at night with the wife and boys. Being woke up repeatedly by elk bugling close by. And watching giant mule deer bucks rut does in the fog. But these memories have me realizing without a tag in my pocket, I don't take the time to go explore.

Finally, I know what I want to experience or more of what I know I don't want to experience. I don't want OTC hunts with orange armies. I would rather not be hunting and seeing animals in a natural state.

What adventures do some of you do to scratch the itch? Do you go on an annual scouting trip for the hunt you one day hope to draw?

Last edited:

Sherman

WKR
Last summer my two sons and myself took scouting trips with our packs, some Tenkara rods, and some flies. Learned a lot, caught some trout, and were able to disappear into the mountains fort 3-4 days at a time. Eventually found a spot in an OTC unit where we were certain there would be bulls during archery and a buddy ended up getting his first bull there. Never saw another hunter except one group who camped at the trailhead. We brought the horses for the 7 mile pack out.

0C9AD4AD-2977-408D-A8E5-760BAB805943.jpeg85679759-1002-4949-B6C8-36B0D8F343EF.jpeg

We will sometimes go up and camp/scout in years we don't draw tags. We take in the local culture, drink some local brews, sleep in, stay up late, Find some high spots to glass and stay out of the way. Explore parts of the units we hunt that we haven't been in (again taking care to stay out of the way) Do a little fishing, all the things we don't/can't do while hunting.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've done it several times in different states.
Family vacation / hiking / fishing trips / Spring Bear tag in the places
I want to do fall hunts.

OP
D

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
I get what your saying @thinhorn_AK , and is probably the main reason I haven't made specific trips when I don't have a tag. But I am starting to think how many more falls do I have in front of me to hear an elk bulge, even if I never leave camp...

Thanks all for the feedback, I do most of the other activities each year... fish, chase birds, turkey hunt, predators, etc. Just curious how many people make it an annual outing to go to somewhere special for a week and enjoy the place and animals.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I get what your saying @thinhorn_AK , and is probably the main reason I haven't made specific trips when I don't have a tag. But I am starting to think how many more falls do I have in front of me to hear an elk bulge, even if I never leave camp...

Thanks all for the feedback, I do most of the other activities each year... fish, chase birds, turkey hunt, predators, etc. Just curious how many people make it an annual outing to go to somewhere special for a week and enjoy the place and animals.
Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to make a point at all. I was just being a jackass. I wasn't saying that you shouldn't do what you're talking about.

OP
D

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
All good, I caught the sarcasm. I just don't think it is that common of a thing to go do. I despise the vacations to the beach, or Vegas trips, etc. I would rather spend a week in the woods I guess. Mostly seeing how other feel about it or have made it a ritual.