Why WY?

ianpadron

WKR
Alaska aside, WY is the last frontier and the closest thing to "the good ol days" of big game hunting.

The wilderness rule is 100% BS but tag allocations are actually pretty dang sweet compared to other Western states. They've got a good thing going

wyogoat

WKR
Alaska aside, WY is the last frontier and the closest thing to "the good ol days" of big game hunting.

The wilderness rule is 100% BS but tag allocations are actually pretty dang sweet compared to other Western states. They've got a good thing going
The wilderness rule is the second best thing about being a resident…definitely not BS to those of us who reside here and contribute to the state year round and most importantly, endure the winters for that amazing few months starting September 1.

Flyjunky

WKR
The wilderness rule is the second best thing about being a resident…definitely not BS to those of us who reside here and contribute to the state year round and most importantly, endure the winters for that amazing few months starting September 1.
I thought wilderness were federally managed?

Do you think hikers, fisherman, etc should fall under that same rule?

Last edited:

wyogoat

WKR
I think people should be able to recreate on it. But wildlife has to be managed differently than say a hiking trail due to there being a finite number of animals.
And I’ll apologize up front that I have an overly simplistic way of viewing that topic regarding wilderness. I’d have zero issue if Colorado or Montana said I couldn’t hunt those areas as a non-resident and I can’t wrap my head around the argument about federal land. That’s probably just because I don’t try to worry about how other states that I don’t reside in manage certain resources like wildlife. I just educate myself on what is allowed and go with it. Or I choose not to spend money on their tags. All the western states do certain things better and they all have things that could probably be improved.

Last edited:

Flyjunky

WKR
I think people should be able to recreate on it. But wildlife has to be managed differently than say a hiking trail due to there being a finite number of animals.
And I’ll apologize up front that I have an overly simplistic way of viewing that topic regarding wilderness. I’d have zero issue if Colorado or Montana said I couldn’t hunt those areas as a non-resident and I can’t wrap my head around the argument about federal land. That’s probably just because I don’t try to worry about how other states that I don’t reside in manage certain resources like wildlife. I just educate myself on what is allowed and go with it.
What about fish? It’s in the name….Wyoming Game and Fish. Aren’t there a finite number of fish, so why aren’t they managed the same?

I have absolutely no qualms about how Wyoming decides to give out their tags but excluding someone from out of state to hunt a FEDERAL wilderness, come on, that’s bs and you know it. The only reason you don’t care is because it benefits you.

Mark my words on this…the bitching, infighting, and I get mine attitude between hunters WILL be our downfall. While we’re busy fighting with each other groups are busy taking away opportunities. Look toward Oregon, Washington, Colorado, etc. We probably think because it’s Wyoming that it won’t come there, think again, these groups will use every means possible to end hunting.

OP
J

Jethro

WKR
@Jethro I change my answer. Now I’m going to go with the massive amount of unchecked unabashed hypocrisy that causes the most animosity.
You're not allowed to change your answer:ROFLMAO:.

The wilderness rule sucks, but if I was a WY resident I'd love it. So I don't expect for residents to take up cause to change it for me. I have hunted the wilderness often and its as good as any area of WY. But it is not the big game heaven that the allure of the internet makes it out to be. Often the wilderness was more crowded and more void of game than the plain jane national forest.

wyogoat

WKR
It seems like the only infighting comes from those complaining about being have-nots.
As I said I don’t involve myself in other states that i don’t have voting rights to affairs.
I don’t think it’s bs honestly. It’s how the state that I chose to move to over 20 years ago manages certain resources. Just as I don’t think how Montana manages their resources is bs for example. I have no say. If I wanted say I’d move there.
And as I said I can’t wrap my head around that federal land equal right argument so I’ll apologize for being ignorant on that to your feelings.
What it comes down to, along with the other thread that thankfully fizzled out since it went off the rails is either:
Move to Wyoming and become a registered voter, contribute to society here and the state then lobby for the change you feel needs to be made.
Boycott the states decisions by not applying for the tags or by recreating here.
Or just follow what is established by the state to be in their best interest just as most people do when they explore hunting other states.

I’d love to Dall sheep hunt Alaska without I guide but I can’t. I don’t complain about it, I just respect that’s what a state I have no say to decided.

Move to Wyoming, I’ll even show you around.

wyogoat

WKR
You're not allowed to change your answer:ROFLMAO:.

The wilderness rule sucks, but if I was a WY resident I'd love it. So I don't expect for residents to take up cause to change it for me. I have hunted the wilderness often and its as good as any area of WY. But it is not the big game heaven that the allure of the internet makes it out to be. Often the wilderness was more crowded and more void of game than the plain jane national forest.
As I said, as someone who moved here over 20 years ago to be a big game hunter every year instead of just talking about being a big game hunter, it’s the second best aspect of being a resident.

OP
J

Jethro

WKR
As I said, as someone who moved here over 20 years ago to be a big game hunter every year instead of just talking about being a big game hunter, it’s the second best aspect of being a resident.
What's the first best? OTC tags or the fact that there isn't many people in WY?

wyogoat

WKR
Or better yet all you wilderness complainers, befriend a WY resident! Have them take you. Problem solved. Equal access and you make a friend in the process…

Flyjunky

WKR
It seems like the only infighting comes from those complaining about being have-nots.
As I said I don’t involve myself in other states that i don’t have voting rights to affairs.
I don’t think it’s bs honestly. It’s how the state that I chose to move to over 20 years ago manages certain resources. Just as I don’t think how Montana manages their resources is bs for example. I have no say. If I wanted say I’d move there.
And as I said I can’t wrap my head around that federal land equal right argument so I’ll apologize for being ignorant on that to your feelings.
What it comes down to, along with the other thread that thankfully fizzled out since it went off the rails is either:
Move to Wyoming and become a registered voter, contribute to society here and the state then lobby for the change you feel needs to be made.
Boycott the states decisions by not applying for the tags or by recreating here.
Or just follow what is established by the state to be in their best interest just as most people do when they explore hunting other states.

I’d love to Dall sheep hunt Alaska without I guide but I can’t. I don’t complain about it, I just respect that’s what a state I have no say to decided.

Move to Wyoming, I’ll even show you around.
Good response but let’s call it what it is, no need to dance around it…it’s just another welfare program for outfitters. When any other out of state person can use the wilderness for any purpose except hunting it’s pretty obvious.

It was brought up about managing the game because it’s a finite resource, don’t they manage it that way in every region? Why would wilderness areas be different?

Dall sheep is an apples to watermelon comparison. The population differences alone are huge. Could you imagine how many sub legals would be shot if any Joe blow could go hunt? That would be like saying Wyoming wilderness elk could only be shot if they were at least 5 years old and their rack extended back to at least the 6th rib…that’s why we require a guide.

The wilderness discussion has been beat to death but I do understand where you’re coming from. When I do get back to Wyoming in a few years I’ll be grateful as always. On a side note, even though my plates say Oregon I’ve never had a bad interaction with a resident. Most times I think you receive what you put out there.

wyogoat

WKR
Good response but let’s call it what it is, no need to dance around it…it’s just another welfare program for outfitters. When any other out of state person can use the wilderness for any purpose except hunting it’s pretty obvious.

It was brought up about managing the game because it’s a finite resource, don’t they manage it that way in every region? Why would wilderness areas be different?

Dall sheep is an apples to watermelon comparison. The population differences alone are huge. Could you imagine how many sub legals would be shot if any Joe blow could go hunt? That would be like saying Wyoming wilderness elk could only be shot if they were at least 5 years old and their rack extended back to at least the 6th rib…that’s why we require a guide.

The wilderness discussion has been beat to death but I do understand where you’re coming from. When I do get back to Wyoming in a few years I’ll be grateful as always. On a side note, even though my plates say Oregon I’ve never had a bad interaction with a resident. Most times I think you receive what you put out there.
I agree with a lot of what you say and you’re right, the outfitter lobby in Wyoming is a powerful one. I don’t look at it necessarily as a gross injustice and probably just because I am not super affected by the wilderness restriction and I do benefit. Absolutely. I even plan my elk season around that some years since I know those elk are less pressured than some of my other spots.
I really never even knew there were issues with that restriction until this site so it’s new to me and like I said, I can’t wrap my head around the NR resident issues with it. But that’s probably my own ignorance.

Personally i just like to complain , bitch , whine and stir up trouble . Lol . No really i think most guys see it as one of the "last best places" and if it goes the way of some of the other elk hunting states it will become out of reach not just financially but probably more with increasing time to draw a tag. I agree above if colorado changes their system there will be a few "angry" threads pop up.

Archer86

WKR
Any wilderness rule is crap. I am a wyoming resident and I have hunted wilderness areas on foot and on horses. any wilderness rule is to help outfitters get wealthy hunters on the books.

Alaska is no different with the sheep goat and brown bear rule any nr that is going to go in there and try and hunt any of those e is not going to be a average joe blow that doesn't know what they are doing. How many sub legal rams are killed every year by residents of alaska?