Gloves for Process Elk in the Cold

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
they look very similar to the ones listed on Amazon, should do the trick

I like the idea of cut resistant, I’ve nicked myself a couple of times- always a little worrisome

I don't have the ability to cut & paste or whatever you call it, but I bought a pair of Memphis Ninja Ice Gloves. I use them mainly when handling dry ice, and they protect from that. They are insulated and double layer. They feel similar to neoprene, but are designed to handle dry ice. I paid $8.00 for them on Ebay.

I used some lighter weight gloves with latex gloves over them on a really cold mule deer hunt. It worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk97

WKR
I use these for cleaning fish in the winter with a cotton liner inside. Great grip and snug fit so using a knife is pretty easy and offers some protection from cuts, and they're cheap. These are the standard for the commercial fishermen/crabbers around here. Not a lot of insulation but better than a nitrile that has no grip. You might be able to get a hand warmer in there, never tried it. The insulated Atlas gloves are too thick to do fine work with a knife.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas and others carry the HME field dressing glove kits. It a four piece kit that is has nitrile gloves and orange gloves that come up to your elbow. The orange gloves are oversized and easily fit over liners and most mid-weight gloves. I wear a pair of the dipped insulated gloves under them. I wish the orange gloves had more grip but they allow you to get most things done without any problems and they are disposable.

111F6274-5ADD-444F-BAA9-6CF9707E2A82.png

Sadler

WKR
I normally use a glove liners and latex gloves but for eleven bucks, I’m giving these a shot this year.
7605BC6B-39C1-40CD-A343-E8953279972D.jpeg

Sadler

WKR
Those are certainly warm and waterproof. I have a pair. Would be hard to perform dexterous tasks though as they are quite bulky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must have a pair rated for a lower temp. These arnt very bulky and should work great for quartering elk and deer.

nphunter

WKR
I wear wool liners all hunting season. They keep pitch off and help in the cold. Wool has good insulating property’s even when it’s wet. My hands stay warm and I just give them a good rinse and throw them in the wash after. I’ve worn Sitka, Kuiu and First Lite merino liners and they all work about the same.

They really work, even on days like this.
490AF0AD-5B7D-4B65-9C17-F0E4D61D9B08.jpeg

squirrel

WKR
I've done this a lot and it's just about impossible to beat a SHOWA cut proof glove with a latex (meatcutter's) glove over it. If it is -10 or colder I would recommend first job is gather wood and build a fire BEFORE you actually need it (ref... to build a fire... by Jack London) Adding an insulating glove to this is just asking for a slip and a severe cut due to loss of dexterity. Maintaining the fire gives you a mental break as well as most bloodshed is as you get tired and sloppy after an hour or so of tugging and cutting. The showa gloves are amazing you can use your hand as a cutting board and it will be OK. BUT they do not protect against stabs and punctures and are in no way an insulated cold weather glove. Just dispose of the latex gloves every fire break and have 10-20 for the job. If you choose no fire I guess you could toss the latex and put on a snowmobile mitten over your SHOWA so your hands would get warm and the mitten wouldn't get nasty and wet with gore on the inside.