Goat rifle

brockel

WKR
So I was lucky enough to win a British Columbia mountain goat hunt that will be taking place this spring. I currently have a tikka 6.5 creedmoor loaded with 140 grain Berger vld but the wife gave me the go ahead to get another rifle. Having never been around a mountain goat do you think I should get another rifle for a once in a lifetime hunt or should I just take the 6.5 creedmoor. The other rifle I was looking at was a Christensen arms fft in 300 prc

madcalfe

WKR
So I was lucky enough to win a British Columbia mountain goat hunt that will be taking place this spring. I currently have a tikka 6.5 creedmoor loaded with 140 grain Berger vld but the wife gave me the go ahead to get another rifle. Having never been around a mountain goat do you think I should get another rifle for a once in a lifetime hunt or should I just take the 6.5 creedmoor. The other rifle I was looking at was a Christensen arms fft in 300 prc
congrats! I live in BC and hunt goats and sheep every year.
6.5creed with 140's will work fine for goats.
you definitely don't need to go to a 300prc.
I run a custom 20" 300wsm shooting 178gr eldx and looking to even go down to a 7ss
how's your gear? scope, backpack, clothing, binos. boots, id probably start there before a new rifle considering your running a tikka

OP
B

brockel

WKR
congrats! I live in BC and hunt goats and sheep every year.
6.5creed with 140's will work fine for goats.
you definitely don't need to go to a 300prc.
I run a custom 20" 300wsm shooting 178gr eldx and looking to even go down to a 7ss
how's your gear? scope, backpack, clothing, binos. boots, id probably start there before a new rifle considering your running a tikka
Already own Trijicon scope for the new rifle, exo 3500 pack, clothing I’m good on might add a little to this, Swarovski binos, kenetreks boots so I’m pretty well set there. That’s why I’m looking at new rifles

Get your gear up to snuff if you need to before the rifle. Shot placement is key and the creed will do the job if you do yours. Most shots aren’t very far, but goats are tough and I’ve seen them take bullets from big magnums and barely flinch. Hit them in the right spot they die just as quick as any other animal though.

OP
B

brockel

WKR
Get your gear up to snuff if you need to before the rifle. Shot placement is key and the creed will do the job if you do yours. Most shots aren’t very far, but goats are tough and I’ve seen them take bullets from big magnums and barely flinch. Hit them in the right spot they die just as quick as any other animal though.
Already own Trijicon scope for the new rifle, exo 3500 pack, clothing I’m good on might add a little to this, Swarovski binos, kenetreks boots

madcalfe

WKR
Already own Trijicon scope for the new rifle, exo 3500 pack, clothing I’m good on might add a little to this, Swarovski binos, kenetreks boots so I’m pretty well set there. That’s why I’m looking at new rifles
well a 3500ci for mountain hunting is pretty tiny granted your being guided so take it for what its worth, I don't know what the style of hunt your guide does. but id look into their 4800 or 6400 if your running the K3
what about spotter/ range finder?
as much as i want to spend someone else's money on a new gun i don't see anything wrong with a tikka. could also look into making the tikka nicer. new stock.

I’d agree, if it’s a multi day hunt and with winter clothing coming along a smaller pack gets full with junk quickly. Add in crampons and other stuff that may be needed, you may want to upgrade your pack size.

madcalfe

WKR
also what does your sleep system look like? tent/ sleeping pad/ sleeping bag. lol nows's the time to splurge on the higher end lighter equipment if the wife is letting you lmao.

gerry35

WKR
Your Creed will work fine, no need for a 300 PRC. If you really want a new gun something in the range of 270 Win/6.8 Western up to the 7mm RM is ideal. Stick a rapid expanding bullet of decent weight in the lungs and you'll do fine. Good luck, who are you hunting with?

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I echo what the others have said, maybe get a bigger bag for your pack. The 6.5 Tikka will work fine. If you want to drop some coin a Wildcat or other fibregalss/carbon stock would make it lighter.

WKR
Shot mine with a 6.5-06 and 140 vld. Dropped on the spot with shoulder shot. What you have will work but sometimes that takes the fun out of it. Good luck either way, hope you get a big one.