Going back to work after retirement.

I retired early also and have taken a few jobs over the past 5 years, I find it rewarding at first then frustrating if it gets monotonous or the fishing gets really good.

Seriously though, if you’re going to do it make sure it’s something you really want to do not just a time filler.

An older fella once told me “ There’s no such thing as part time work, just part time pay....

z987k

WKR
I'm 34 and I'd retire tomorrow if I could. Money is the only thing stopping me. Get that imagination working. I cannot fathom getting bored without a job. There is so much more to life than working for some asshole. You've spent enough of your life doing that. Now go live for you.

Fullfan

WKR
I retired at 49, made it 4 years before I went back. I kept busy the first few years. Had a lot of down time. You can only hunt and fish so much. Local school called me, offered me something I could not pass. I work no more than 3 days a week. And I make my schedule for myself and another retired LOE. Give me the $ to feed my addiction, deer, turkeys and elk.
My only responsibility is to shoot back if someone comes in shooting... It also gives me a sense of purpose.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I gave the utility industry 30+ years and I'm currently in my rediscovery phase.
I taught at state university of forestry for a year and the schedule was fine, the salary was light, my kids won a national award on energy efficiency but the structure wasn't for me
I designed and built the infrastructure of a distribution building for a major home décor company during the "year of COVID" I will do stuff like this in the future but not as a primary.
With a couple of partners I have built a company that creates renewable natural gas from waste products and captures the CO2 for further use, It has the added benefit of cleaning up watersheds by removing some of the nutrients that flowed in.
But I always planned on doing something as a second act, I always need an activity that occupies the mind or I get antsy and my wife would throw me out

bozeman

WKR
Some people dream of retirement but it’s mainly those who have made bad life choices and do not have a role fulfilling their purpose. I hear them all the time where i serve. That’s what I would ask: What is your purpose here? Answer that and you will never ‘work’ another day in your life and not dream your life away waiting to retire! Wish you the best in your search.

coelk81

FNG
I retired in 2015 after 22 years in the military. I have learned that the mental heatlh is more important than money. Being retired I have that option to choose what I WANT to do on "side jobs". As it is right now I work 2 jobs 7 days a week. I work on a horse ranch in Boerne TX mon-thurs, and Fri-sun I work for my wife's kayaking business. Both of which I enjoy and WANT to be there. It keeps me busy, and brings in some extra cash which I save specifically save for my elk hunting. I found that if I wasn't working I was irritable and not very pleasant to be around. So I fixed the problem and make some extra money on the side. So for not only my mental health but for those around me, retirement is great, but the need to keep busy is greater.

OP
C

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I've been the asshole for almost 30 years. I have responsible for making a living for multiple people for most of
my life as in employees. I have been hunting or fishing or running a trapline or hiking whatever I can do to stay busy. But I can tell that my current attitude is uncomfortable for my bride. We have a great relationship but I feel like I am taking this out on her .

ODB

WKR
I retired at 49, made it 4 years before I went back. I kept busy the first few years. Had a lot of down time. You can only hunt and fish so much. Local school called me, offered me something I could not pass. I work no more than 3 days a week. And I make my schedule for myself and another retired LOE. Give me the $ to feed my addiction, deer, turkeys and elk.
My only responsibility is to shoot back if someone comes in shooting... It also gives me a sense of purpose.

100% - purpose is very important. When I was in college at UW, there was an older gentleman in my Romantic Poetry (as in the era, not valentines) class (our professor was a renown Coleridge expert and was at least 70 herself) . Because I was older (41) we became friends because everyone else was 20 and already knew everything.

One day I asked him how old he was and why he was in class - he said he was 78 and he was taking classes to finish his english degree. It turned out he was a doctor who taught at the school and worked three days a week as well. He said he had watched many of his colleagues retire and wound up frittering away their time, decline, and even eventually die off bored. Said he wanted none of that full-time retirement business and decided to keep working and get back in class. When I think of my dad, who just turned 80, I see a guy who retired too early at 65 (he could easily still work as he is an electrical engineer) and doesn't know what to do with himself. Keep busy, keep doing new things, and keep alive.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm 34 and I'd retire tomorrow if I could. Money is the only thing stopping me. Get that imagination working. I cannot fathom getting bored without a job. There is so much more to life than working for some asshole. You've spent enough of your life doing that. Now go live for you.
No crap. I have so many hobbies and trips I'd like to do. If I could quit tomorrow, I'd be shed hunting, then hooking the raft up and living out of my truck fishing like a bum all summer. I get some guys are different, but if I live till retirement I'll have no problem finding stuff to do.

slvrslngr

WKR
My dad retired and spent a few years not working, after a while was just trying to stay sane. He decided to work again but doing something he enjoys, so took a job at a brewery as the head keg washer and filler, plus whatever else they ask him to do. The brewery manager loves him and so he has a lot of flexibility with his schedule. Plus all the beer he can drink!

So, if you decide to go back to work, do something you love. No point in being unhappy in retirement.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I "retired" after 24 years of game warden work, but wasn't really ready to really retire, so took a job doing contract work for a federal agency. Recently went to half time with them and am enjoying alternating 4 and 5 day weekends. I'm going to fully the pin at the end of this year.

I think the part time work is a good transition to fully retiring, it also reinforced that I like time off :D

dtrkyman

WKR
Go volunteer somewhere. Gives you some purpose and no obligation until you find what you are looking for!

I am retired 4 years from a job I loved as an IBEW #3 Journeyman, and working with a bunch of (mostly) great and fascinating people in the building trades of NYC. So far, I have not entertained the thought of going back to work.... not even once. And, to be honest, I don't think I ever will.

I'm financially secure, though I'm not wealthy by any means. I hunt and fish all over the country and have adventures planned for years to come. When I'm home, I stay busy doing home renovations, and gardening and boating with the love of my life. She's a lampwork and silver artist and I help her out with her business. We socialize with friends, travel and stay quite busy. My life is so full of joy and interests that I could never imagine going back to work. I've worked 38 years at my trade to enjoy this time in my life. I wish the same for everyone after a lifetime of labor.

I retired at 54 also an electrician, but I have been buildng up a business. I build hand made acoustic guitars and do repairs. It’s satisfying work but sometimes it feels like f’ing work. So lately if I get too buried I finish the guitar I’m working on, hang a gone fishing sign and go fishing. It’s important to do something where you feel you can say no or “yes, six weeks from now”

Oregon

WKR
Retired at 50. Started a seasonal job the next day. I don’t like summer at all. Days are way too long and fishing is the only summer activity I enjoy.
So, I decided to take people fishing for 6 months out of the year. Last trip of the year is Sep 30 th. First is next Friday. Perfect timing since our late goose season closes Wednesday!
Might get a shower, shave and haircut to commemorate my first day back at work next week.

manitou1

WKR
I retired this past Monday, March 1st. Turned sixty Tuesday. We are finishing up our house build in WY and I will be moving there in two weeks. My wife is younger and still working. I have many hobbies: Reloading, rifle and bowhunting, fly fishing... but I already fear I will get bored.

ZDR

WKR
I retired in January at 62 after 40+ years of working. Now its about maximizing the time I have and the days are just flying by. Hunting, hiking, fishing, planning hunts, shooting my bow have all taken on a deeper satisfaction than before as I now have time to do it the way I always wanted to.