Going light on the cheap: Savage 16 LWH Review

JDZ

WKR
Has anybody shot their LWH through a chronograph? What kind of velocity reductions are you seeing with the 20-in barrel? Mostly interested in factory loads, where I'd have something to compare it to, but you handloaders might know how it compares to something in a longer barrel, too.

Has anybody shot their LWH through a chronograph? What kind of velocity reductions are you seeing with the 20-in barrel? Mostly interested in factory loads, where I'd have something to compare it to, but you handloaders might know how it compares to something in a longer barrel, too.

It's a fair piece slower - around 100fps... Looking through my notes:

-For 6.5 CM-

Handload - 130 VLD hunter - 42.5 IMR 4451 2700 FPS average - max load - work up/not liable - book says should be pushing around 2800

Handload - 127 LRX - 42.5 IMR 4451 2830-2850 FPS Avg

Factory - 140 ELD-Match - 2566 FPS - 10 shot avg. - Box states 2710FPS
Factory - 143 ELD-X - 2609 FPS - 10 shot avg. - Box states 2700FPS

So yea - around 100fps slower - not terrible, and most loads are tested with a 24 in. barrel - so around 25fps per inch of barrel.

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
My 16 LWH took 37 rounds down the barrel before it started shooting sub MOA, it was 3-4 MOA at best before whatever broke in.

Also an update on progress (or lack thereof):
I took the LWH out again this past weekend and shot it quite a bit. I'm still struggling to get the little bugger to shoot how I'm hoping it would/will. I tried a bunch of different loads and got a lot of inconsistency. I got a few groups right around 2", but still nothing much below that. However there were several much larger groups mixed in including some that were 4"+.

Most of the groups were extremely variable even with the same ammo. Very frustrating... and humbling. I'm pretty confident that the variability was more me than the equipment. I've been shooting and hunting for a long time (25+ years) and I'm usually confident that I can get a rifle to shoot close to its potential... but this rifle doesn't feel like I've gotten it to that point yet.

To reduce possible sources of error, I rechecked stock action screws, and scope mounts and they were all tight and to spec. Before I ever shot the thing, I marked the scope with a pencil to watch for any movement and it hasn't moved a millimeter. I cleaned the bore before this shooting session, and twice during.

My shooting conditions were pretty crappy again, and that played a role for sure. Gusty winds were occasionally strong enough to physically move me and the rifle slightly while shooting. Plus it was COLD and I struggled to keep my hands from going/staying numb.

As it sits now, I'm going to look at this rifle as a challenge, and a tool to hopefully improve my shooting in general. If I can get it to the point where I can get consistent sub-2 moa groups then I will hunt with it. If not, I want to at least see it shoot consistently badly...if that makes sense. Then I can at least write it off, without reservations.

I have a feeling the rifle is capable of 1.5 moa, and I need to up my game with a lightweight rifle. I’ve been doing research on different techniques to shoot light rifles well and I added a good article I found at the end of this post, if anyone else is interested. I am hopeful that if I practice, I’ll get it dialed. But it may turn out to be more trouble than it is worth. If I am inconsistent with it then I won’t be comfortable with it in the field, and definitely will not take a shot at an animal with it.

Then again, maybe this rifle is a lemon... I can get my Tikka to shoot consistently <1 moa and it only outweighs the LWH by a little over a pound.

Still some more experimenting to do. I am not ready to totally write it off...yet.

American Rifleman | How to Shoot Light Rifles

My 16 LWH took 37 rounds down the barrel before it started shooting sub MOA, it was 3-4 MOA at best before whatever broke in.

All of my savages, and the 2-3 others I have direct experience with, shoot best dirty... wondering if some of that is what you are experiencing...

Would be an interesting experiment to do a good clean and then see how many shots to get back to sub MOA.

It doesn't take near that many shots for me - by the 7th shot, it is tightening up, and then by 15ish or so I'm usually golden.

GKPrice

Banned
All of my savages, and the 2-3 others I have direct experience with, shoot best dirty... wondering if some of that is what you are experiencing...

Would be an interesting experiment to do a good clean and then see how many shots to get back to sub MOA.

It doesn't take near that many shots for me - by the 7th shot, it is tightening up, and then by 15ish or so I'm usually golden.

15 shots would tell me to shoot it dirty and test how many rounds until it LOST accuracy

15 shots would tell me to shoot it dirty and test how many rounds until it LOST accuracy

yup - have not really had that happen yet... I clean around twice a year (after hunting season and maybe mid summer if I shoot a lot in the spring), and I shoot 2-300 rounds a year.

JDZ

WKR

I think that's what I may be experiencing. I kept cleaning it because I thought that's what I was supposed to do for break in. Even after the first 50 rounds, I was still clashing it every 8 to 12 shots. Now, I haven't cleaned it in 20 or so and it is starting to tighten up....I think.

I think that's what I may be experiencing. I kept cleaning it because I thought that's what I was supposed to do for break in. Even after the first 50 rounds, I was still clashing it every 8 to 12 shots. Now, I haven't cleaned it in 20 or so and it is starting to tighten up....I think.

Ah yea... not necessarily a bad thing - I usually clean several times in my first 50 shots...

I'de let her go now for a range session or two - and see what you come up with :)

I'm more and more a fan of not cleaning unless the gun says it needs it - aka accuracy falls off (Always clean my actions and outsides after range sessions tho)

Good luck!

Last edited:
FYI with the LWH stock - I have NOT ran into any issues shooting off a bipod - my group pics were all shot off a bipod... I know there is some concern with the stock. I think the stock is short enough on the LWH with enough clearance, that it is a non-issue - and I changed the stock on my 116 to a B&C for the same concerns...

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Got out to shoot the LWH again today. Been focused on chasing winter steelhead for the last few weeks, not shooting. Great weather for shooting and the rifle shot really well today. I feel like I'm getting better at shooting it, but it has definitely improved too. My theory is the barrel on my rifle really needed to be shot quite a bit to smooth things out. The rifle is really displaying a preference for 150 grain bullets. Today I shot federal blue box, fusion, Barnes ttsx, and hornady American whitetail interlocks, all in 150. All shot 1.5" or better at 110 yds. I have now tried A LOT of different types of ammo. Today I also shot some 165s and 180s. The rifle didn't like any of them. >3" groups.

After I got things dialed in I shot at a 4" steel target from field positions for awhile. 50yds off hand, 75yds kneeling, 100yds sitting. Bang, clang, every time...well ALMOST every time. WAY more fun than shooting groups off a rest!

Got out to shoot the LWH again today. Been focused on chasing winter steelhead for the last few weeks, not shooting. Great weather for shooting and the rifle shot really well today. I feel like I'm getting better at shooting it, but it has definitely improved too. My theory is the barrel on my rifle really needed to be shot quite a bit to smooth things out. The rifle is really displaying a preference for 150 grain bullets. Today I shot federal blue box, fusion, Barnes ttsx, and hornady American whitetail interlocks, all in 150. All shot 1.5" or better at 110 yds. I have now tried A LOT of different types of ammo. Today I also shot some 165s and 180s. The rifle didn't like any of them. >3" groups.

After I got things dialed in I shot at a 4" steel target from field positions for awhile. 50yds off hand, 75yds kneeling, 100yds sitting. Bang, clang, every time...well ALMOST every time. WAY more fun than shooting groups off a rest!

Shooting at steel is way more fun. After I discovered that I purchased a 8" AR500 gong to use for field practice. Set it up at 200-500 yards and shoot. They say the vital area is about the size of a 9" pie plate, so I figure an 8" gong is going to be good practice. A lot more fun than punching paper... besides, I'm not shooting 3 shot groups when I'm hunting, that first shot is everything.

Also, your pictures aren't loading. Try uploading them to a site like imgur and then embedding them into your post.

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
5 shots federal cheap blue box power shok 150gr.

E4e89fD.jpg

5 shots Barnes 150 ttsx

CzEKUI8.jpg

3 shot group fed 150 power shok (fired SLOW to let barrel cool)

S0xtLsn.jpg

Fusion 150s. First 2 shots on top of each other. 3rd went for a walk, as the barrel got warm. I didn't do my part on the trigger for number 3 either. I had a couple other good groups with the fusions that showed 3 shots right at 1.5".

NJUTUw4.jpg

4 shots Hornady 150 interlock American whitetail

IH5ciik.jpg

Again, my gun does not like 165 and 180 grainers. With the one exception of Fed Gold Medal Match with 175 Sierra matchking (which shot 3 around 1.5"). If anyone gets a LWH, don't give up on it until you put A LOT of rounds down range. Mine settled down around 60 rounds, and seemed to continue to improve a little even after that. I now believe this is a 1 moa rifle. I'm rarely a 1 moa shooter, with it. But it will be more than accurate enough for my purposes of deer and elk inside of 300yds (hopefully well inside of 300 yds)

Now you are talking... nice shooting!

There is a learning curve and they are not as forgiving... but they can be rewarding if you stick with it :)

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider

This could be it too. I never clean the bore of any of my rifles. I might run some oil in one that is going to be put up for years, but that is it. I have probably 200 rounds down the Savage LWH and it has never been cleaned and still shoots around .75 MOA on factory loads. If the groups start opening up might entertain the thought of cleaning my rifle. My Tikka 300 WM has around 300-400 rounds down it and also never been cleaned, still shoots amazing.

JDZ

WKR
Well, I tried Federal Premium Trophy Copper 150 gr in my .308. I think it's the first factory load I've found repeatable results with, so far. I think I've found a combo of a load the gun likes, me being more comfortable with the rifle, and the barrel being a bit dirty. Last night I shot a 5-shot group a little smaller than I shot this 3-shot group tonight.

18140b64e4084030a6e252ac177ab2f3.jpg

Well, I tried Federal Premium Trophy Copper 150 gr in my .308. I think it's the first factory load I've found repeatable results with, so far. I think I've found a combo of a load the gun likes, me being more comfortable with the rifle, and the barrel being a bit dirty. Last night I shot a 5-shot group a little smaller than I shot this 3-shot group tonight.

18140b64e4084030a6e252ac177ab2f3.jpg

looks good!
Go hunting :)

Tod osier

WKR
That is great. I shot the one I bought for my son (.308 LWH 16) the other day and I was pleased that it shot really well with the reduced loads I tried in it (both TTSX 110s I loaded and Hornady Custom Lite). I haven't shot it much with regular hunting ammo other than a box of core-lokts (shot fine). Thanks for keeping the updates coming in, I've been following along.

Last edited:

JDZ

WKR
What scope mounts are you guys putting on your LWHs? I bought the scope I plan to hunt with and I'm considering Talley Lightweights or DNZ Game Reaper. Would consider Burris Signature Zee Rings, but I don't think I can get as low as I'd like with a 30 mm tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
I have a cheap B-square rail on mine, with alloy Leupold mounts. Simple, secure & gives more eye relief adjustment options that a fixed base.

The el cheapo Federal Blue Box has shot lights out in all of my .30 cal Savage rifles.

I shoot the Barnes Vortex out of my lightweight Ruger .308 Great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found the cheap blue box federal to shoot very well also. Its funny because the expensive barnes and fed premium trophy bonded bear claw have shot like dogsh!t.