Going light on the cheap: Savage 16 LWH Review

What scope mounts are you guys putting on your LWHs? I bought the scope I plan to hunt with and I'm considering Talley Lightweights or DNZ Game Reaper. Would consider Burris Signature Zee Rings, but I don't think I can get as low as I'd like with a 30 mm tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the Leupold Alloys.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JDZ

WKR
I ended up with a VX-3i 4.5-14x40 in Talley Lightweight rings on my .308. It shoots factory Federal Premium Trophy Copper 150s about 1 MOA at 2750 fps. Killed one buck with one shot in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kad11

WKR
Are you guys still liking these after a season or two of use?

I'm looking at either a 6.5 creedmoor or 308 to use when looking for mature, post-rut bulls. One of these would be really handy on steep grades and match stick deadfall.

6.5 or 308 for mature bulls inside 400 yds?

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
I am not the OP, and i realize this is an old thread, but thank you to all those who contributed. I read every post and learned a lot!

JDZ

WKR
I like. Haven't shoot an animal with it since 2017, but it still punches little patterns thru paper.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Are you guys still liking these after a season or two of use?

I'm looking at either a 6.5 creedmoor or 308 to use when looking for mature, post-rut bulls. One of these would be really handy on steep grades and match stick deadfall.

6.5 or 308 for mature bulls inside 400 yds?

They go boom, and generally shoot ok. There were a few people in my group that rushed out and bought them, used the heck out of them, and all but one has moved on and the lone holdout this year will replace his before next season. It’s a Savage. The action is sub par, the trigger is ok, the stocks are garbage, precision is usually decent.

In contrast, for a couple ounces more one can get one of the best actions, trigger, barrel, and a completely serviceable stock.

kad11

WKR
Good to hear some feedback. They're tempting right now at < $500, but I should probably save a few more seasons for something better. I'm not a collector and guns are just tools to me, but I definitely want something with repeatable and reliable precision.

Form, are you referring to a tikka superlite?

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
So I originally posted the review and I've still got mine... in fact used it to fill my blacktail doe/spike tag less than a week ago. It put the bullet exactly where I wanted it. Overall, it is a pretty good rifle. I have shot it quite a bit. I ditched the vortex quickly and replaced it with a Leupold 2-7, which I like MUCH better. And don't love Leupolds all that much. Anyhow, it has become my woods rifle. It carries well as it is light and compact. It is pretty darn accurate too. It'll routinely do 1 MOA with 150 gr Barnes ttsx and cheap federal ammo. When hunting in spots where 100 yd+ shots aren't gonna happen, light and quick with the 2-7x scope is perfect. I also don't worry about the savage in the rain/snow, getting dirty, dragged through brush, etc. I also have two tikka T3xs. One SS lite (30-06) and one Superlite (6.5). I agree with Form, they are all around better rifles. If you are going to get one gun, get a Tikka in 30-06 and go out and kill anything/everything. The one thing I'll give the savage over the tikka is I'd rather carry/still hunt/ walk around with the savage... like I said before light, compact, and quick. But part of that can be attributed to the scopes I put on the tikkas. Good luck with whatever you decide to get!

apz64yU.jpg

Apollo117

WKR
I've had my LWH in .308 for 3 years. I like it a lot. It shoots consistent 1.5 MOA groups. I attribute the 1.5 MOA groups to the Trijicon Accupoint with a giant amber triangle for a reticle.